Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-16-05, 11:22 AM   #1
aef

Angry is this a software or hardware bug?

Hi!
I have a problem with my NVidia GeForce4Ti card which I can't seem to resolve by myself. When the computer has been off for a while and I boot it up, then sometimes the computer gets messed up in the following way: There are a lot of coloured stripes (mostly blue and yellow) on the screen but I can still make out the actual screen contents behind them. The keyboard is locked and the mouse can't click on anything although I can see the cursor moving around on the screen as a big black box. This happens when KDE is already up and running after maybe one minute of normal system behaviour.
After that I have to cut the power and wait a few seconds before I can start the system again. If I just press the reboot button on the computer the screen is still messed up when it starts booting again and the BIOS prints out its messages. I can't read anything the computer prints out because everything consists of white stripes.
As said this happens only sometimes after booting up the system. After I have rebooted it the system behaves normal as if the video card has to be warm to function properly - although that's a bit strange since a computer should run better the colder it is. If I use the built-in ProSavage video card from my motherboard everything works fine. So the problem is either the NVidia card or the NVidia driver I guess.
I use the NVidia driver from Debian which is version 1.0.7167-1. I have tried with older NVidia drivers and also other XFree86 versions. At the moment I am using the unstable version 4.3.0.dfsg.1-12.0.1 of XFree86 but the problem remains when I am using the stable version which is 4.1.0-16woody5. I also tried with different kernel versions. At the moment I am using a self compiled 2.6.10 kernel from the Debian sources. But older kernels have shown the same strange behaviour.
Another thing worth noticing is that I have no problem using the video card in any other way. The 3D acceleration works fine too.
Can you give me a hint on what the problem might be? Is it a hardware fault or a driver bug? Is there a way I can test my hardware to be sure if its broken or not?
sincerely
Andreas

PS: I have attached the nvidia bug report log. This log was made when the system acted normal since I can not make any log when the system hangs because, as I pointed out, my keyboard doesn't work then. It is in bzip2 format so don't let the .zip at the end confuse you.
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.log.bz2.zip (98.7 KB, 129 views)
aef is offline   Reply With Quote