Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-04-02, 05:19 PM   #1
spifford

Send a message via Yahoo to spifford
Question Geforce4 ti 4200 & RH7.0?

I am using Red Hat 7.0 with kernel version 2.2.16 on 686 architecture? i think, still new to Linux. I have run the NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.rh70up.i386
NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.rh70up.i686
and
NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-3123.i386.

I didn't run the two kernels right after another, first I tried the 386 version and it did not work. Then I reinstalled Linux and ran the 686 version. Still doesn't work. the only Xconfig tool I have on my machine is Xconfigurator. When I run Xconfig only two geforce cards are listed 2, and DDR. Both times I ran the drivers I had not yet configured Xwindows. I can't run the tar version because my gcc version is 2.96, and the nvidia driver is v. 2.91. Please if anyone can figure out what I am doing wrong from this jumble of info I would greatly appreciate it.
spifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-02, 06:24 PM   #2
bwkaz

I think (I'm not sure, but I think) that you'll need the rh70up 686 rpm. Install it, install the GLX, and then edit the XF86Config-4 file like the README says to.

Actually, before you start again, which version of X does RH7 use? What does XFree86 -version tell you? It has to be at least 4.0.1 or 4.0.2 (I don't remember which -- check the README).
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-02, 06:33 PM   #3
spifford

I'm not sure what the exact version said but I made sure XFree86 was at least the minimum before I installed either one of the drivers. I didn't look in the Xconfig-4 file i've been looking in the Xconfig file, i kept reading about the Xconfig-4 file and seeing but for some reason it just didn't register in my mind. I'll give that a try and see what happens.
Old 12-04-02, 07:11 PM   #4
spifford

ok I didn't see an XF86Config-4 only the XF86Config file, here is a copy of it if you can take a look at it and see what I am doing wrong I would greatly appreciate it.
Attached Files
File Type: txt xf86config.txt (14.2 KB, 155 views)
Old 12-04-02, 11:20 PM   #5
bwkaz

OK, the Driver "vga" in the second Device section should be changed to Driver "nvidia" (like the README says to do). Also, you may not want to do this to start with, but you will eventually want to uncomment the Load "glx" line to get hardware 3D support.

And you might want to just run XFree86 -version to see what it says.
Old 12-05-02, 01:39 AM   #6
spifford

I'll give it a shot and see what it says. Just got downloading a new kernel, so if that doesn't help i'll update the kernel and see if that helps. My main problem was that no matter where I looked under my linux directory I couldn't find a listing for the geforce 4 card anywhere, so I was thinking that maybe I just needed to update the kernel. That and most of the posts I saw on here had at least ver. 7.3 R.H.
Old 12-05-02, 07:56 AM   #7
bwkaz

If you update your kernel, then the NVIDIA_kernel half of the driver package will have to be either reinstalled (if there's a version corresponding to the new kernel you update to) or recompiled.

The standard kernel for RH 7 should work just fine, AFAIK. You don't need any directory listing for a GF4 anywhere -- as long as you're using a recent nVidia driver, your GF4 will be recognized.
Old 12-06-02, 02:42 AM   #8
spifford

Cool

well after 3 literal 20 hour days and 3 new installs of linux the nvidia drivers work. praise whoever. thanx for the help. now if i can just get my internet working on it i can quit booting back and forth between xp and linux. i'm going to take a wild guess and say there is no way in hell that i can use aol with xwindows. and before you ask, it's free for me and dsl nor cable are available here. well i'm gonna go see if i can figure it out. thanx again.

Old 12-06-02, 06:46 AM   #9
bwkaz

I've heard vague claims from some people that they either got it to work under Wine, or that there was going to be a port of the client. However, I don't know details about it...

My first inclination is to say that no, it won't work, but it might be possible, if you know the phone number and DNS info. If their dialup system uses a standard setup, that is.
Old 12-06-02, 09:13 AM   #10
Klaus-P

Ok what wrote AOL on my old aol 5.0 cd (well i';ve not installed it. i read it
in a doc-file

They wrote that you can use other internet access software than those
provided on the AOL-CD. So i think it's not a big deal simply to ask AOL
about this linux issue.

But if you know the AOL dial-in phone number for your country, state, etc,
and, if this is required,
username and password simply try to configure the linux wvdial, or kinternet
program. Maybe ((??)) it will work easier than you expect.

The dial-in number is usually pre-configured in the aol-software.
But read the doc-files on your a AOL-CD about it
Klaus-P is offline   Reply With Quote