Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-08-05, 10:26 AM   #49
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942
Default Re: DOOM 3: ROE Expansion Pack Feedback Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seoulstriker
It's likely that the good ones which are short are going to be bad ones when long. Production quality and all things considered.

very good point.
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-05, 11:55 AM   #50
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeero1978
good game + long game = farcry
Very much agreed. FarCry was awesome. I'm just kinda dissapointed it didn't blow up more like Doom 3 and Half Life 2, ya know? It didn't really get it's props . . . ???
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-05, 07:51 PM   #51
Buenamos

I just beat it, WOW. The ending was pretty sweet! Great game, for those of you who didn't like the original doom 3, try this. I hated the original but this was absolutely fantastic. WELL DONE!
Gaming PC: KOOLANCE PC3-410BK / SILVERSTONE ST70F 700W Modular / Q6600 G0 @ 3.2 / Swiftech Apogee GT Block /Asus P5Q Pro / 2x2gb 1066 G-Skill / EVGA GTX570 / 2 x Asus VH242 1080p monitors / Audigy Xi-Fi Platinum / Seagate 160gb HDD / Seagate 500gb HDD

Laptop: Inspiron 1520 15.4" LCD/ Intel Core 2 Duo 7300 (2ghz) / 2 gb RAM / 8600m GT / 80gb HDD / N Wireless / Blue Tooth

Media Center: AMD 4400+ / 2 gb OCZ Platinum / EVGA 9800gt / Audigty 2ZS / 42" LG 1080p 120hz / 3 x 1.5tb HDDs

Xbox 360 / Wii
Buenamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-05, 12:23 AM   #52
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

I just beat the game myself. I was somewhat expecting a little more out of this, but I still enjoyed it very much. I agree that the game was very very short. One thing that I thought was weird was that some of the monsters made very short appearances. For example, I only saw 1 archvile, 3 chaingun commandos, 10 ticks and 5 trites. Does that not seem odd? Also, the whole "Going to hell" trip was like a 10 min thing . . . .

*SPOILER*
Betruger was a pain in the butt to defeat at first, compared to the CyberDemon in Doom 3. Also, the story plot was very good until the end. The ending was a bit of a let down with the whole white light and McNeil saying "Welcome home marine." I was like WHAT? THAT'S IT!? Oh well.
*SPOILER*

I give this game (EP if you will) a 9 out of 10!
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-05, 02:18 PM   #53
Nv40
Agent-Fx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intel17
Well so far in the SP campaign (I'm at phobos lab 3), it's really, really good, and it's very entertaining!

However, the biggest thing I love about ROE is the MP! Doom 3 MP just plain out sucked and the visual quality in the MP maps was lower than Quake 3 Arenas. However, I just got finished playing a game of ROE DM in a caverns-set level, and it's far and away one of the best MP experiences I've had in quite some time.

The visuals are amazing, the weapon balance is awesome, great use of powerups and the pace is as it should be for an MP Doom game!

ROE is amazing overall and if you liked (or even disliked) Doom 3, then this is for you!

I finished the game already... And while i liked more the Doom3 original ending , ROE entire game was more intense and fun to play. It was better than i expected.. So consider this as a major compliment indeed.

WHen it comes to graphics..
ITs the same Doom3 engine , but some nice tweaks in MP ,gameplay and new weapons. However ROE graphics looks much more polished ,i noticed this instanly in most of levels ,with textures of higher quality in most of the levels i have seen. was a bit surprised by this. with some use of the old D3 textures here or there.

the all reflections same is still there ,however their artist have hidden it in most cases. Good thing is ,my faith in D3 MP has been restored a lot,after seeing the amazing CTF levels , and Deathmatch levels. For a moment i though i was in a quake3 ctf mod with support for realtime lighting. The diferences between Doom3 mp levels and ROE Mp levels are night to day indeed.

here is one of my fav Mp levels..

