Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-18-02, 10:00 PM   #13
shatteredhaven

Default tried suggested install routes...got error

Hi there,

I'm relatively new to Linux so if I've made any obvious errors, let me know!

I followed the instructions in the above posts on installing w/ rpms as well as with tarballs. When installing the correct rpms (according to NVchooser.sh) and altering the XF86Config-4 file, I am unable to boot up my machine. Instead I keep getting a flickering screen and then finally the message:

INIT "x" respawning too fast. Disabled for 5 minutes.

When I follow the instructions for installing the tarballs (as well as altering the XF86Config-4 file) I get the same message, except this time the screen doesn't flicker and I am able to log in via command line.

I am running RH 7.3 with all of the newest updates (Kernel 2.4.18.5). Please let me know if anyone else is having this problem or if I have done something wrong that I'm not seeing. ~Thanx
Old 08-19-02, 01:33 AM   #14
hepster

im having the same problems too
sys rundown:
Athlon XP 1800
Geforce 4 mx 440
512 ram
redhat 7.3
Kernel: 2.4.18-5

whenever i install teh drivers that NVchooser script told me to use NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2960.rh73up.athlon.rpm
NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-2960.i386.rpm

i edited the files like you said and i get the same errors .. your not alone bro ... neone have a clue how to solve ... 3 friends of mine having same errors
Old 08-19-02, 04:35 AM   #15
hepster

ahh also im currently running teh nvidia generic geforce 2 driver (the only one that will work) and everytime i try to play an mpeg the sound comes through but the image is a blue screen ... ??? help?
Old 08-19-02, 10:23 AM   #16
Error404

The least hassle way would IMHO probably be to use kernel 2.4.18-3 as Tbird mentioned above. As in in my case I've been trying kernel -5 for weeks w/o much of a progress. There was something wrong w/ loading GLX extensions, or at least that's what I understood.

In the end I just went on w/ a fresh installation and hadnt even bothered to recompile my kernel. Then installed the source nvidia files. I used the .src files as opposed to the ones suggested by NVchooser.sh.

What I had done may not pertain to your own circumstances. But maybe there's some ground in it for your next attempts
Old 08-20-02, 05:28 AM   #17
hepster

ive tried using teh -3 kernel but its still the same error ... almost killed windows trying to get this thing running ...... now that i try to compile from source code i get errors about it not being the compiled the same way as the compiler .. i set from some site i followed the instructions to ignore this (lost the site and the instructions now ) and i still get the error .. so im unable to do it that way ... y cant a linux hardware upgrade be as easy as that in windows ... least the wrong driver in windows doesnt cause your moniter to go crazy
Old 08-20-02, 08:58 AM   #18
Error404

Try not to compile your kernel. Just install the nvidia drivers, preferably the .src files.

Cheers
Old 08-20-02, 02:42 PM   #19
SSJTigger

Default Cannot make files

Hi, I am also running Red Hat 7.3 Kernel 2.4.18-5. I downloaded the tar files as posted previously, however I get an error message when I type 'make' for the NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2960.tar.gz.

Below is the error I receive.
cc -c -Wall -Wimplicit -Wreturn-type -Wswitch -Wformat -Wchar-subscripts -Wparentheses -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-qual -Wno-multichar -O -MD -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -D_LOOSE_KERNEL_NAMES -D_X86=1 -Di386=1 -DUNIX -DLINUX -DNV4_HW -DNTRM -DRM20 -D_GNU_SOURCE -DRM_HEAPMGR -D_LOOSE_KERNEL_NAMES -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DNV_MAJOR_VERSION=1 -DNV_MINOR_VERSION=0 -DNV_PATCHLEVEL=2960 -I. -I/usr/src/linux/include -Wno-cast-qual nv.c
In file included from /usr/include/linux/vmalloc.h:8,
from nv-linux.h:29,
from nv.c:27:
/usr/include/asm/pgtable.h:17:24: asm/fixmap.h: No such file or directory
In file included from nv-linux.h:53,
from nv.c:27:
/usr/include/linux/autoconf.h:1:2: #error Invalid kernel header included in userspace
In file included from nv.c:41:
/usr/include/linux/delay.h:13:23: asm/delay.h: No such file or directory
In file included from nv.c:42:
/usr/include/linux/interrupt.h:44:25: asm/hardirq.h: No such file or directory
/usr/include/linux/interrupt.h:45:25: asm/softirq.h: No such file or directory
nv.c:57:53: asm/uaccess.h: No such file or directory
nv.c:59:51: asm/softirq.h: No such file or directory
In file included from /usr/include/linux/highmem.h:5,
from nv.c:63:
/usr/include/asm/pgalloc.h:6:24: asm/fixmap.h: No such file or directory
make: *** [nv.o] Error 1

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-21-02, 02:00 AM   #20
Error404

Hi SSJTigger

I cant really say for sure probably you're missing some dependency packages needed to compile your nvidia drivers.

I'd make sure if gcc (cant recall its full name) is installed or not. Just type rpm -q gcc to see if its there. If not then try installing it first. You might run into some dependencies error when trying to install gcc. Fall back and install the required files first and then continue untill all missing/dependent files are installed.

As for the kernel header error, make sure you have the kernel-sources and glibc-kernheadersfor kernel version 2.4.18-5 installed. You'll need these both
(glibc-kernheaders is the new name for kernel-header file).

hope this gives you some ideas.

Cheers

Old 08-21-02, 02:17 PM   #21
SSJTigger

Default kernel headers

Thanks for the advice. Bear with me, I'm a newbie at Linux. I checked for the gcc package with the 'rpm -q gcc' and it said: 'gcc-2.96-112', which I assume means it is installed. For the kernel source and kernel header where can I find them. when I type 'rpm -q glibc-kernheaders' it tells me 'glibc-kernheaders-2.4-7.16', does that mean that the kernel header is for kernel 2.4-7?
Old 08-21-02, 05:18 PM   #22
Anthaus

Get the kernel-source from Redhat. you should find it in the same ftp folder where kernel-2.4.18-5 is located.
Don't worry about the architecture for the sources (i386, i586, i686, SMP, athlon) it should work regardless of your setup. Just make sure it is the same version as you kernel (2.4.18-5).

UPDATE: New kernel files at Redhat: 2.4.18-10 Don't forget to install the kernel-source as well.

http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2002-158.html

Last edited by Anthaus; 08-21-02 at 05:21 PM.
Anthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-02, 03:03 AM   #23
Error404

You'll find the files you'll probably be needing in that folder.
IF possible try downloading the gcc, glibc-kernheaders and kernel-source from there. These files combined may take more than just a couple of tens of MBs of your disk space but it helps if everything is there.

Cheers
Old 08-22-02, 10:24 AM   #24
SSJTigger

Default kernel headers

Hi, I cannot seem to find the kernel source and glibc-kernel header in ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub for 2.4.18-5. However, upgraded to 2.4.18-10 and installed the source thinking that may solve my problem. However, after the kernel upgrade I tried to uninstall and reinstall the nvidia drivers however when I try to uninstall NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2960.rh73up.i386.rpmiit tells me that it is not installed, yet when I try to install it, it tells me that it is already installed. So I'm a little not sure what to do. I attempted modifying XF86Config-4 again and now I get a different error, unable to initialize NVDriver. Is this because they are not there when it says they are or is there something else wrong?