Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-04-02, 03:35 PM   #1
veloLexus

Default Centering screen w/Windows and Linux???

I have an Asus V7100 which as a GeForce 2 MX400 chip with 32 megs of RAM. I'm running two OSes on my machine, Windows 2000 and Linux (Debian potato release with XFree86 v4).

I just bought a new 19" NEC MultiSync FP912sb. I'm running it at 1280x960, 24 bits, at an 85Hz refresh rate on both the Windows boot and the Linux boot. While running under W2k, I adjusted my screen geometry (with the monitors controls) so that the edges of the image line up nicely with the chassis. My problem is that when I run under Linux the image is shifted down and to the right. I tried xvidtune but that did not solve the problem (when I adjust it so that the image starts to get close to where it should be, the top of the image gets quite distorted which I'm guessing is a bad thing for the monitor... if not it's still ugly to look at).

I'm wondering if anyone knows how I would go about setting up the Linux environment so that it's telling my video card to spit out the same exact parameters that the Windows environment is spitting out? I don't want to have to manually adjust the screen geometry manually every time I switch my boot drive.

Cheers, Joe
veloLexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-02, 06:41 AM   #2
Ffelagund

Default Re

With the same resolution and vertical frecuency (Hz) the screen whould be in the same position in the two systems
Ffelagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-02, 07:42 AM   #3
bwkaz

Just curious, but how do you know the Linux setup is running it at 85Hz?

Yes, if the resolution and frequency is the same, then the picture will be in the same place...
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-02, 09:55 AM   #4
Ffelagund

Default Re

I dont remember how i make it, but mi linux desktop are at 85 Hz, as same as mi win2000 pro desktop
Ffelagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-02, 10:05 AM   #5
Chalnoth

The screen position will only be the same at the same resolution/refresh rate if you've installed nVidia's drivers. The drivers that come with Redhat don't have the same screen alignment (and presumably other distros...).
Chalnoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-02, 11:50 AM   #6
veloLexus

Quote:
Originally posted by bwkaz
Just curious, but how do you know the Linux setup is running it at 85Hz?

Yes, if the resolution and frequency is the same, then the picture will be in the same place...
The OSD built into most monitors will usually have a status display that tells you the horizontal and vertical sync rates. Here's the catch, the frequencies ARE the same on both boxes (they're off by .Hz actually but that's not going to make a huge difference).

Joe
Old 12-05-02, 11:52 AM   #7
veloLexus

Quote:
Originally posted by Chalnoth
The screen position will only be the same at the same resolution/refresh rate if you've installed nVidia's drivers. The drivers that come with Redhat don't have the same screen alignment (and presumably other distros...).
On the Linux boot I do have the nVidia drivers installed however on the W2k boot I have the Asus drivers installed. I'll try downloading a generic nVidia driver for the W2k box and see if that works.

Cheers, Joe
Old 12-05-02, 12:29 PM   #8
veloLexus

Quote:
Originally posted by veloLexus
I'll try downloading a generic nVidia driver for the W2k box and see if that works.
Nope, no luck there.

Old 12-06-02, 05:49 PM   #9
Chalnoth

Well, are you sure that the nVidia drivers are being used? That is, the one thing that you must do beyond installing nVidia's drivers in Linux is to edit the XF86Config-4 file.

In particular, you need to change the string "nv" to "nvidia"
Chalnoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-02, 09:20 PM   #10
altnv

i was reading in the www.linuxnewbie.org site and came across this thread that mentioned how to adjust the display resolution by using the output of xvidtune

http://www.linuxnewbie.org/forum/sho...light=xvidtune
altnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-02, 11:08 PM   #11
altnv

the following site is a more define way on how the monitor can be used to fine tune the resolution

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=576

thought this will help to get the resolution setup correct.
altnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-02, 11:51 PM   #12
Wolfman [TWP]
Geforce 8800 GTS 512

Make sure that your horizontal & vertical sync information for that monitor is correctly setup in the XF86Config file. (That info should be listed in the monitors manual)

I run a 19" Philips monitor and the screen alignment for both Linux (RH8.0) and Win98SE are the same. (At home)

The Nvidia driver loaded will also help with this.
(The default nv driver will NOT align correctly)

As the 'nvidia' driver talks to the video card better hence gets the correct information from the monitor.

(Same goes for the Sony Multiscan 400PS I use here at the office. The screen alignment is the same for RH8.0 and Win2K)

Wolfman [TWP] is offline   Reply With Quote