Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-28-06, 11:21 AM   #13
joshuamcdo

Default Re: Over clocking my BFG 6800GT

Fear not, as this is a "Far Cry" related issue as none of my other games do this, and I can keep far cry from doing this everytime so far.

If I start a new game, this rebooting problem and the then following " STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER (Q293078) " windows alert never occurs. When I load a "Saved" game Far Cry loads, and about 5 seconds after the progress bar reaches 100% the machine just re-boots and upon rebooting completion windows comes up with the usual " STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER (Q293078) " message. Every once in a while, loading a game just works. I beleive it's after some other application has both initialized and released the video hardware.
If you would like to play your game withOUT the rebooting. So far it hasn't happened to me again if I follow the following steps..

Start a new game, once that game loads, load your game you want to play.. Works for me EVERYTIME. (So far) I get the message that it will overwrite check points and such but if you don't even play the game and load your saved game you will be ok.
Hope this helps...

Joshua McDowell

Linux Networx FE
joshuamcdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-06, 11:53 PM   #14
joshuamcdo

Default Re: Over clocking my BFG 6800GT I must correct myself..

My above mentioned method failed only 10 seconds after making that last post. Which made me look deeper..
Hence ..

I am not sure how many people this will work for, I know after days of fine tuning and memory dumps and combing over things I finally found a solution to the problem and it works 100% for me.

While looking at one of the dumps I generated, I noticed the last thing I saw was 3 letters that could have been easily overlooked. However, having owned a creative MP3 player, I knew what these three little letters mean. E.A.X. I also knew that this is a function of a "Creative" device, and I also knew I didn't have one in this new system.

So I fired up "Configure Far Cry" and got to looking around... Under sound options, there it was bigger than anything. EAX enabled.. Among a few other things like hardware mixer and such. So I turned everything but the first option off. Fired up Far Cry and it worked.. I thought to myself, this must be one of "Those times" that it works for no good reason.. So I rebooted the machine and fired up Far Cry and again it worked, and has worked over 50 times since then. So as it turns out, MS is blaming a video device driver because it's "the most likely cause" when in fact it is sound related.

Hope this helps someone..

Joshua McDowell

Linux FE
joshuamcdo is offline   Reply With Quote