Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-07-02, 01:38 PM   #1
BrianzaMan
Dragon Flame

Default NvAGP doesn't work....WHY???

Hi, I have a problem with NVAGP.

When I try to start X with Nvidia AGP driver I can normally access in X, but in the logs appears :

(WW) NVIDIA(0): Failed to start AGP support

AGPGART is compiled as module and is not load when I try to start NVIDIA AGP.

I have this configuration :

MSI KT4 Ultra (KT400)
AMD Athlon XP 2400+
Creative (Made by MSI) 3d Blaster Geforce Ti200

Lastest Nvidia Drivers for Linux.

Why I can't load AGP??

Thanks

Bye
BrianzaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-02, 06:00 PM   #2
bwkaz

Your KT400 chipset isn't supported by NvAgp. I don't believe it even existed when this latest version of the driver came out (last September), which would make it slightly difficult to work with...

In any case, I believe you can get AGP support with agpgart, but you need a quite new kernel. I don't know if support has been backported to 2.4 at all, but I think there might be a driver written for the latest 2.5 kernel. Download it from kernel.org and see if you can find "kt400" in a grep -i -r (recursive case-insensitive grep) through the source directory. If you find something, check in 2.4.20 for the same thing as well (because the nVidia drivers don't work with 2.5 except with external patches, and I don't know if there are any patches for e.g. 2.5.50 yet).
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-02, 06:39 PM   #3
BrianzaMan
Dragon Flame

Quote:
Originally posted by bwkaz
Your KT400 chipset isn't supported by NvAgp. I don't believe it even existed when this latest version of the driver came out (last September), which would make it slightly difficult to work with...

In any case, I believe you can get AGP support with agpgart, but you need a quite new kernel. I don't know if support has been backported to 2.4 at all, but I think there might be a driver written for the latest 2.5 kernel. Download it from kernel.org and see if you can find "kt400" in a grep -i -r (recursive case-insensitive grep) through the source directory. If you find something, check in 2.4.20 for the same thing as well (because the nVidia drivers don't work with 2.5 except with external patches, and I don't know if there are any patches for e.g. 2.5.50 yet).
So is not yet supported.

AGPGART says that too but it work with try unsupported in Generic Mode.

Do you know if there is a patch for AGPGART?

Thanks

Bye
BrianzaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-02, 08:05 AM   #4
bwkaz

Well... if it works with agpgart with agp_try_unsupported=1, then why use nvagp?

On the other hand, someone has posted that new drivers will be released the 11th, so maybe that nvagp version will work with that chipset. You can always try it and see, I guess...

No, I don't think there are patches for agpgart, since it's part of the kernel. To change it, you'd probably just want to upgrade to a different newer kernel. But you can always do a www.google.com/linux search for e.g. agpgart patch kt400, and see what comes back. Maybe you'd find something.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-02, 11:07 PM   #5
epx

Default MTRR...

I had this problem as well, it was fixed by compiling in MTRR support as well. do a 'dmesg | grep WW' and see if there is any warnings about it.
epx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-03, 09:41 AM   #6
junkieclown
Helium Abuser

Location: Summers in Rangoon, but mostly in my evil underground lair and Volcano laboratory. though

Just before Kwanza , I was shopping for motherboards and trying to decide on general strategy, Kt333 v. Kt400. I chose to go with KT333 because of the better chance of agp support, etc. (I have had to build a custom kernel anyway to get a via82cxxx driver that doesn't corrupt the fs while enabling IDE drive DMA.)
In researching the question in the linux kernel mailing list, however, I definitely ran across mentions of patches submitted for the Kt400.

The best advice I could give is to search LKML for mentions of KT400 and AGP and VIA and so forth.

I can't say this for sure but I believe that if you get the latest stable kernel source and apply the latest AC patches, you will have agpgart support for KT400. Don't hold me to that. Check the mailing list and Alan's changelogs for yourself. It could be that there is some support but it's flakey. Maybe otoh, kt400 support is _not yet_ in Alan Cox's patches at all. I use 2.4.20-ac2 right now and my kt333 is "recognised" as a kt266 Pro wrt agp support. The misnomer might mean nothing -or maybe it's indicative of halfassed support.

Somebody definitely submitted something for KT400 though, I am sure of that, and that means it can be applied to some recent kernel.
junkieclown is offline   Reply With Quote