Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-29-05, 05:31 PM   #13
Sgt_Pitt

Default Re: Everquest 2. Some thoughts. I'm still left wondering.

yeah its a great game and im finding im getting back into it, soloing has become easier for me, and im finding some nice loot, shame about the 6800 issues, but the word is that they are due to be fixed very soon.
Old 03-29-05, 11:40 PM   #14
Elderblaze

I think one of the problems with EQ1' solo game is everyone and their grandma has a level 70 toon and can goto the bazaar with 100k and twink the hell out of a new toon and out-solo even a "WOW" character pretty easily. Also it's highly dependant on class. Necros, Mages, Shamans for example can easily solo up to 55 with minimal downtime with only a small amount of twinking. For melee's all you gotta do is put a haste and a regen items and you can Power to 50 in 3 days. Fungi Tunic + Seahorse belt+good weaps, and a few other select regen items (Grimling contraption, darkwater peral ring) etc. If they made EQ's solo downtime less, + the twinking issues you'd have toons soloing to 50 in like a day. Also take into consideration boxed toons. I started a monk 4 days ago and he's already 32 because I just powered him with a lvl 36 shaman box on a friends account.

If your just starting out and you play a warrior I have no sympathy for you, warrior's are a known class that does not solo. If your just starting out you need to be a necro/mage/shaman get to level 70 (which will happen pretty quickly) and twink like everyone else.

All this said, There are going to be many changes made to the solo game and low level game coming up. Casters will be getting spells every level, and they are going to add some kind of healing potion. Also when you log out for more then an hour you come back full mana and health.

Regards,
Mike
Elderblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 11:57 PM   #15
ChrisRay

Quote:
They are working on pretty much eliminating "locked zones" as you put it. At least, as far as grouping requirements go. I gather there will still be some zones that you still have to complete a quest for, before you are able to access them. They are also adding many instanced zones for both soloers and groupers. The game is becoming more solo / duo friendly almost every week
So your saying zones like enchanted lands and wont be locked off from players? Meaning I wont have to wait till level 32 or kill some elite Double Up Arrow 32 creature at the end of god awful questr to go there?

*Edit* Either way Blizzard has ticked me off yet again. So no cookie for them. EQ 2 updates have looked very promising. I have been trying to follow EQ 2 for a while. And it looks like I am going to play EQ 2. Lets see what my system and EQ 2 can do "
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members

Last edited by ChrisRay; 03-30-05 at 01:18 AM.
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-05, 02:31 AM   #16
ChrisRay

Well performance is definately ok for me. I obviously cant play with shadows enabled but. I can get some decent quality/performance out of this game. I average 40-50 FPS at these settings with my dual geforce 6800 GTs. One strange thing is. Having a wide screen letterboxes causes my performance to half.. It may not be compatible with SLI? Started a newbie because I realised I wanted to play on a role play server.

|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
Old 03-30-05, 03:44 AM   #17
TheTaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRay
So your saying zones like enchanted lands and wont be locked off from players? Meaning I wont have to wait till level 32 or kill some elite Double Up Arrow 32 creature at the end of god awful questr to go there?
Like I said, I'm sure you still have to do a quest for certain zones... but... let me just post the patch notes of all the solo / duo enhancements since Jan 25th (After SOE Declared they would enhance solo / duo / casual play)... and you can make up your mind if they've done enough. Just know that there's a lot more coming, too.

January 26, 2005
- As described in this month's Producer's Letter, we have significantly increased experience gain for solo players and small groups of two and three members.

February 1, 2005
- First round of advanced solo encounters added for soloers and small groups!
- The Kleron Osana solo quest should now progress properly.
- A more challenging type of encounter is now available for soloers and small groups. This advanced solo content can be found in the Thundering Steppes, Nektulos Forest, and the Enchanted Lands. These solo encounters have an up arrow next to their name.
- Additional encounters have been added to the Commonlands and Nektulos Forest to support solo quests introduced in a previous update.

February 2, 2005
- The advanced solo/small group encounters introduced into Nektulos Forest, Thundering Steppes, and Enchanted Lands were more difficult than intended and have been adjusted. They should now present a reasonable challenge for well-equipped soloers and small groups of two or three players. Treasure drops have been adjusted accordingly. These encounters are indicated in the target window as solo, but can be distinguished from normal solo encounters by the NPC's name. For example, "an enraged dragoon soldier" would be more challenging than "a dragoon soldier."

February 3, 2005
- We have increased the XP awarded to groups of 1 to 3 players for defeating advanced solo/small group encounters.
- *** The amount of XP awarded to groups of 2 or more players for defeating normal solo encounters has been slightly reduced.
- This allows soloers and small groups taking on challenging encounters to be rewarded with more XP than they would have previously earned.
(*** Taznote: Before you think this is bad for Duos / Trios, look at Feb 4th's notes regarding more targets (and better exp))

February 4, 2005
- The blue/green range has been expanded for groups whose members are not all the same level. Depending on your group's level range, even in groups as small as two, you now have more targets to choose from. Some encounters that were grey will now be green or even blue.
- Since encounter con is based on the group's level, it is conceivable that an encounter may be grey to a player while solo, but turn green when they join a group with an average level that is lower than their own.

