Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-08-05, 01:14 PM   #73
holmes

Default Re: DOOM 3: ROE Expansion Pack Feedback Thread

Finished the game last night (yeah I know)... I like to take my time with my Doom3. There's only so much I can take per night, so I usually put in a level or two a night when I have time (on the weekends). These games really creep me out and make me very anxious, which is why I can only take so much at once. Call me a wuss if you like, but I think that is the greatest compliment to id and nerve on making such an amazing game that lives up to Doom3 and surpasses it in the process. About the only thing I would critique is that the ending came somewhat abruptly, I would have liked a bit of resolution cut scene kind of like from Doom3. Maybe Dr. McNeil and the marine could hook up ? But without a doubt, this is the greatest single player FPS experience I've had bar none. Now if only they'd release the linux binary so I wouldn't have to boot windows to get my CTF fix....

bravo id.

The Rig
ASRock 970 Extreme3 AM3+
AMD Athlon II x2 260
DDR3-1600 (2x2GB) Kingston HyperX
Western Digital caviar 1TB
ECS GeForce GT 220 1GB
Cooler Master Storm Scout ATX case
Corsair 750W PSU
holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-05, 12:01 AM   #74
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

i finished this game over the weekend as well.. it soooooo sad that i beat it, cause it was amazingly fun. it was everything doom 3 should have been
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-05, 02:10 PM   #75
ynnek

did they improve the multipalayer code since the orginal Doom3 release? All I remember that it was slow and choppy (single player ran fine, I guess multiplayer is just more stress, so I probably just need to turn down details).. but what urked me was even though the pings seemed to be fine, there would be a really noticable delay on shots and damage taken.. like I'd shoot someone with a shotgun, then its like 1/4 to 1/2 second till I see/hear the other guy take damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smthmlk.
i had bought this a lil more than a week ago, didn't play it much cuz I dont have time w/ school and all right now. Fired up the multiplayer tonight, specifically the CTF mode.. **** YES! Worth every penny just for CTF

runs well on my 6800ultra of course :P
ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-05, 07:52 AM   #76
BioHazZarD
USCM Marine

Send a message via MSN to BioHazZarD

RoE hell level was not so good as in Doom3 i was not scared at all but in Doom3 i was real scared.
Chieftec Miditower /w 5 case fans | Corsair 620W HX PSU | Asus M4N98TD EVO SLI | AMD Athlon2 X2 260 3,2GHz | Corsair 3GB PC3-10666 | eVGA Geforce GTX 460 1GB (336shader) | Samsung Spinpoint x2 250GB HD +SATA 320GB | SB Audigy 4 @ 2.1 | Samsung Syncmaster BX2331 TFT 23" running 1920x1080@60hz | Windows XP PRO SP2 | |
BioHazZarD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-05, 11:53 AM   #77
carkis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynnek
did they improve the multipalayer code since the orginal Doom3 release? All I remember that it was slow and choppy (single player ran fine, I guess multiplayer is just more stress, so I probably just need to turn down details).. but what urked me was even though the pings seemed to be fine, there would be a really noticable delay on shots and damage taken.. like I'd shoot someone with a shotgun, then its like 1/4 to 1/2 second till I see/hear the other guy take damage.
Yes, I've noticed a huge difference in net code. I felt the same things you did when playing D3 DM with only one other. Since the expansion I've played CTF with full 8 players and it runs great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioHazZarD
RoE hell level was not so good as in Doom3 i was not scared at all but in Doom3 i was real scared.
It probably wasn't as scary since you had the "I win" artifact charged and used, but I thought they did well spreading out the spawning so it was still a challenge yet not impossible without the artifact. The hell level had a fresh & new feeling in D3, but not in the expansion I guess. Looked the same.
carkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 03:21 AM   #78
AngelGraves13

I haven't yet played DOOM 3 in multiplayer, but I think I'll give it a shot tonight.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-05, 06:39 PM   #79
AngelGraves13

Well it's good to see the performace is up with the 1.3 patch
Old 06-17-05, 09:03 PM   #80
Acid Rain
What a sweet little...

Wow. I love this engine, and this expansion, though it leaves me wanting more. I geuss I shouldn't talk about length because I have yet to be able to beat the final boss.

Damn, that Betrugger!!! It's really hard. And I don't want to resort to godmode. I geuss I just have to slug it out and somehow beat the dragon boy.

Actually, I was so impressed by the final "dragon boy gets away" scene in the first one that I snapped a beautiful shot of him alighting on that stone pillar, and it's been my desktop background almost exclusively since. Alot of people have asked if it's from a cg movie, and I get to say, "nope, it was rendered in real-time, right here at about 60FPS. Want proof? Here you go! *loads save*".

Man, I love id's poly factory. I hope the ending in the expansion has another wallpaper worthy shot for me.
RAM: 4GB KHX6400D2LLK2
3D Porkware: Radeon HD 4890
Aux Equipment: Phase-B Nanocycloptics
Acid Rain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-05, 12:48 PM   #81
OWA

I had to cheat and use god mode. Heh, I have to do that in most games at some point.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-05, 12:53 PM   #82
holmes

Yeah, the boss in RoE is pretty tough... in general this game is harder than Doom3 although you have better weapons as well, but that boss battle is still pretty darn hard. I tried beating him cheat free, but I'm not that good . I played on Veteran and had to switch god on twice and did a "give health/ammo" in order to do it...

good luck!

The Rig
ASRock 970 Extreme3 AM3+
AMD Athlon II x2 260
DDR3-1600 (2x2GB) Kingston HyperX
Western Digital caviar 1TB
ECS GeForce GT 220 1GB
Cooler Master Storm Scout ATX case
Corsair 750W PSU
holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-05, 09:06 PM   #83
Acid Rain
What a sweet little...

I did cheat a little with a walkthrough to see if there was some secret to this fella, but nope. They made it sound easy. In fact, when discussing the previous boss, they said "This is the toughest fight in the game", like Betrugger was easy in comparison. Hmmm...

They said to fire off the artifact, casually lance the air with BFG charges, rinse repeat. Then they had the gaul to say "If, for some reason you run out, you can charge up the artifact with souls strewn about the battlefield."

Uhhh, like, all two souls? LOL!! And who DOESN'T run out??? We'll see. Still haven't godmoded, but I stopped playing a bit yesterday and mixed it up with my fourth run through of the original and sprinkled a little Far Cry and Painkiller in there.
RAM: 4GB KHX6400D2LLK2
3D Porkware: Radeon HD 4890
Aux Equipment: Phase-B Nanocycloptics
Acid Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-05, 03:56 AM   #84
AngelGraves13

When I play in god mode I think to myself that I'm superman and only kryptonite can hurt me...lucky the demons haven't figured that out lol Plus in this game you've got the superman speed, strength and god mode when you're using the artifact