Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-20-05, 04:26 PM   #1
skidvd

Default NVidia 1.0-7167 with Mandrake 10.1 on Toshiba Satellite 3005-S304

Hello:

I'm struggling with getting X to work on my laptop. It's a Toshiba Satellite 3005-S304 with nVidia graphics. It has been working just fine for over 3 years now running Mandrake 8.2 . I have just recently upgraded it to Mandrake 10.1 and now whenever I run startx I am presented with an entirely blank screen and what I presume is a hung machine as I cannot switch between terminals (via Alt-F[n], etc.) or do anything other than power cycle to get back to text console mode. Also, even when running
Code:
startx -- -verbose 5 -logverbose 5
(as I have seen suggested in the README), I get no output in the /var/log directory?

I have tried many different things (probably not correctly as I am new to Linux admin) from google searches, etc. to no avail. I've attached my nvidia-installer log (this was from a run of the output of the --add-this-kernel option - I had previously run the install script directly with no problems, but tired this as one of the many alternatives to get beyond this problem). I've also attached both my xorg.conf and XF86Config-4 files (as I getting a bit confused as to which one matters in this case). Finally, I've also attached my modprobe.conf and modprobe.preload files. In most cases, my edits to these files are near comments with 'TEG' in them.

I will greatly appreciate any and all assistance as I am a bit lost as to how to proceed next!!

Thanks,

Todd
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia.zip (6.4 KB, 149 views)

Last edited by skidvd; 03-20-05 at 04:46 PM. Reason: posting error
skidvd is offline   Reply With Quote