Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-04-05, 01:50 PM   #13
Marcos
think of me not at all

Send a message via AIM to Marcos
Default Re: DOOM 3: ROE Expansion Pack Feedback Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Just beat it a few minutes ago. It was decent, it had some pretty fun parts and while there wasn't much new stuff (aside from levels), what was added was pretty well executed. It IS pretty short though, a dozen levels and 4 bosses sounds like more of a large user-made mod project than a $40 expansion
40$?

<-- worst. smiley. ever.
Marcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-05, 02:10 PM   #14
XP_GUN

hahaha I went down to bestbuy and picked up Doom3 and the "free" dvd. Im installing it right now and well opened up the dvd case just to see whats in it and said wheres the DVD then I opened the pamphlet and said what joke
Old 04-04-05, 02:30 PM   #15
DMA
Zzzleepy

http://www.gamechronicles.com/review...m3exp1/roe.htm

First (?) review is up. He enjoyed it and gave it a 9.8.
Old 04-04-05, 02:56 PM   #16
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos
40$?
Oh, my mistake, I guess it retails for $35 (though I didn't pay that much). Still too high IMO, I thought AvP2: Primal Hunt was about an equivalent expansion and it only retailed for $20 upon it's release.

Actually, the thing I can never understand is why these expansions are priced so insanely high for the content you get compared to the original game. Think about it: in the original they have to totally make all the weapons, textures, sounds, enemies, engine, etc. from scratch, yet expansions aren't even half the length of the original and only add a small percentage of new content on top of the original game, yet retail for well over half the price. I guess they must REALLY compensate for the fact that the expansion won't sell as much as the original, so they jack up the price to even out the profit margins.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-05, 03:47 PM   #17
jolle

I guess its Activision, who does the publishing of the game, that controls the price..
And they prolly set the price based on how easy it is to sell or something like that, Doom III is popular, everyone who likes it wants the expansion, so they know it will sell, thus dont feel they have to put a low price tag on it to make it more attractive..

Thats my guess..
Old 04-04-05, 04:59 PM   #18
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

After playing on a half decent CTF server i have to say WOW!!!!

It is great, with the shadows while defending it allows people to camp, however its actually kind of cool. You can be competley useen, when someone goes for the flag you open up your rocket launcher. And like d3 and d3mp its hard to hit people!!! However megafun. I really like the map desgin, however i wish they were a bit more open than they are.

However a bit OT, dose anyone know how to set up a dedicated linux ctf server? If so i may beable to get a decent on up!
Old 04-04-05, 05:16 PM   #19
Marcos
think of me not at all

Send a message via AIM to Marcos

Quote:
Originally Posted by XP_GUN
hahaha I went down to bestbuy and picked up Doom3 and the "free" dvd. Im installing it right now and well opened up the dvd case just to see whats in it and said wheres the DVD then I opened the pamphlet and said what joke

so where was the dvd

<-- worst. smiley. ever.
Marcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-05, 05:21 PM   #20
Nv40
Agent-Fx

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlowStick

One thing that bugs me is, where did the zombie marines come from again???
Wich show how poor is the GAme STory in practice, THings exist in the game just because they exist. THe Story of a game could be even written by the most famous writer in the world , but if the game in practice doesnt care to follow it ,the its wasted work ,to write a good story for the game.

personally i dont like even the story of Doom3 , it doesnt have any credibility at all inside the science fitction world. And experiment in a lab goes wrong and suddenly the gates of "mars hell" are opened . And one of the most important scientist of the LAB is the Evil one ,that controls all the monsters and zombies from mars hell. Doom3 and wonderland goes to mars. And an the marines have very advanced weapons and technology ,but they dont know how to handle a flashlight and a pistol at the same time. THe only thing missing was the clasic nuclear explotion that usually happens whenever you kill the last Demon in the game.

I will never forget an interview with IDsoftware ,where they explained that in "outdoors" in the original game ,the marine will not use a helmet ,because "it looks cool" without it , and also told.. "it just a game". SO what? just because is a game or even a holywood movie Thats means that is not important to make people believe is real the experience.? THere are many Hollywood movies that for 2 hours you believe you were there. And games that make you feel you are indeed fighting .THats why they should dedicate better to sell engines and let other developers do the games for them. BEcause obviously Idsoftware doesnt have a clue of how to create Single player games ,that makes people feel that they are indeed THERE. not just "playing a game" . multiplayer in the other side they have create excelent games up to quake3.

