Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-25-05, 11:07 AM   #13
MadEgg

Default Re: I just want to use my graphics card

Hmmm. I don't believe it's caused entirely by that for the simple reason that I haven't got any similar problems in Windows, but still, might be worth a try.
Old 03-25-05, 11:45 AM   #14
Lithorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadEgg
Hmmm. I don't believe it's caused entirely by that for the simple reason that I haven't got any similar problems in Windows, but still, might be worth a try.
Well I could also get windows booting, but I could also get it to hardlock with a few tweakings in the bios, but for linux it's was a no go everytime.
Lithorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-05, 12:12 PM   #15
MadEgg

I just tried 1005, 1006, 1007, 1008, and the new 1008 beta BIOS. All of them had the same problem, although the effect did vary a little bit among them(some dont do any mode-switch at all on the monitor, just blank the screen, some do a mode-switch to the correct resolution that X is set to, and some send a standby signal to the monitor causing it to power off.).
So this didn't help me unfortunately. Thanks for the suggestion though!
Old 03-26-05, 04:07 AM   #16
MadEgg

Just tried another thing I thought might be causing it, several actually.
I thought maybe too aggressive optimization flags could cause the instability so I recompiled GCC, glibc, the kernel, freetype, fontconfig and xorg-x11 with very mild optimization flags(-O3 -pipe -march=pentium4). That did not help either, still the same problem.
After that I thought, maybe the SMP/SMT(Hyperthreading) is causing it, so I recompiled my kernel without SMP/SMT support and disabled Hyperthreading in the BIOS. But that didn't help either, still exactly the same problem.

[edit]
Yippeee. It's finally fixed(so far). I've been trying ****loads of other BIOS-es from other manufacturers like Asus, Albatron, XFX and PointOfView but those all didn help, and the XFX-bios even made X stop starting at all.
Now i'm back to the original AOpen BIOS, but instead of equalizing the 2D and 3D clocks at 425 MHz(where the 3D clock was originally set to) I know set them both to 400 MHz(where the 2D clock was originally set to). The problem is completely gone now. A bit of a shame about those 25 MHz but I think I can live with that(although I still think I shouldn't have to).
Thanks everyone for the suggestions and help!
[/edit]

Last edited by MadEgg; 03-26-05 at 04:55 AM.
MadEgg is offline   Reply With Quote