Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-19-05, 06:04 PM   #13
john19055
 
john19055's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: GREENVILLE,TX
Posts: 3,858
Default Re: Is it worth the money? (TI4200 vs. FX5200)

You should see a improvement with that TI4200 because it will be faster than the FX5200 you had.
__________________
Intel i7-3820+Corsair H-100+Gigabyte X79-UD5+16gigs G.Skill PC1600DDR3+2-ASUS DirectCU II GTX-670 in SLI+Crucial 256g-SSD+1-3Gig Seagate+2- Samsung 1-TB+3-WesternDigtial 640g+LG-12x Blu-Ray Burner+850watt XFX+Antec-P280 case+50" Plasma PM6700+Logitech Mouse+Keyboard+Pioneer VSX-1020+Polk Audio Speakers
john19055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-05, 09:30 AM   #14
Daneel Olivaw
Northwood hugger
 
Daneel Olivaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,244
Default Re: Is it worth the money? (TI4200 vs. FX5200)

All UTs love the GF4Tis... and Atlhon based cpus.
__________________
-Intel Core2 Duo 4300 (3.0GHz) | Asus P5N-E SLI | 6GB Corsair CVS PC2-5300 | GF8800GT 512MB | Western Digital 1TB Raid0 | Antec SLK2600AMB | Antec Earthwatts 500W
-Intel Pentium4 2.4C (3.4GHz) | Asus P4P800 Dlx | 2GB Crucial Rendition PC-3200 | GF6800LE 128MB | Seagate 200GB | Antec Overture II | Antec TruePower 2.0 480W


Mild agnosticism —the view that the existence or nonexistence of God or gods is currently unknown but is not necessarily unknowable, therefore one will withhold judgment until/if more evidence is available. A weak agnostic would say "I don't know, but maybe you do."
Daneel Olivaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-05, 05:23 PM   #15
MustangSVT
Stop looking at me
 
MustangSVT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,602
Default Re: Is it worth the money? (TI4200 vs. FX5200)

Yes, expect a big improvement with that Ti4200.

On my old setup, I had a KT266A paired with a T-Bred 2400+ @ 2.1GHz, 512MB PC2100 and Ti4200 128mb at 280/550. With that, I would get around high 10k's in 3d01, or just barely 11k I think.

Halo ran fine on that rig. 800x600, all settings on/highest with specular off, I would get 50fps most of the time (average around 45-50fps).

UT2004 at 800x600 with medium also ran around 60fps.

Also, there's no 64-bit GF4 Ti's, not as far as I know. What you should do with your setup is get another stick of 256MB PC2100 if you can, grab a cheap nforce2 if you can (like shuttle an35n ultra), and get a second hand xp-m 2400+/2500+ for like $50. You'd prolly get like 2.4ghz out of that with a 266-280fsb so you run your memory 1:1 sync. That would be a huge improvement.
__________________
1. Q6600 @ 3.2, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Powercolor HD 4890 CrossFire, 4GB Mushkin DDR2-1066, 3x 24" LCD, Matrox TripleHead2Go, Audigy 2 ZS

2. Q9550 @ 3.7, ASUS P5K, Galaxy 8800GT G92, 2GB Mushkin DDR2-1066, Samsung 710N + Samsung 205BW, Audigy 2 + SB Live! 5.1 (hooked up together, really), dad's comp

3. XP-M 2500+ @ 205x11.5, Gigabyte nForce2-400, GeForce4 Ti4200, 2x512MB OCZ DDR-400 "Premier", oldie
MustangSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-05, 07:07 PM   #16
Mehbody
...
 
Mehbody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 85
Default Re: Is it worth the money? (TI4200 vs. FX5200)

Taking your advice with the Shuttle and XP-M (along with a nice fan, more AS5, and a stick on PC2100 256mb) my total on Newegg was USD$163.78. Not bad at all, better then my other estimates, so I'll think about ordering it once I see how well the TI4200 performs.

I did most of the comparsion benchmarking today, for the FX5200 vs. TI4200, fresh install of XP, all standard timedemos (UT2003, Halo, CoD, Quake 3, Quake 2, and UT/Deus Ex when I find those discs..) so I hope the Ti4200 improves these greatly.

I did find something odd though.. in the DM-Antalus map on UT2003, during the flyby, i noticed many textures flashing, and with 3dmark2001, the dragothic high also showed textures flashing. Aren't those signs of a high overclock? I'm still running stock speeds, and the airflow is the same.. could it just be a driver problem? (DHzer0point/71.48)
Mehbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-05, 08:01 PM   #17
MustangSVT
Stop looking at me
 
MustangSVT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,602
Default Re: Is it worth the money? (TI4200 vs. FX5200)

You should really use older drivers with a card like Ti4200. Try using the 56.72 set and see how it works out for you.

