Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-19-05, 07:51 AM   #37
brady
I'm like everyone else.

Default Re: Unreal 3 SpeedTree Shots

i think ue3's major advantage is being built solidly around shader model 3.0. whereas with far cry it was an after thought.

ive been playing far cry for the last few days and will probably do a little bit of gaming this morning. im playing with all settings as high as they will go with hdr 2 enable at 1280x1024. i must admit it looks very very good.

i have viewed all of the ue3 tech demos and i think ue3 looks wonderful. imo the ue3 team has taken crytek very seriously and is building on what they did with the current cryengine.

so, i do think the ue3 engine looks better than the current cryengine, but no, i dont think its lightyears ahead. i think its just the natural progression of things and finally a great use of sm3.0.

C2D @ 3.0GHz | GA-P35-DS3L | 4GB DDR2 | HIS AMD 6990 4GB | OS X Lion 10.7 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-05, 08:10 AM   #38
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

I dunno about all of this tech jargin (lol) but I can't wait to actually see the next Unreal (hopefully Tournament 2006) game on an actual PC. And if it won't run nicely on my current system, all I'd have to say is wow. I've put a lot of time and cash into my system!
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-05, 08:17 AM   #39
Intel17
Is not an Intel fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady
i think ue3's major advantage is being built solidly around shader model 3.0. whereas with far cry it was an after thought.

ive been playing far cry for the last few days and will probably do a little bit of gaming this morning. im playing with all settings as high as they will go with hdr 2 enable at 1280x1024. i must admit it looks very very good.

i have viewed all of the ue3 tech demos and i think ue3 looks wonderful. imo the ue3 team has taken crytek very seriously and is building on what they did with the current cryengine.

so, i do think the ue3 engine looks better than the current cryengine, but no, i dont think its lightyears ahead. i think its just the natural progression of things and finally a great use of sm3.0.
Unreal Engine 3 was not built around SM3.0. In fact, it was added in a few days before the first E3 showing. So, no, Unreal Engine 3 isn't built around SM3.0.
Intel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-05, 08:35 AM   #40
superklye

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady
Title: Bathroom Scene
Name: Josh Staub
Software: 3ds max, VRay

Holy crap. I can't believe those are CG. They both look so incredibly real!
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-05, 11:43 AM   #41
brady
I'm like everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intel17
Unreal Engine 3 was not built around SM3.0. In fact, it was added in a few days before the first E3 showing. So, no, Unreal Engine 3 isn't built around SM3.0.
hmm i guess i'll take your word on it. in any case i think most people will agree that regardless of technical specs the ue3 looks better than far cry right now.

now maybe the crazy guys at ubi will do a huge patch before ue3 is out but i kindof have a fealing that if we do see a patch it wont be enough to out pace the ue3 engine.

....this is getting a little silly now so im gunna stop with the far cry vs. ue3 engine comparisons.

C2D @ 3.0GHz | GA-P35-DS3L | 4GB DDR2 | HIS AMD 6990 4GB | OS X Lion 10.7 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Old 03-19-05, 12:13 PM   #42
MustangSVT
Stop looking at me

How about we wait for the actual game (Unreal 3) to come out and then draw conclusions? I'm 100% sure that it'll still look a game and not "photorealistic". All developers touch up their screenshots before a game is released. Here's some examples.

BFV

BiA

2. Q9550 @ 3.7, ASUS P5K, Galaxy 8800GT G92, 2GB Mushkin DDR2-1066, Samsung 710N + Samsung 205BW, Audigy 2 + SB Live! 5.1 (hooked up together, really), dad's comp

3. XP-M 2500+ @ 205x11.5, Gigabyte nForce2-400, GeForce4 Ti4200, 2x512MB OCZ DDR-400 "Premier", oldie
MustangSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-05, 12:50 PM   #43
brady
I'm like everyone else.

since weve been on the topic of radiosity ect... if you want to have a good laugh go here and download the 2004 benchmark and run it at 1024x768 with all of the settings enabled including radiosity. i think i was getting about .21 fps.

Old 03-19-05, 01:28 PM   #44
stncttr908

Send a message via AIM to stncttr908

Some of those Unreal 3 tree shots make me feel like I'm walking in a local park.
PC - | Core i7-2600K @ stock | Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3 | 4GB Patriot Sector 5 DDR3 | Galaxy GTX 460 1GB @ stock | Corsair Force 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200RPM | 320GB Seagate 7200.10 | 2x Seagate 500GB USB 2.0 | Lite-On 20x SATA DVD+RW | Silverstone TJ-09 | Corsair 620W PSU | Logitech Z-5500s | Sennheiser HD-570 headphones | Samsung 2494LW |

Laptop - | Dell Inspiron 1420 | C2D T7300 (2.0GHz, 4MB cache) | 2GB DDR2-667 | 160GB 7200RPM HDD | DVD +/- RW | 14.1" WXGA+ (1440x900) | Broadcom 802.11g | NVIDIA 8400M GS 128MB |
stncttr908 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-05, 02:02 PM   #45
Nv40
Agent-Fx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intel17
Unreal Engine 3 DOES NOT look like a Cg movie. Hell, after hearing Carmack's Quakecon speech and my correspondence with the guys at CryTek, Unreal Engine 3 will be OLD NEWS.