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ROE_CTF3.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	11206  

Last edited by Nv40; 04-09-05 at 02:38 PM.
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-05, 03:12 PM   #54
holmes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nv40

the all reflections same is still there ,however their artist have hidden it in most cases. Good thing is ,my faith in D3 MP has been restored a lot,after seeing the amazing CTF levels , and Deathmatch levels. For a moment i though i was in a quake3 ctf mod with support for realtime lighting. The diferences between Doom3 mp levels and ROE Mp levels are night to day indeed.

here is one of my fav Mp levels..
yup.. the MP looks amazing. Honestly, for a next gen engine, UE3 looks maybe 10% better than Doom3:RoE. That's kind of dissapointing in that anything using that engine is still a year or two away. It doesn't really impress me anymore.. On a more positive note. I can't wait for Quake4... Bring it on, baby!!

The Rig
ASRock 970 Extreme3 AM3+
AMD Athlon II x2 260
DDR3-1600 (2x2GB) Kingston HyperX
Western Digital caviar 1TB
ECS GeForce GT 220 1GB
Cooler Master Storm Scout ATX case
Corsair 750W PSU
holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-05, 06:31 PM   #55
Slyder
AMD + Nv = pro gaming rig

Well parties over, I clocked RoE in literally a few hours and thats with taken time to explore.

The UK 30 price point is silly for what you get but thats all I will say on that. Its a nice exp pack, nice new weapons but a few more would of been nice and the last lever took the flaming mick. I clocked it, but it was a hard one.

8/10

Come on CoD 2...
Maxtor 6Y080L0 7200rpm 80 gig DiamondMax Plus 9 HDD
Gigabyte Dual 6600GT SLI Enabled
CTX VL701B 17ins CRT 0.27dpi 72khz MPRII Black
Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
BenQ DW1655 LS DVD-Rewriter with BCDB f/w (ohh yes, get on)
LiteOn 48246S CD writer with SS0E f/w
NTL 10 meg cable connection thru Ambit 250 modem. Ethernet connected
Linksys BEFSR41 v3 router with 1.05.00 f/w
Enermax 535 watts SLI-Ready PSU
XP pro with SP2
Playing multiplayer games online and lan enabled untill the day we die.

What I think of the word Blog
Slyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-05, 07:02 PM   #56
kev13dd

Ever since I installed 7X.XX drivers, for some reason the screen goes black in the middle of play. And it won't return. Even the menu is black. I have to Crtl-Alt-Del just to exit, and even then, my desktop is REALLY bright and I have to restart

That or when the game starts up with some drivers, the screen instantly goes white and it says ROE has experienced an error, and most now close. The desktop remains bright for this one too

GAH!

K
kev13dd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-05, 10:48 PM   #57
Intel17
Is not an Intel fanboi

NV40, yeah I agree with you. It does look much more polished, and the MP part has restored my faith in proving that it can do more than the Q3A engine could in MP as well as SP.

Also yes, they did manage to hide the specularity/lack of subsurface scattering quite well, although in some places it's just sticking out nagging at me...possibly because I look for this stuff...
Intel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-05, 10:56 PM   #58
superklye

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes
yup.. the MP looks amazing. Honestly, for a next gen engine, UE3 looks maybe 10% better than Doom3:RoE. That's kind of dissapointing in that anything using that engine is still a year or two away. It doesn't really impress me anymore.. On a more positive note. I can't wait for Quake4... Bring it on, baby!!
I dunno man...every time I see UE3, I am more impresssed. It's definitely the greatest looking engine ever (from the screenies at least).
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-05, 12:00 AM   #59
holmes

OK, I may be exagerating slightly, but seriously... aside from a couple things it doesn't look so next-gen sitting next to Doom3:RoE.. Also, everything we've seen of UE3 are just tech demos. An actual game most likely won't push the boundaries of what the engine is capable of quite so hard...

The Rig
ASRock 970 Extreme3 AM3+
AMD Athlon II x2 260
ECS GeForce GT 220 1GB
Corsair 750W PSU
Old 04-10-05, 06:10 PM   #60
holmes

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes
OK, I may be exagerating slightly, but seriously... aside from a couple things it doesn't look so next-gen sitting next to Doom3:RoE.. Also, everything we've seen of UE3 are just tech demos. An actual game most likely won't push the boundaries of what the engine is capable of quite so hard...
OK, I may have to rescind that comment: this game's graphics are the boom diggity.. (is that a word?)

The Rig
ASRock 970 Extreme3 AM3+
AMD Athlon II x2 260
ECS GeForce GT 220 1GB
Corsair 750W PSU