Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-04-05, 01:41 PM   #1
beebelo

Default What is best driver for older card: Riva TNT

I can't find Riva TNT listed in nVidia's supported hardware list for recent drivers.
What is the correct driver for my card and kernel, and will it be possible to get 3D and OpenGL working with this card on Linux? (I've tried 6629 and 7167.)

-Motherborad: Aopen AX6BC
-video card: STB Velocity 4400, 16MB (this is a Riva TNT from what I read)
-PIII Celeron 1.3 gHz
-SuSE 9.2 (kernel 2.6.??)

Thanks.
beebelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-05, 02:52 AM   #2
whig
550Ti

Default Re: What is best driver for older card: Riva TNT

The TNT2 card in my other machine goes with 7167 fine, must bump it up sometime. What are your error messages?
whig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-05, 11:57 AM   #3
beebelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by whig
The TNT2 card in my other machine goes with 7167 fine, must bump it up sometime. What are your error messages?
It was the "screens found but none that can be configured" messages in SuSE's SaX2 log, and Xorg log.

Yesterday (after I posted my question, of course) I discovered that the best help for problems is the README -- not the HOWTO. Being a newbie, I hadn't paid it enough attention because it was a bit confusing. I'm learning though.

Anyway, the README does in fact list Riva TNT; however the web site does not.

Thanks.
Old 04-13-05, 11:49 AM   #4
Bikerbob

OK, so now that you know that it is supported in more recent drivers. Did this help at all?

Do you have a driver running successfully?

I also am using a TNT2 Ultra and I have not had success getting it fully working in Suse or MEPIS.

Thanks
Bikerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-05, 12:13 PM   #5
beebelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerbob
OK, so now that you know that it is supported in more recent drivers. Did this help at all?

Do you have a driver running successfully?

I also am using a TNT2 Ultra and I have not had success getting it fully working in Suse or MEPIS.
Yes, the install instructions in the 7174 README worked fine. I now have a graphics system that is mostly working. Ha. The only problem is spontaneous roboots when doing certain things (like browsing the desktop screen savers.) I don't like the way it works though. When changing modes the monitor 'chunks' loudly, and that never happens in, I hate to say it, Windows.

The difference between you and me is you have a TNT2 and I have the original TNT. I dont' know the difference, but it seems like I read somewhere that TNT2 isn't supported. (Not sure, I wasn't paying much attention since it didn't apply...)