Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-18-05, 04:59 PM   #1
magnate

Default 1.0-7167 on old system (440LX/TNT) - please help!

Hi folks,

I have the following old paperweight that I'm setting up as a P2P machine on my LAN: QDI Legend V mobo (Intel 440LX) with 266MHz Slot1 Pentium-II CPU overclocked to 333MHz (83MHz FSB). It's running Debian Sarge with 448Mb RAM (64+128+256) and a 19" Iiyama Vision Master 1451 (30-96 horiz, 50-160 vert).

It starts Gnome perfectly (albeit slowly) with either the standard vga driver (640x480x16) or the vesa driver (which manages 1280x1024x24-bit, which is all I ask). I could live with vesa but it's a slow old thing and I'd like all the speed I can get.

I've downloaded and successfully compiled and installed the latest nvidia driver (1.0-7167). I've tried dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 in various different combinations:

nv driver with fb
nv driver without fb
nvidia driver with agpgart and framebuffer
nvidia driver with nvidia-agp and framebuffer
nvidia driver with agpgart without framebuffer
nvidia driver with nvidia-agp without framebuffer

The nv driver isn't relevant, but I thought I'd let you know I'd tried it. It gives a messed-up screen, scrunched up and horizontally repeated as if the mode timings are all wrong, even though they aren't (it does this in any resolution, including 640x480). The mouse moves but clicking does nothing and the keyboard is locked.

The nvidia driver has a different problem, but all four combinations give the same result: a long wait, no nvidia splash/logo, then a slowly flashing screen which alternates between almost-black (very dark grey) and white-with-grey-pinstripes. The latter reflects the resolution (ie. the white bands between the pinstripes are narrower at higher resolutions) but that's the only difference. The computer is locked but I can still ssh in and see XFree86.0.log, generate nvidia-bug-report etc. etc. I attach a selection of these - the logs and bug reports from the last two attempts above.

Very grateful for any help. Yes, I have tried recompiling the driver with the VideoMemoryTypeOverride set (to SDRAM, which is what my Viper 550 card has) - it recompiled cleanly but made no difference. I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with the card because I ran it under linux years ago in a 440BX board with the same BIOS it has now - the nvidia drivers of the time worked perfectly! I think the problem might be with the AGP on the 440LX but I could be wrong. I've turned off the APIC in the kernel just in case.

That's enough for now - grateful for any help.

CC
Attached Files
File Type: txt nvidia-bug-report.log.agpgart.txt (61.9 KB, 135 views)
File Type: txt nvidia-bug-report.log.nvagp.txt (61.4 KB, 127 views)
File Type: txt XFree86.0.log.agpgart.txt (26.9 KB, 121 views)
File Type: txt XFree86.0.log.nvagp.txt (27.0 KB, 130 views)
magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-05, 02:00 AM   #2
whig
550Ti

Default Re: 1.0-7167 on old system (440LX/TNT) - please help!

The knoppix linux distribution boots from a cd to X, using nvidia drivers if that is your hardware IIRC. Should that work you debian configuration needs fixing... get leads by looking at knoppix's configuration files. A warning: I tried a recent version of knoppix on a 233Mhz Pent 2 and it didn't boot very far. Old knoppix worked great.
whig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-05, 11:40 AM   #3
magnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by whig
The knoppix linux distribution boots from a cd to X, using nvidia drivers if that is your hardware IIRC. Should that work you debian configuration needs fixing... get leads by looking at knoppix's configuration files. A warning: I tried a recent version of knoppix on a 233Mhz Pent 2 and it didn't boot very far. Old knoppix worked great.
Thank you - that's a very helpful suggestion. Knoppix 3.6 did in fact boot straight into X first time, using the 2.6 kernel. So I copied across the XF86Config-4 and the XFree86.0.log file, rebooted into the box's own kernel, and tried to start X using knoppix's XF86Config-4 .... a different problem this time, the box hangs with a blank screen and 100% CPU usage. Knoppix used the nv driver by the way, not the nvidia driver.

So there must be something in the Knoppix 2.6.7 kernel which works with that XF86Config-4 which is then broken by something in my 2.6.10 kernel. This is beyond me really, I'm not sure where to look. Time to see if Knoppix boots with /proc/config.gz enabled ... (no, it doesn't - off to see if I can find out the config of the knoppix kernel on the net ...)

CC
Old 03-19-05, 01:24 PM   #4
magnate

Ok, I found the Knoppix config (in /boot!) - I've attached it, along with the 2.6.10 config of that machine, and the Knoppix XF86Config-4. Can anyone tell me what it is about the difference between these two kernel configs that means that the 2.6.7 one runs this XF86Config-4 perfectly, and the 2.6.10 one hangs with a blank screen?

Thanks in advance,

CC
Attached Files
File Type: txt config-2.6.7-knoppix.txt (53.1 KB, 133 views)
File Type: txt XF86Config-4.knoppix.txt (8.9 KB, 144 views)
File Type: txt config-2.6.10-03.txt (29.6 KB, 138 views)