Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-06-02, 05:14 PM   #1
FlyingDutchMan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Question RH7.2 (2.4.9-34) install + src.rpm problem

I have some problems in installing the NVIDIA drivers. I use RH7.2 with latest RH kernel-update (2.4.9-34). Based on NVchooser I selected;
* NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-2960.i386.rpm
* NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2960.rh72up.i686.rpm
When checking on dependencies, I get following error message;

Found 0 source and 2 binary packages
Dependency problem:
kernel is needed by NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-02960.rh72up

I assumed this to be related to my new kernel, so I thought to give it a try by installing the NVIDIA kernel via the source rpm's. So I downloaded;
* NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2960.src.rpm
Following the instruction in the readme file, I enter;

rpm --rebuild NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2960.src.rpm

Then I get the error message;

NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2960.src.rpm: No such file or directory

I checked on typos several times, but using ls with the same text shows the file-name so I am not making a typing error. I am running all of above as root so rights should be OK. In a desperate mood I have also copied the src.rpm file to /usr/src and tried there but without luck either.

Now I do not know how to continue. Searching in this forum as well as with Google has not bring me a bit further. So after approx. 3 hours of reading, trying, searching and trying again I must lay down to get some sleep and hope that somebody can help me further with my installation problem.

Thnx in advance for your help!!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-02, 02:12 AM   #2
FlyingDutchMan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: RH7.2 (2.4.9-34) install + src.rpm problem

Quote:
Originally posted by FlyingDutchMan
I have some problems in installing the NVIDIA drivers. I use RH7.2 with latest RH kernel-update (2.4.9-34). Based on NVchooser I selected;
* NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-2960.i386.rpm
* NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2960.rh72up.i686.rpm
When checking on dependencies, I get following error message;

Found 0 source and 2 binary packages
Dependency problem:
kernel is needed by NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-02960.rh72up
I have not been able to tackle this problem, but I assume that it is related to the newer kernel I have installed (2.4.9-34).

Quote:
Originally posted by FlyingDutchMan continued with
I assumed this to be related to my new kernel, so I thought to give it a try by installing the NVIDIA kernel via the source rpm's. So I downloaded;
* NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2960.src.rpm
Following the instruction in the readme file, I enter;

rpm --rebuild NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2960.src.rpm

Then I get the error message;

NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2960.src.rpm: No such file or directory
For this section there is only one abbreviation applying to me; RTFM. On advise of somebody in another post I printed the README.txt and found the answer in it; I needed to install the rpm-build package. After having done that I got my system trying to rebuild, but with error-messages. One of the error messages was # error Modules should never use kernel-headers system headers. This was the next point in the README.txt on which the solution is to install the kernel-source. And that tackled my installation problems. Hopefully my descriptions solve problems for others.

Apologies for taking your time without having read the README-file.
Frank
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-02, 07:04 AM   #3
reallip
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

"One of the error messages was # error Modules should never use kernel-headers system headers. This was the next point in the README.txt on which the solution is to install the kernel-source..."
It is linux kernel-source file or Nvidia_kernel-source file? I have encountered the same problem in installing the NVIDIA drivers. I use RH7.2 with RH kernel(2.4.7-10). After I have downloaded and installed the Nvidia_kernel--1.0-2960.src.rpm, the preblem is still occur. What should I do? Should I install the redhat 7.2 again, or update the kernel of my linux system? Should I download and update the kernel from www.redhat.com or from
www.kernel.org directly? Which is better to me? Should I updated the shaved libraries after I have updated the kernel of my linux system? Where can I obtain the last shaved libraries?
I'm newbie about Linux and the driver, and any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks a lot, reallip.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-02, 09:04 AM   #4
FlyingDutchMan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by reallip
"One of the error messages was # error Modules should never use kernel-headers system headers. This was the next point in the README.txt on which the solution is to install the kernel-source..."
It is linux kernel-source file or Nvidia_kernel-source file? I have encountered the same problem in installing the NVIDIA drivers. I use RH7.2 with RH kernel(2.4.7-10). After I have downloaded and installed the Nvidia_kernel--1.0-2960.src.rpm, the preblem is still occur. What should I do?
You should install the RedHat kernel source files (you already have the NVIDIA kernel drivers). This should be on your installation CD 2 (directory RedHat/RPMS) and is named kernel-source-2.4.7-10.i386.rpm.
You can also download it from RedHat's ftp-server via your browser on following link;
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linu....7-10.i386.rpm
I assume you know how to install RPM's and know how to check dependencies.
After having installed the RH kernel-sources this specific error-message is gone.

Quote:
Originally posted by reallip continues with
Should I install the redhat 7.2 again, or update the kernel of my linux system? Should I download and update the kernel from www.redhat.com or from
www.kernel.org directly? Which is better to me? Should I updated the shaved libraries after I have updated the kernel of my linux system? Where can I obtain the last shaved libraries?
You do NOT need to install RedHat 7.2 again, you have just not installed all required software/code for this step.
Updating the kernel is always good, but for the time being I would go for trying to get your NVIDIA graphics card working in Linux. When you have tackled this step, you know what to do when upgrading your kernel as the same task will be required again; at every update of your kernel you need to do this job again as this NVIDIA driver is 'very linked to your Kernel (version)'.

In order to prevent the next error-message, I would like to advise you to check whether you have rpm-build installed, because that is required for creating your 'own' NVIDIA-kernel. If it is not installed then you need to install file rpm-build-4.0.3-1.03.i386.rpm which can be found on the same locations as the RedHat-kernel-source file.

Quote:
Originally posted by reallip continues with
I'm newbie about Linux and the driver, and any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks a lot, reallip.
We all have been at some stage ...
Good luck.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Windows 8 upgrade install experience News Archived News Items 0 10-25-12 01:10 PM
Mageia 2 Cannot Install 71.86.15 for Riva TNT/TNT2 kbulgrien NVIDIA Linux 3 06-29-12 08:27 AM
nForce + RedHat 7.3 Success Story rtz NVIDIA Linux 47 02-15-03 02:20 AM
Red Hat null(limbo beta 3), guide to install Nvidia Drivers utiel NVIDIA Linux 21 09-30-02 05:32 PM
Ti4200 and Linux Install Problem ultrajava NVIDIA Linux 5 09-28-02 08:13 AM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.