For games like BF1942, UT2003 (pre-2003/non-dx9), the best drivers would be something like 44.03 (or something like that, 44.67 I think). But for games like Halo, UT2004, BFV, PoP, (any newer game from 2003 and on), 56.72 is best.
__________________
1. Q6600 @ 3.2, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Powercolor HD 4890 CrossFire, 4GB Mushkin DDR2-1066, 3x 24" LCD, Matrox TripleHead2Go, Audigy 2 ZS

2. Q9550 @ 3.7, ASUS P5K, Galaxy 8800GT G92, 2GB Mushkin DDR2-1066, Samsung 710N + Samsung 205BW, Audigy 2 + SB Live! 5.1 (hooked up together, really), dad's comp

3. XP-M 2500+ @ 205x11.5, Gigabyte nForce2-400, GeForce4 Ti4200, 2x512MB OCZ DDR-400 "Premier", oldie
MustangSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-05, 09:24 PM   #18
Mehbody
...
 
Mehbody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 85
Default Re: Is it worth the money? (TI4200 vs. FX5200)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangSVT
You should really use older drivers with a card like Ti4200. Try using the 56.72 set and see how it works out for you.

For games like BF1942, UT2003 (pre-2003/non-dx9), the best drivers would be something like 44.03 (or something like that, 44.67 I think). But for games like Halo, UT2004, BFV, PoP, (any newer game from 2003 and on), 56.72 is best.
I'm still using my FX5200. My Ti4200 should be coming in later this week/next week (UPS ground shipping, plus a paypal echeck.. ) Older drivers like the 44.03, 56.72, etc. are worse then these drivers (very few FPS difference), except with the flickering which is exactly the same (and in about the same frames, as far as i can tell)

So far i've benchmarked the FX5200 with Halo, Quake 3, Quake 2, CoD, Half-Life 2, UT2003, and 3dmark2001. I might consider getting some quick free hosting and put this Word file up as a HTML file. It could be interesting just to look at and compare...

EDIT: Set up a quick site with the FX5200's current benchmark result. http://thor.prohosting.com/mehbody7/benchmar1.htm
2nd EDIT: Note that all the benchmarks for the Ti4200 haven't been run yet, as I don't have the card in my hands right now.

Last edited by Mehbody; 03-21-05 at 07:08 AM.
Mehbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-05, 10:50 PM   #19
JoKeRr
Registered User
 
JoKeRr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Canada!!
Posts: 768
Default Re: Is it worth the money? (TI4200 vs. FX5200)

man, even my Ti500 smokes 10k in 3dmark01, hahah, guess I'm still a long way from upgrading.
__________________
P4 3.0C 30 capper @3.6ghz 1.475V Vcore, Asus P4P800, Gigabyte Geforce 6800GT with NV5, 2x512mb Crucial BallisitiX 2.5-2-2-5 at DDR480, samsung 172T, Enermax Noisetaker 475W, TR XP-90 +panaflo 92mm high, 200gb Seagate, 250gb Maxtor SATA, + 80gb Maxtor, 80gb Raptor ADFD!! D-Link 108mbps PCI wireless card + Atheros Driver, MS Intellimouse Explorer 3.0, Logitech Elite Keyboard

Laptop: Toshiba A100-OFH: Core Dual A2050--1.6ghz X2 @ 533FSB, 1gb DDR2, 15.4'' WXGA glare screen, DVD-RW, 100gb HDD, Intel GMA950, WinXP SP2 Home edition, Office XP
JoKeRr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-05, 09:50 AM   #20
Daneel Olivaw
Northwood hugger
 
Daneel Olivaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,244
Default Re: Is it worth the money? (TI4200 vs. FX5200)

That's because 3dm2k1 is a bit more CPU bound with those cards. (stating the obvious is my strong point)
__________________
-Intel Core2 Duo 4300 (3.0GHz) | Asus P5N-E SLI | 6GB Corsair CVS PC2-5300 | GF8800GT 512MB | Western Digital 1TB Raid0 | Antec SLK2600AMB | Antec Earthwatts 500W
-Intel Pentium4 2.4C (3.4GHz) | Asus P4P800 Dlx | 2GB Crucial Rendition PC-3200 | GF6800LE 128MB | Seagate 200GB | Antec Overture II | Antec TruePower 2.0 480W


Mild agnosticism —the view that the existence or nonexistence of God or gods is currently unknown but is not necessarily unknowable, therefore one will withhold judgment until/if more evidence is available. A weak agnostic would say "I don't know, but maybe you do."
Daneel Olivaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-05, 01:41 PM   #21
JoKeRr
Registered User
 
