Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Rumor Mill

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-24-05, 04:19 PM   #1
Brick_Top

Default hum.....

What do you think about this ?
Quote:
The difference with G70 is that it is even larger than previous die sizes, which means that it is quite possible that full product yields may be quite small. Could it be that, in order to alleviate this, the defect rate is already built in to the current GeForce 7800 GTX and 24 fragment shaders is not the full number that G70 supports? Whilst many have speculated on an Ultra variant still to come and have been looking at the overclocks of the GTXs to speculate where it may hit, perhaps it could be the case that there are 32 fragment pipelines in G70 and the fully working die are quietly being collected for use at a later date?
Brick_Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-05, 04:42 PM   #2
serenity

Default Re: hum.....

So you or the person you quoted is suggesting that Nvidia is trying to screw their loyal customers who shelled out $600 in couple of months?

I dont think so.
serenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-05, 04:44 PM   #3
Brick_Top

I think you should think twice about that... the man who said that isn't just "some person" it's Dave Baumann.
Old 06-24-05, 04:46 PM   #4
serenity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick_Top
I think you should think twice about that... the man who said that isn't just "some person" it's Dave Baumann.
Ok so its the great Dave. Still if this turns out true, imagine the number of pissed people on just on Nvnews.

7800 GTX owners = (If this is true, pretty big if there )
Old 06-24-05, 04:47 PM   #5
***CENSORED***
Enter the Homertrix!

Coming from Dave Baumann, this is definitely not an article to just shrug off.
***CENSORED*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-05, 05:06 PM   #6
BrianG
aka HalcYoN - Hook Em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenity
Ok so its the great Dave. Still if this turns out true, imagine the number of pissed people on just on Nvnews.

7800 GTX owners = (If this is true, pretty big if there )
Oh, puhlease. I am so tired of posts like this, sorry if I am bout to single you out here...

Value is what you are willing to pay. So let's say this card drops to the $450-500 price range when a new phantom version G70 or R520 shows up in three months. That means the people that bought the GTX at release were willing to pay $100-150 to be able to use the card for three months longer than you choose to.

Its pretty simple economics at play. Start the price high to marry market supply to demand. Likewise, as time goes by, the lifespan of the product as a "competitive" player in the market drops so the $$$ the consumer is willing to shell drops knowing that another upgrade cycle may be on the horizon.

I may just add the "there's always something faster about to come out" tagline to my signature. I could say you are the one being owned for not being able to play at 16x12 with transparency AA because you want to wait for products that don't exist. I see plenty of happy gamers running 7800s right now regardles of the future...

Again, sorry for singling out your post.

photobriangray
Nikon D700 and D300s | SB-600 | Tamron 28-75/2.8 | Tamron 17-50/2.8 | Nikon 70-200VR I
10.5/2.8 Fisheye | 28/1.8 AF-S | 35/1.8 AF-S | 50/1.8 | 105/F2 AF-D | Sigma 150/2.8 Macro
Nikon J1 | 10-30VR |30-100VR | 10/2.8 | 18/1.8
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-05, 05:13 PM   #7
Brick_Top

How can you be so sure that the product don't exist? I guess you can go tell Dave how silly his suggestion is
Old 06-24-05, 05:20 PM   #8
serenity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG
Oh, puhlease. I am so tired of posts like this, sorry if I am bout to single you out here...
I am also tired of people like you who keep justifying these sky high prices every 6 months, no wait its 3 months now according to this theory.

Quote:
Value is what you are willing to pay. So let's say this card drops to the $450-500 price range when a new phantom version G70 or R520 shows up in three months. That means the people that bought the GTX at release were willing to pay $100-150 to be able to use the card for three months longer than you choose to.
$450-500 would be the price of a NEW 7800 GTX if the 32 pipe version makes its debut. Imagine the price of an old one.

Quote:
I may just add the "there's always something faster about to come out" tagline to my signature. I could say you are the one being owned for not being able to play at 16x12 with transparency AA because you want to wait for products that don't exist. I see plenty of happy gamers running 7800s right now regardles of the future...

Again, sorry for singling out your post.
ROFL

Me along with 98% of the population that doesnt spend $599 a videocard that is supposed to last 3 months at the top are owned ? That also includes you in the owned group, so are you saying that you are owned also ?

Oh and one thing, my 6800 GT beats the crap out of 2 6600GTs.

Next time try to post sense and dont try to get yourself owned.

Old 06-24-05, 06:01 PM   #9
Red_Shift
MESA

Send a message via MSN to Red_Shift

You started the owned thing. BrianG was only stating that if purchasing a 7800GTX now is nonsense so it is not buying it and not enjoy the card for the time being. C'mon people who already bought a 7800GTX are likely to sell it and buy a better one at the time this better one arrives, so they weren't owned, and from these stupid perspectives that you've started we were the ones who got owned cause they were allways enjoying the best on the market and we didn't.

Asus P4P800 (socket 865PE) || P4 2,6C @ 3,25Ghz|| 1Gb PC3200 Twinmos CL2.5-3-3-8
Asus V9999GT 128Mb DDR @ 400/850
Seagate 80Gb ATA 7200rpm 2mb cache || DVD-RW TDK 16x +/-R, 4xDL || CD-RW Samsung 48x24x48x
Enermax Noisetaker 375W
Red_Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-05, 06:11 PM   #10
serenity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Shift
You started the owned thing. BrianG was only stating that if purchasing a 7800GTX now is nonsense so it is not buying it and not enjoy the card for the time being. C'mon people who already bought a 7800GTX are likely to sell it and buy a better one at the time this better one arrives, so they weren't owned, and from these stupid perspectives that you've started we were the ones who got owned cause they were allways enjoying the best on the market and we didn't.
lol

By the same logic, we all are owned just because Oprah owns a fcuking plane and we dont ?

Lame comparision, lame points.
Old 06-24-05, 06:14 PM   #11
dnavas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick_Top
What do you think about this ?
I can't find a definitive die size for NV40. I've got an estimate at 287mm^2 and an estimate of 304mm^2. I'll use the smaller size. You get about 40% more from .13->.11 (all other things being equal, which they probably aren't). I see a max around 62.5% greater space, with about 35% greater actual transistors.

From what I've read, the transistors are spread across 8FS, 2VS, larger internal caching (maybe), increased functionality of the existing 2nd ALU for each pipe, some logic for shutting down inactive parts of the chip, etc.

There would seem to be room ... maybe.
I didn't put much faith in the 32pipe rumor. Especially for a 110nm part.
But....

-Dave
dnavas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-05, 06:27 PM   #12
NoWayDude
Charlie don't Surf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenity
lol

By the same logic, we all are owned just because Oprah owns a fcuking plane and we dont ?

Lame comparision, lame points.
And your point is exactly.....?Besides the owned part that is.
NoWayDude is offline   Reply With Quote