Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-25-05, 10:14 AM   #13
oldsk00l

Default Re: Apple isn't the only one with a reality distortion field.

That's great, but they still suck.
Old 03-25-05, 12:09 PM   #14
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos
Dell is the only pc i would buy from a company.... Ive had numerous ones thru the years (laptops) and I have a dell here at work. I wouldnt touch HP, compaq, Emachine, with a 10 foot poles dick. And he big boys who make their $4000+ systems are a joke.
Same here. Another thing I like about dell is they allow you to upgrade your own computer without voiding your warranty, and they use standard parts instead of proprietary. In fact they even give you a case that is designed to be easy to open for self servicing. They even have somewhat of a standard for laptop designs as well. I know this is somewhat of an oxymoron as laptops are proprietary by their nature, but it's true. I bought a video card for a toshiba laptop that worked just fine in my dell inspiron, and get this, dell even said they would include that new video card in my laptops warranty, even though I didn't buy it from them. (lets see apple do that )

Companies like Compaq will require that if you do get an upgrade, you get it through them or else they void your warranty. They also build cases and motherboards that are way off spec with all standards, so if you ever want to do any major upgrades, you have to buy a whole new computer. I'll bet you can say pretty much the same thing about Apple.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-05, 12:11 PM   #15
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

I always build my own rigs but when I had to buy a laptop to replace my girl's old toshiba, I went with Dell.

Not because it was the cheapest or best (although it was one of the lower priced ones out there and had everythng we wanted) but because of the warranty.

Complete care, with 2 big fat cats running round is bliss
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-05, 12:17 PM   #16
Riptide

Their Latitude line is nice. That's what we get @ work, and with gold support. The Inspirons are OK but they are el-cheapo. My mom had me get one for her and I told her to make sure and treat it nicely. She only has the 1 year mail-in warranty so she better be careful with it.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-05, 12:47 PM   #17
Rakeesh

? The lattitude is the lower end version of the inspiron.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Old 03-25-05, 02:31 PM   #18
Riptide

No, the Latitude is the high end laptop. Inspiron is lower end.
Old 03-25-05, 02:59 PM   #19
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Not quite.

Latitude is business end solution, Inspiron is for regular consumers.

They share basically the same tech for the most part. There are some design differences which reduce the overall cost of ownership of a family of Latitude computers (i.e. the D family)

Typically the tech on the Inspiron's is newer/more cutting edge than Latitude's.

Wrt warranties, you can upgrade to the same level of support or better on an Inspiron as you will typically have on a Latitude.

One is not really better than the other. The casing on Latitude's though is more durable than on Inspirons, again for the purposes of being in a business environment where a lot more use is expected of the item (a la the Optiplex and Precision lineups)
Old 03-25-05, 03:16 PM   #20
Rakeesh

The inspiron and lattitude parts are actually interchangable, (have swapped out a few motherboards between them myself.) With the inspiron however, you can actually buy the latest technologies, such as the newest video cards, newest CPUs, and newest mobile chipsets. With the latitude however, theres a longer wait until these are available.

Old 03-25-05, 03:28 PM   #21
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK
The inspiron and lattitude parts are actually interchangable, (have swapped out a few motherboards between them myself.) With the inspiron however, you can actually buy the latest technologies, such as the newest video cards, newest CPUs, and newest mobile chipsets. With the latitude however, theres a longer wait until these are available.
For the most part, yes Alpha, they are.

Like I said they are based off of the same tech, for example the old D600 lineup == Inspiron 600m except for the titanium casing and a few other things.

When talking about interchangeable operability, an entire family of Latitudes (C, or D for example) share certain similar components and can utilise similar parts such as chargers and media bays. Therefore you tend to spend a little more on Latitudes to start off with, but as a business you end up saving bucks on the backend.

With the current gen of Latitude D's, ie the 810 and the 610, they have the new M chipsets and the new procs as well. They won't have quite as good a gfx card typically but the pci-e tech is supported so if you were clever, you could find a way
Old 03-25-05, 03:39 PM   #22
Riptide

This C840 Latitude I use at work has a beautiful screen. I only wish the GeForce it came with could push games at reasonable frame rates. <sigh>

/Me wants X800 or 6800 mobile.
Old 03-26-05, 08:32 AM   #23
Riptide

The 2405FPW is a Samsung panel, not BenQ. Where did you hear that @?
Old 03-26-05, 08:29 PM   #24
Riptide

So what does this mean? BenQ is assembling the bezel and the panel but the panel itself is produced by Samsung?

EDIT n/m
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.ph...postcount=1762

Quote:
The panel is made by Samsung but the monitor itself is assembled by BenQ THere is even a way to see the panel manufacturer but I don't remember how. Does anyone remember what is the key combination to go to manufacturer's setup menu?