JoKeRr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Canada!!
Posts: 768
Default Re: Is it worth the money? (TI4200 vs. FX5200)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneel Olivaw
That's because 3dm2k1 is a bit more CPU bound with those cards. (stating the obvious is my strong point)
i thoghout u died at 900 post, why did u come back from hell? or heaven??
__________________
P4 3.0C 30 capper @3.6ghz 1.475V Vcore, Asus P4P800, Gigabyte Geforce 6800GT with NV5, 2x512mb Crucial BallisitiX 2.5-2-2-5 at DDR480, samsung 172T, Enermax Noisetaker 475W, TR XP-90 +panaflo 92mm high, 200gb Seagate, 250gb Maxtor SATA, + 80gb Maxtor, 80gb Raptor ADFD!! D-Link 108mbps PCI wireless card + Atheros Driver, MS Intellimouse Explorer 3.0, Logitech Elite Keyboard

Laptop: Toshiba A100-OFH: Core Dual A2050--1.6ghz X2 @ 533FSB, 1gb DDR2, 15.4'' WXGA glare screen, DVD-RW, 100gb HDD, Intel GMA950, WinXP SP2 Home edition, Office XP
JoKeRr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-05, 03:04 PM   #22
Daneel Olivaw
Northwood hugger
 
Daneel Olivaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,244
Default Re: Is it worth the money? (TI4200 vs. FX5200)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoKeRr
i thoghout u died at 900 post, why did u come back from hell? or heaven??
I corrected my sig accordingly.
__________________
-Intel Core2 Duo 4300 (3.0GHz) | Asus P5N-E SLI | 6GB Corsair CVS PC2-5300 | GF8800GT 512MB | Western Digital 1TB Raid0 | Antec SLK2600AMB | Antec Earthwatts 500W
-Intel Pentium4 2.4C (3.4GHz) | Asus P4P800 Dlx | 2GB Crucial Rendition PC-3200 | GF6800LE 128MB | Seagate 200GB | Antec Overture II | Antec TruePower 2.0 480W


Mild agnosticism —the view that the existence or nonexistence of God or gods is currently unknown but is not necessarily unknowable, therefore one will withhold judgment until/if more evidence is available. A weak agnostic would say "I don't know, but maybe you do."
Daneel Olivaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-05, 03:43 PM   #23
JoKeRr
Registered User
 
JoKeRr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Canada!!
Posts: 768
Default Re: Is it worth the money? (TI4200 vs. FX5200)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneel Olivaw
That's because 3dm2k1 is a bit more CPU bound with those cards. (stating the obvious is my strong point)
but his 3dmark01 score was still really low. My Ti500 paired with a Tulatin Celeron 1.1Aghz, scored over 5k. His duron should be faster than a cely 1.1A
__________________
P4 3.0C 30 capper @3.6ghz 1.475V Vcore, Asus P4P800, Gigabyte Geforce 6800GT with NV5, 2x512mb Crucial BallisitiX 2.5-2-2-5 at DDR480, samsung 172T, Enermax Noisetaker 475W, TR XP-90 +panaflo 92mm high, 200gb Seagate, 250gb Maxtor SATA, + 80gb Maxtor, 80gb Raptor ADFD!! D-Link 108mbps PCI wireless card + Atheros Driver, MS Intellimouse Explorer 3.0, Logitech Elite Keyboard

Laptop: Toshiba A100-OFH: Core Dual A2050--1.6ghz X2 @ 533FSB, 1gb DDR2, 15.4'' WXGA glare screen, DVD-RW, 100gb HDD, Intel GMA950, WinXP SP2 Home edition, Office XP
JoKeRr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-05, 04:17 PM   #24
Daneel Olivaw
Northwood hugger
 
Daneel Olivaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,244
Default Re: Is it worth the money? (TI4200 vs. FX5200)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehbody
Note that all the benchmarks for the Ti4200 haven't been run yet, as I don't have the card in my hands right now.
JoKeRr: we don't have his benchmarks yet, so why do you say that?

My Ti4200 64Mb (315/585) scores 9016 3dmarks01 on my Tually Celeron@ 1.612GHz
__________________
-Intel Core2 Duo 4300 (3.0GHz) | Asus P5N-E SLI | 6GB Corsair CVS PC2-5300 | GF8800GT 512MB | Western Digital 1TB Raid0 | Antec SLK2600AMB | Antec Earthwatts 500W
-Intel Pentium4 2.4C (3.4GHz) | Asus P4P800 Dlx | 2GB Crucial Rendition PC-3200 | GF6800LE 128MB | Seagate 200GB | Antec Overture II | Antec TruePower 2.0 480W


Mild agnosticism —the view that the existence or nonexistence of God or gods is currently unknown but is not necessarily unknowable, therefore one will withhold judgment until/if more evidence is available. A weak agnostic would say "I don't know, but maybe you do."
Daneel Olivaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flame's crypto attack may have needed $200,000 worth of compute power News Archived News Items 0 06-11-12 10:40 PM
Ti4200 and Linux Install Problem ultrajava NVIDIA Linux 5 09-28-02 09:13 AM
Water cooling, is it worth it? VoltFox CPUs, Motherboards And Memory 15 09-28-02 04:53 AM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2014, nV News.