Heck, in the UE3 demo's they said that a shader is 50-100 instructions long. FarCry uses shaders already that are 160 instructions long, and typical ones are pushing the limits of the R300 processor with 96 instructions.

What does UE3 have over the current CryEngine anyway?

Dont compare vaporware [idsoftware NExt engine] with very mature game engines already demostrated in public and available for license. if paper counts ,then add DUkeNUkenforever engine too.. their developers claim it will be a way superior to Anything outhere in many ways. UNreal3 had up to ~ 150 intructions long shaders since last year. according with some interviews..

Unreal engine 3 support 3 diferent shadow techniques ...and they are only limited to the level designers preferences. you can use whaterver Shadow technique you please more.

what Unreal3 have over crytek engine?

Unreal3 have Dx9 softshadows and more freedom with shadows too,real time Dx9 lighting everywhere indoors and outdoors ,characters (monters) that doesnt look like puppets , Unreal 3 is a way superior than DOom3 engine here.Unreal3 support Sub surface scattering effects for the skin ,Physics engine compatible with the Physics processor,their skeletal animation system is more advanced ,Speedtree tech is a HUGE PLUS.. , THeir Scrip editor where people without experience in programming in a matter of hours can very quickly on the fly create games sequences that will take otherwise weeks or more to real programmers in games without this unique revolutionary tech., their far SUperior AI , Farcry AI is very primitive to say the least ,their more advanced Nework code ,Unreal3 engine not only support very long shaders but a full library of special shader effects some demostrated in their E3 demo. their latest Scene managment system ,level can be as HUGE as they want and -no loading- will happen when traveling the level ,(Hl2 fans will find this a big one) , U3 editor in simple words is revolutionary. you will not find a single Top Game Developer that will not be very impressed by what they have done there. their Engine/editor will allow anyone that wish to create completely new stuff like new pixel Shader effects as complex as they want without the need to pay for a full license.
There are so many BIg FEatures in the UNrea3 engine that it has over ANy other X or Y game ,that comparisons are even not possible is like comparing .. windows 95 with windows Xp 64bits

However dont take me wrong Farcry have very nice graphics and they know how to create kick ass games .i will be very happy to see many games using Crytek engine in the future.

Unreal engine 3 in the other hand is at a new level ,because obviously it came later and their developers always push for more ,an engine that not only will look far better than anything outhere ,not only will support Rock SOlid Multiplayer/Single player , a true Dx9 game.. the minimun hardware requirements to play the game at the lowest quality settings will be a Dx9 card.. (diferent than Facry or others) ,not only their game editor will be more advanced but also it will be far easier the engine for the mod community to create completely new games levels and new content ,new games, with a diferent look if they wish ,and this *IS* very important for us.

In the game developers 2005 conference ,there were missing Developers there.. *very popular* that we already know.. perhaps there was nothing for them to show ? and they were very busy with their engines doing something that could be comparable with what EPIC demostrated.?

for the people that have not seen Unreal Engine 3 mega list of features .. check this site..

http://www.unrealtechnology.com/flas...ogy/ue30.shtml

Last edited by Nv40; 03-19-05 at 02:26 PM.
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-05, 02:23 PM   #46
LiquidX
xxxxxxx

Personaly I think BF1942 and its expansion RTR has the best trees I have seen in game. They look very life like from a distance.

Just check out some of these in game pine trees....

and now real pine tree......
LiquidX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-05, 02:50 PM   #47
Nv40
Agent-Fx

The last one looks pretty.. but comparing giant pines with small oaks is not fair.. we need to see how pines looks in Unreal engine 3..

look here for a complete library of what is possible with Speedtree engine..

http://www.idvinc.com/tree_browser/browser.htm

Quote:
•650 individual '.spt' tree models, divided into 130 Species of trees, plants, marine life, cacti, palms & fantasy creations, each with both real time (around 1,000 polygons) and medium detail (1,500 - 15,000 polygons) versions for all of the seasonal variations included.
Unreal engine 3 will have enough trees ,plants and vegetation to simulate any forest in the planet ,at any season of the year ,that will be enough to satisfy the needs even the hardcore modders or even a scientist looking to simulate real life outdoors enviroments.

Another feature is that the trees are not static ,they can interact and move -in realtime- with any external force like air .They cast lighting and shadows , not like battlefield . ANd they look great at distance and in close shots. THis is tree heaven.. hehe

There was an earlier playable demo of speedtree in Nvidia site last year using Cg and geometry intancing .

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_sp...downloads.html

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/Cg_SpeedTree.html

That was very impressive. even though the speedtree engine have been updated a lot since then. Unreal engine 3 with this feature will be the paradise for people that love Big outdoors level in games. THe disadvantage of Unreal3 trees will be that they will look so awesome that people will not be interested anymore to play the game ,more than to climb the trees. It will be a major distraction to the gameplay

Last edited by Nv40; 03-19-05 at 03:22 PM.
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-05, 08:41 PM   #48
carkis

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
Holy crap. I can't believe those are CG. They both look so incredibly real!
Heh, I think the bathroom looks too clean to be real.
carkis is offline   Reply With Quote