Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-06-06, 05:56 PM   #13
chevrier

Default Re: Nvidia drivers incompatible with Ndiswrapper

I am getting exactly the same problem, and so are other people. Anyone found a fix yet? More info also available here:
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+bug/57355

Thanks a lot in advance - I hope someone is smart enough to figure it out - I'm not!

Thomas
chevrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-06, 06:36 PM   #14
IceBerg

This seems to happen under the following conditions, if any of you having problems have different setup then post your setups and configs, especialy which drivers your using and where you got them, but I'm pretty sure this is an ndiswrapper issue.

Compaq V3010US
BCM4311 PCIe
ndiswrapper with various drivers, the ones from compaq do not work, ndiswrapper thinks they are 64bit even though they are not. the BCM kernel drivers dont see PCIe cards aparently.
NV GeForce 6150, shared memory.

I can go for a long time untill I start running compiz or any OGL appl. Eventualy ndiswrapper's IRQ get's shut down no matter what.

So I added this to my grub kernel configuration line: pci=routeirq irqpoll

ndiswrapper did not get rerouted and it still dies witht eh IRQPOLL error.

This seems to be a hardware conflict. The bios on this laptop doesnt allow setting of IRQs manualy that is auto taken care of by the bios and drivers.

I'm running a Turion64X2 with -march=althlon64 I think ndiswrapper does not like this.

The solution is to get a wifi card that is nativly supported or uses madwifi. You have to remember ndiswrapper is a "HACK" to use windows drivers. Most of the time this is because you have broadcom chipset and they all but refuse to make linux drivers. The kernel drivers for bcm4311 is just a variant of dsiwrapper as far as I can tell as it needs wthe windows drivers too.

Side Note: video cards with shared memory suck, whoever made this card for compaq should be informed of such.

if you are have mini pci express and need a new card, there do exist atheros cards, but they run 70 bux + shipping from hong kong.

That's my next step because My video doesnt crash, just ndiswrapper so Im inclined to believe that is more where the problem lies.
IceBerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-06, 06:41 PM   #15
IceBerg

On second thoguht I did an lspci and rememberd I have an nv chipset, it is possible the fault lies in the pci express bridge drivers. "C51 PCI Express Bridge (rev a2)"

it's the MCP51 set.

I'm not sure now where the problem lies, but I do know the video remains unaffected only the wifi dies.
Old 09-09-06, 01:23 PM   #16
chevrier

Sorry - but disagree. If it was a hardware conflict, then the same problem should occur under windows. It does not. Also, the problem did not appear until I significantly upgraded my ubuntu and installed the nvidia drivers.

Bottom line, this is definitely software related.

rgds,

thomas
Old 09-10-06, 12:06 AM   #17
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

As I noted, this is a kernel and/or BIOS bug. I don't believe anyone has stated that this is a hardware problem.

I should note that just becuse this problem doesn't exist in Windows does not mean that its a Linux driver bug. Windows manages resources completely differently than Linux.

The best course of action is to report this problem to the company that makes the motherboard.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-06, 03:31 PM   #18
chevrier

If this was a BIOS bug, then the same problem should occur under windows.

If windows can handle this, then it's possible to have a software solution. if it's a kernel bug, then maybe the kernel developers should be informed?

rgds,
Old 09-10-06, 04:31 PM   #19
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Windows & Linux do not use the SBIOS in the same fashion. There are alot of SBIOS bugs which will be OS specific.

Neither ndiswrapper nor the nvidia kernel module can control how the IRQs are managed in the OS. As I've stated earlier, this has to be corrected by the kernel or SBIOS.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 09-11-06, 12:42 AM   #20
IceBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
Windows & Linux do not use the SBIOS in the same fashion. There are alot of SBIOS bugs which will be OS specific.

Neither ndiswrapper nor the nvidia kernel module can control how the IRQs are managed in the OS. As I've stated earlier, this has to be corrected by the kernel or SBIOS.

Thanks,
Lonni
Since you have more knolege on this than I do I wondered if you could answer a few questions.

1) does the linux kernel control the IRQs of deviceds initialised after the OS is started, such as USB devices?

2) what actions would you suggest for companies that refuse to support linux in this fashion such as dell and hp/compaq.

I did some experimenting over teh weekend and used a few USB ethernet cards and they fail in the same way, but only if I sue anything other than console mode (x, vfb or any app that uses graphics harware for more than text). With the USB devices I do not get IRQ conflicts it simply resets teh device and fails.

I tried to contact HP/Compaq and when they try to transfer me to "someone who can answer that for you" I get disconnected EVERY time. After 7 attempts I gave up.

I am going to try to put an intel wifi card into the mini pcie slot and if that fails then I will probably return the laptop and get somethign that manufactured by IBM.

Old 09-11-06, 01:00 AM   #21
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

The kernel & the BIOS determine how & which IRQs are assigned to devices.

Both Dell & HP do provide Linux support, however it is for specific products (primarily their servers & workstations). I don't have any specific advice if the product(s) that you've purchased do not include Linux support, as that's a decision of the hardware vendor. I guess the best advice is to make sure that the hardware you're purchasing has Linux support prior to the purchase.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 09-11-06, 08:42 AM   #22
Mephisto1982

Send a message via ICQ to Mephisto1982

I don't know if you tried this already, but if it's a pci card, try changing slot. Motherboards usually assign different IRQs to different slots. I have an Asus mobo that had a lot of problems getting the BIOS to load with certain combinations of cards in certain slots, and it's almost impossible on that board to find a combination so all slots are filled, cause there's always some sort of conflict...
Mephisto1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-06, 01:49 PM   #23
chevrier

One more question - it works for a while the first time of the day when you boot. Why can't it be kept running? why does it have to disable the irq after a while only? why not immediately, if at all?
Old 09-11-06, 04:05 PM   #24
lnxtech

I have an HP dv2000z and have also had this problem with the ndiswrapper and nvidia, but only running on a 32bit OS. The wifi card is a broadcom 4310 (The PCI ID from lspci -n is 14E4:4312).

I've used the 32 bit version of Gentoo and Ubuntu and also the 64Bit version of Gentoo and Ubuntu and every time with the 32bit installs I would get this problem. One thing I noticed is that the 64bit driver that gets loaded by ndiswrapper is newer then the version used for the 32bit driver.

Version of drivers
64Bit: 4.40.19.0
32Bit: 4.10.40.1

I don't think that simply running a 64bit OS would actually fix it so my guess is that it has to be the driver version. I tried to load the latest broadcom driver on HP's website for my laptop on the 32bit install but doing a "modprobe ndiswrapper" complains that the driver is not 32bit (The download from HP contains both the 32bit and 64bit drivers). I've tried this both with ndiswapper 1.23 and 1.24rc3

Hope this might help shed some light on the problem
lnxtech is offline   Reply With Quote