Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-25-05, 12:29 AM   #1
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Arrow DOOM 3: ROE Expansion Pack Feedback Thread

I decided to open this early since alot of people already have the expansion... so... lets hear it

Last edited by jAkUp; 04-04-05 at 02:55 AM.
jAkUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-05, 06:43 AM   #2
ChrisRay

Default Re: DOOM 3: ROE Expansion Pack Feedback Thread

Oh thats totally cheating for the first thread
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-05, 03:20 AM   #3
ClosetFanBoy
Thorazine shuffle

double barrel shotty baby! nuff said!. actually this is quite fun. i loved doom 3 even if it was very vanilla (basically i think thats how carmack wanted to keep it), this has got some goodies, which are pretty fun. i've made it past the 1st of the 3 new bosses(?) and all i can say is im hooked. messed with the ctf mp and i quite enjoyed it, fired up a server and man people joined within minutes.

its pretty action paced this go round, your pretty much thrown into the fray right off the bat, and you get the some new toys fairly quickly into the game. its still gotta a creepy feel to it, but doesnt seem to be as focused on trying to make you jump out of your seat. there's also some bactracking involved, not really a big fan of that, but i guess its meant to give you the feel of not heading in one sole direction all the time?

so basically... its quite fun.

i still dont understand why they dont have a greenhouse on mars.

iPhone junkie...
ClosetFanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-05, 03:31 AM   #4
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

After playing for a bit, I too got past the first boss. I have to say the 'grabber' is definatly better than its Half-Life 2 counter part, much more usefull and much more fun.

As for the duble barrel shotgun, wow. On the single barrel the reload time is wayyy to slow, the duble is just rediclous. At first i told my friends, if you miss with the shotgun, your ****ed. But i now pass that on to the duble barrel shotgun, however your twice as ****ed.

So far, I feel that is is a bit dark and too much sneaking around, then trying to guess where the monster has spawned. However I feel the gameplay is a bit quicker than Doom3, and you dont have to go though as much 'story telling' crap as Doom3 also witch adds so much for replay.

As for the CTF side, wow all it is missing is weapon balance and a off hand grappleing hook, ala Expert CTF
The map design is amazing, it brings me back to the 'good ol days' And i really like how they are textured. Espically how there are markings on the floor telling what powerup/weapon spawns there. I cant wait to get on a server that dosent suck and try a 4v4 : )
However, I really wish they got some Id magic on the network engine. It really needs it. First of all, I still CANNOT belive that it dose not have http redirecting for missing files. It makes it nearly impossible to use custom maps and mods on a server. However, i wonder if that can amazinely be modded in. I really would love to see some fast paced Expert CTF action in doom3, but i can only dream!

On a side note, Id seems to have have become more aggressive with their copy protection. However not as rampant as steam, if avaible Doom3 checks BOTH cdkeys with a cdauth server. However unlike STEAM it dose not bitch if no internet is avaible, there is not even a 'cuple' second delay while it trys futile attemps to verify the cd key. I have to congradulate Id, they seem to have found the median between protecting their intrest, and the customers intrest.

Last edited by GlowStick; 04-04-05 at 03:48 AM.
GlowStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-05, 04:03 AM   #5
thenerdguy

I love it.
Gameplay is smooth, Sometime makes you jump. The three bosses are awsome!. Grabber beats HL2s but i do wish it was a setting where you could set grabbed item down with waiting till the charge runs out.

Ai is very good. So far i havnt ran into many imp yet. The Replaying the older delta labs (You fought in delta labs in the 1st game) is very fun. Fighting 10x more hll knights makes game play fun. Hell time flat out rocks!

I wish it was longer.
Old 04-04-05, 05:16 AM   #6
Superfly
Retired

umm sounds good

cant wait till friday.
Old 04-04-05, 11:19 AM   #7
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

i think i would be a good person to post my 2 cents about this game. mainly, thats cause i HATED the original doom 3. i wasnt what i had waited for years for, so i am aprehensive about this expansion.

first off, it is fun. as soon as i started playing, i was drawn in right from the start. this is in stark constrast to the original that set the mood and built up to excitment. This game is less about scaring you and more about entertaining you. the game starts off quickly and you are sent right into action, which is refreshing for this game.

the grahics and soudn are the same as the first doom 3, so there is no change there.

without revealing too much of a spolier, i will say that Doom 3 has a physics engine that was very under-utilized in the first game. it amazed me when i could "interact" with the environment in ways that the original doom didnt even tease you with.

so, all in all, i am very pleased with this expansion. it almost completely makes up for the original doom's level os disappointment.
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-05, 12:15 PM   #8
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenerdguy
I love it.
Gameplay is smooth, Sometime makes you jump. The three bosses are awsome!. Grabber beats HL2s but i do wish it was a setting where you could set grabbed item down with waiting till the charge runs out.

Ai is very good. So far i havnt ran into many imp yet. The Replaying the older delta labs (You fought in delta labs in the 1st game) is very fun. Fighting 10x more hll knights makes game play fun. Hell time flat out rocks!

I wish it was longer.
Press 'Reload' to set an item down

And with Zoomy I agree, the levels are more fun, however I still feel there is a bit of 'guess where the monster spanwed' again.

One thing that bugs me is, where did the zombie marines come from again???

Old 04-04-05, 01:55 PM   #9
Marcos
think of me not at all

Send a message via AIM to Marcos

just got it. need to leave office to play. wahhhhhhhhh

<-- worst. smiley. ever.
Marcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-05, 02:15 PM   #10
jolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlowStick
One thing that bugs me is, where did the zombie marines come from again???
Same as in the first game, zombied marines.. guards.
As I understand it the facility is reopened, that would entail a new staff..
Old 04-04-05, 02:20 PM   #11
Gentle

Default Hey, Doom 3 T-Shirt still available in certain locales...

I just purchased it from Best Buy in Chesterfield, Missouri (St. Louis) and they still had the "Pre-Order" box (FREE T-SHIRT) on the shelf, no others were visible on the shelf.

I picked one up. I also had them check in the back for the actual expansion, they had it and I got one.

Also, the free "book", is more of a pamphlet advertising the Making of Doom 3 book. It comes in a DVD case.

I went and purchased the "Pre-Order" and then walked over to Customer Service and had them ring up the purchase on the expansion.

$29.99 plus tax for...

The game
The T-Shirt
The Book

Gentle
Gentle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-05, 02:26 PM   #12
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Just beat it a few minutes ago. It was decent, it had some pretty fun parts and while there wasn't much new stuff (aside from levels), what was added was pretty well executed. It IS pretty short though, a dozen levels and 4 bosses sounds like more of a large user-made mod project than a $40 expansion. Bosses were fairly easy to figure out how to defeat, but at least they required a bit of strategy rather than the basic "hold down trigger until one of you dies" tactic. The last boss was quite nice, although a little easy and didn't last as long as I wished it would've. Also the "ending" is a major disapointment, it's basically a 20 clip showing the boss dying and then credits. Overall it was pretty much more of the same, but it was still quite enjoyable.

I'm thinking about trying some CTF later tonight, but if the netcode is anything like regular Doom 3's then I'm afraid to even see what 8-player servers would be like. Than again, the expansion did install the 1.2 patch, so presumably that improved the netcode at least a little...right?
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote