Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-18-05, 07:12 AM   #1
KinkyMunkey

Default Fedora Core 3 won't boot without monitor [GRUB] (fix)

Hey everybody, this has been bugging me for a week and i finally figured out what was wrong.. so I thought I'd post it here so other people won't have such a hard time

i'm using a geforce 440mx with video out hooked up to a TV (via composite)

I have fedora core 3, every kernel i tried did this, both with 6629 and the new one... it's not a kernel issue though, it has to do with GRUB

Linux will not boot up unless you have a monitor attached (doesn't have to be turned on).... it hangs before it starts the kernel (i can tell because the kernel resets my numlock light when it loads.. and it stays on)

the solution is to comment out the following line in your /etc/grub.conf
#splashimage=(hd0,1)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

I'm pretty sure this didn't happen when i was using the NV driver, instead of nvidia... but i didn't have the TV hooked up then either... once i commented out the line it worked fine (including showing all the text boot information from the kernel before RHGB loads... Yea- RHGB works fine- despite everyone saying you have to disable it)

Goodluck guys... Now if only i can get LIRC to work..................
KinkyMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote