Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-23-05, 04:27 PM   #1
joltcola
Amputechture - 9/12

Default WoW lock up at disclaimer *need ur input*

Hey guys...

Alright... I got my system in from newegg a few days ago. I've assembled it and have it up and running. WinXP installed, utilities installed (sisandra, etc), MS Office.

I've installed WoW and it'll play through the movie segment, and load up. When it gets to the disclaimer screen in-game, the system locks up completly if I try and move the slide bar (to activate the agree button). It can sit there all day, at that screen. The fire animation moves, and I can alt-tab out to the desktop. It is when I try to scroll down does it lock.

At first, I thought it was the same problem many people that own a 6600GT have, with freezing/lock-ups. Everything points to the same problem. The only thing that gets me is that most people lock up after they get into the game. Any of the problems expressed have been in-game or during load up of the game. I'm not even getting that far, even though I've loaded a bunch of applications and utilities.

I'm just wondering what everything thinks of that. Do you think its is the same freezing problem that owners of 6600GTs and 6800s experince? Or is this something different since I'm not even close to entering the game.

please help... this is driving me nutz

edit: also... I've researched the hell out of the problem with 6600GTs freezing up. This isn't a crying post, im just looiking for some more input on my problem.
-- jolt
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.- Aristotle
"sorry... Nvnews distracted me" - Tuork
"You work three jobs? That's uniquely American," President Bush told her. "That's fantastic."

Last edited by joltcola; 03-23-05 at 04:47 PM.
joltcola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-05, 07:59 AM   #2
killahsin

Default Re: WoW lock up at disclaimer *need ur input*

Firewall or router port possibly?
killahsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-05, 09:54 AM   #3
joltcola
Amputechture - 9/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by killahsin
Firewall or router port possibly?
That is a good suggestion. I don't have any firewalls setup on this system as of yet, so I do belive that is a problem. The modem/firewall that I have from my isp is the same one I've been using for a few months without problem, do I don't belive that is it.

I have made some progress though. When I get to the agreement/disclaimer page, instead of clicking on the slide bar and moving it down, I've scrolled down and I've gotten past it. I'm currently updating WoW at a pretty nice d/l speed. I should be done here soon. I'll update this if after its done.

Thanks for the reply though. I'll double check to make sure all ports are open that are require for WoW.

-- jolt
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.- Aristotle
"You work three jobs? That's uniquely American," President Bush told her. "That's fantastic."
Old 03-24-05, 02:16 PM   #4
killahsin

np man, and good luck. Careful though its an addictive game
killahsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-05, 08:37 PM   #5
joltcola
Amputechture - 9/12

I'm still dead in the water atm. I'm still trying to figure out this card and its various issues. I'm itching to RMA the !@#!@'er and get a x700 pro or x800 pro. This is breaking my heart here. I've been a fan of nvidia products for years, and now this. I'm pissed

-- jolt
Old 03-24-05, 09:47 PM   #6
joltcola
Amputechture - 9/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by joltcola
I'm still dead in the water atm. I'm still trying to figure out this card and its various issues. I'm itching to RMA the !@#!@'er and get a x700 pro or x800 pro. This is breaking my heart here. I've been a fan of nvidia products for years, and now this. I'm pissed

-- jolt
Okie dokie... an oops on my part, but an easy mistake to make imo. I was able to fix my problem after changing which slots my ram were installed into. I followed the specifications in my manual, but I made a wrong turn somewhere.

I'm back up and running with wow....

.. time to kill some alliance!
Old 03-24-05, 11:05 PM   #7
Marcos
think of me not at all

Send a message via AIM to Marcos

Quote:
Originally Posted by joltcola
Okie dokie... an oops on my part, but an easy mistake to make imo. I was able to fix my problem after changing which slots my ram were installed into. I followed the specifications in my manual, but I made a wrong turn somewhere.

I'm back up and running with wow....

.. time to kill some alliance!
explain maybe someone else will have the problem, did you have like a ram in slot 1 and slot 4 or something

<-- worst. smiley. ever.
Marcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-05, 11:11 PM   #8
ChrisRay

I dunno but I have experienced lockups with triple buffering enabled in game. That caused crazy hard locks for me. Disabling it fixed it.
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-05, 12:08 AM   #9
joltcola
Amputechture - 9/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos
explain maybe someone else will have the problem, did you have like a ram in slot 1 and slot 4 or something
Good call.

I have two sticks of pc3200 by GEIL. I had mine in slots one and three, as suggested by the "Recommended Memory Comination List" table in the manual.
Well, I guess I wasn't reading it right, but they have another table specifically for dual channel setup and some guidelines for it. It suggest for dual-channel, slots 1 (green) and 2 (purple) or 3 (green) and 4 (purple) oooor if you have four sticks (up to 4gb), just line 'em up. I guess the way I had it (and it warns you not to do this since it "may cause some system failure". ), was the source of my problem.

So, my issues were of my own doing. But hell... I learned a bunch getting through it.
How I have forgotten to rtfm in the last year.

-- jolt