ROE expasion pack seems a good game ,looking forward for it , the game/story flaws... are IDsoftware fault , There is not much others developers can already do to fix it.. i think ROE developers have no other choice to follow the same route of Doom3 in wonderland and mars at some degree.. but in the gameplay department by looking at the comments here ,they have suceeced in creating a very fun game.

Excelent game interactivity is a must do thing. to make the game fun and make people feel they were there. Hl2 physics and weapons are a perfect example of this.

Doom3 original is missing things like..

-melee weapons.. (wouldn't be nice to use any piece of metal or wood in the floor and hit those zombies and squash their heads ?

-great interactivity will all the enviroments.. ability to break or deform almost anything ,to climb to any place to hide in any place. Most boxes ,tables ,rocks or other surfaces in the original doom3 are merely decorative and no way improve the gameplay. and most in Doom3 is to run from A to B ,and shoot anything that moves.THe enviroments are there just because they are there. just for the graphics ,nothing to do with gameplay. however at least in 1-2 levels there was some kind of puzzles or elevators.

and in multiplayer..
-Why not play as a zombie? as an imp? as a hellknight? or cacodemon ? and use all your special powers againts the marines. Evil vs Good forces .

-solid multiplayer with up to 12 players at least.. that most likelly will not be playable in lower end machines ,but at least the option will be there for others with better machines.

Those things will surely made that game really awesome .BUt we will surely see features like this in others scary games . but for now ,ROE looks like a FUn game for now,even people that hated doom3 says this one is cool ,so looking forward for it.

Last edited by Nv40; 04-05-05 at 03:48 AM.
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-05, 06:35 PM   #21
XP_GUN

Well I just finished the game and all I can say was that that was intence. But I finished it in 5:00 hours.
Old 04-04-05, 07:11 PM   #22
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Talking Re: DOOM 3: ROE Expansion Pack Feedback Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by XP_GUN
Well I just finished the game and all I can say was that that was intence. But I finished it in 5:00 hours.
Wow, that's kinda scary because I want it to last longer than that! Well here's my take on the Expansion Pack so far . . .

I'm currently on the 2nd level and I am truely impressed. It does what an EP is supposed to do; continue with the original story and not recapping for the slackers . One thing I kinda don't like is the "story continuation". What sucks about it is that you touch an artifact you're not supposed to touch and all hell breaks loose; that's it. I thought something else would've happened but not really. But in a way, this is cool because you just put right in the game ASAP. Boom, you're there.

Another cool thing is how through the first 30 mins of the game, you are revealed to more monsters than 3 hours in the original game. The Hunters are pretty sweet and the "Floating HellKnight" was really cool. As far the weapons, the "Grabber" is pretty neat but I don't like it as much as the HL2 Grav Gun. I don't like having a timelimit on holding an item, a plasma "string" coming from the gun to the object, and having to hold the mouse button in the hold an object. Hope that made sense. I just liked the feel of the HL2 GG better.

This EP seems real promising and I think it is a blast to play. Of course, I'm a hardcore Doom fan through and through (waited almost 2 years for Doom 3 ). I'll post more comments as I go through the game.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-05, 08:38 PM   #23
OWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlowStick
On a side note, Id seems to have have become more aggressive with their copy protection. However not as rampant as steam, if avaible Doom3 checks BOTH cdkeys with a cdauth server. However unlike STEAM it dose not bitch if no internet is avaible, there is not even a 'cuple' second delay while it trys futile attemps to verify the cd key. I have to congradulate Id, they seem to have found the median between protecting their intrest, and the customers intrest.
Yeah, this is a great compromise. I'm just so happy I don't have to have the CD in the drive since I currently have to keep SCCT in it all the time.

Well, I finally got ROE today and picked up the Doom 3 collectors edition for the Xbox while I was at it. I guess I'm all set.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-05, 08:43 PM   #24
ClosetFanBoy
Thorazine shuffle

unfortunately it does seem to be going by fast now, im afraid im at then end. sad very sad

i think the artifacts make it a bit too easy, then again i guess i should haven chosen the most difficult setting but as i was saying with the artifact, you can take down the most difficult of enemies with ease, and using the artifact is part of the fun. sadly i already feel as if im going to be starving for more...

quake 4 - rtcw 2 please!

iPhone junkie...
ClosetFanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote