Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-17-05, 01:42 AM   #1
owlman

Default Desktop freezes with ASUS V9250SV (FX 5200) and 1.0-7167 driver

Dear all,

Looks like I'm having a similar problem to some other threads. Unfortunately I don't think anyone has found a solution...

Testing XFree86 works fine. However I am getting freezes (?) once the desktop manager launches. Symptoms are that the mouse pointer still works, however there is no response to mouse clicks or keyboard input. Once this happens I am unable to return to the console (Ctrl-Alt-F1, Ctrl-Alt-Bksp don't work). Remote logins work, and top reports 98-99 CPU usage by XFree86.

I've tried a few different methods of launching X, and the freeze seems to occur shortly (0-3 minutes later) afterwards, although not always at the same point, even when using the same method:
* kdm usually freezes as/shortly after the logon widget is displayed. Although once I managed to get as far as a successful login before kwin froze when I launched the menu.
* startx launches the Gnome desktop. I can usually launch several applications before the freeze.

FWIW I think the problem usually occurs when graphics are being rendered, though I'm not 100% sure about that. Anyone have any ideas?

I've tried all the driver versions since 1.0-5336 and still had the same problem, and even tried reverting to a 2.4 kernel then uninstalling/reinstalling the driver without success. The "nv" driver works fine - unfortunately I can't get the dual outputs from my card working with that, and need to use a second graphics card to get dual head. Correct?

System info:
Athlon 1200 CPU
ABIT KT7A motherboard (VIA Apollo KT133A chipset)
ASUS V9250 VS (FX 5200) graphics card

Debian testing (running a 2.6.10 kernel from unstable)
udev/sysfs for device management

Any assistance _much_ appreciated!

cheers,
John
Attached Files
File Type: txt nvidia-bug-report.log.txt (76.9 KB, 151 views)
owlman is offline   Reply With Quote