February 16, 2005
- You will now be able to choose whether you enter the solo or heroic versions of the instanced dungeons in Thundering Steppes, Orcish Wastes, and the Enchanted Lands.

March 8, 2005
- All solo and small group encounters in the following zones now have the chance to drop improved treasure: Antonica, the Commonlands, Nektulos Forest, Thundering Steppes, the Orcish Wastes, the Enchanted Lands, Rivervale, the Feerrott, Everfrost, and Lavastorm.
- It will be easier to collect sets of armor and accessories from certain types of creatures. A solo creature that drops a given armor type is likely to drop additional armor pieces of the same type. A creature that drops accessories is likely to drop more accessories.
- More loot! You will now see more items of various levels drop than ever before.
- There is now greater variety in the volume and type of loot that normal solo creatures and advanced solo/small group encounters will drop.
- Encounter drops are now separated by the high and low levels for each zone. For example, level 12 solo encounters in Antonica will drop level 10-14 appropriate gear, spells, and recipes. A level 16 solo encounter in Antonica will drop level 15-19 items.
- Progressive solo population has been added to the Enchanted Lands, the Orcish Wastes, and Thundering Steppes.
- Solo and small group experience has been increased again to further enhance the solo/small group game. Players over level 30 will especially notice an increase in solo and small group XP rewards.
- New Solo Instance: Valley of the Rogue Magi can be found in the Commonlands near Matthias Siegemaker. Encounter elementals, gargoyles, skeletons, zombies, and more foul creatures within.
- Skeletons on the Isle of Refuge should now be solo encounters, except for those in the graveyard itself.
- All solo encounters within A Pirate's Hidden Stash, The Rumbler Caves, and An Open Grave should now be of the correct difficulty.
- Advanced solo creatures in the Thundering Steppes will now be aggressive toward travelers.
- Players attempting to access Heroic or Solo zones from Thundering Steppes, the Orcish Wastes, or the Enchanted Lands should now be able to make the choice much easier.

March 21, 2005
- The roads in Nektulos Forest should be a bit safer to travel, and solo content should be more easily accessible.
- Certain camps of the Dervish Cutthroats are now more suitable for solo play.
TheTaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-05, 07:25 AM   #18
|MaguS|

My performance with the newest leaked drivers (76.41) gave me a huge performance boost in EQ2, I barely chop in a the cities now with shadows on.
Old 03-30-05, 07:36 AM   #19
ChrisRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbtmagus
My performance with the newest leaked drivers (76.41) gave me a huge performance boost in EQ2, I barely chop in a the cities now with shadows on.

At what resolution? Shadows arent possible for me in SLI @ 1600x1200 with 4xAA/16xAF. The game is playable for me but there are some occasions it dips into the Mid 20s.

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

Old 03-30-05, 08:39 AM   #20
|MaguS|

1280x1024, I use to play at 1600x1200 but rather have the bigger boost in performance then the slightly higher res, I already run at 2x/4x (lowered it because it didn't make the IQ look worse and ran smoother).

16x is really overkill for this game due to the LOD system, I would lower it to 8x.

Old 03-30-05, 09:17 AM   #21
ChrisRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbtmagus
1280x1024, I use to play at 1600x1200 but rather have the bigger boost in performance then the slightly higher res, I already run at 2x/4x (lowered it because it didn't make the IQ look worse and ran smoother).

16x is really overkill for this game due to the LOD system, I would lower it to 8x.

I lowered it to 8x and it did make a notable difference. Think I'll keep EQ 2's AF at 8x. The performance is acceptable in pretty much all places so far except the Beggars Court in freeport. But that area killed every configuration I have had so no surprise my new settings are not liking it much.

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

Old 03-30-05, 09:18 AM   #22
CaptNKILL
CUBE

I feel wierd when people talk about new MMORPGs... some of my friends got me hooked on Ultima Online and I think its awesome. Sure it still needs some work, but for the most part its an amazing game. I guess that happens when a game stays popular for 8 years

Anyone here play UO?

(sorry for the thread hijack!)
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-05, 09:39 AM   #23
|MaguS|

I use too, quit a year or two after EQ1 released. My friend tried to get me back into it again but I felt so lost.
Old 03-30-05, 09:43 AM   #24
Ghosthunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRay
Well performance is definately ok for me. I obviously cant play with shadows enabled but. I can get some decent quality/performance out of this game. I average 40-50 FPS at these settings with my dual geforce 6800 GTs. One strange thing is. Having a wide screen letterboxes causes my performance to half.. It may not be compatible with SLI? Started a newbie because I realised I wanted to play on a role play server.

I turned off shadows not only because of performance but IMO i think shadows does not look very good in EQ2 to begin with.

I also turn off all the foliage...it looks great but I do lots of harvesting and I need to see the nodes and mobs a lot easier especially when I am harvesting in everfrost at level 30
G.Skill 16 GB Ram DDR3-1600
EVGA GTX 680 SC
Crucial M4 128 GB SSD
2x Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint 7200 RPM SATA HD103SJ
WD SE16 7200 RPM SATA 640 GB
SAMSUNG 22X SATA DVD Burner
CORSAIR 750TX PSU
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B
Asus 25 inch VE258Q
Win7x64
Ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote