Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-07-05, 05:44 PM   #25
Elderblaze

Default Re: Everquest 2 high end system verses WoW high end system..

You dident read the whole thread, i don't play EQ2 or WOW and im not bashing one over the other. This is just a EQ2 bash in general that really has nothing to do with WOW. I play EQ1.

I guess I did compare them, this might give you the wrong impression. Gameplay wise they are both "good" games i supose, thought I don't care for the locked combat and trivial loot, that's a whole nother issue.

Regards,
Mike
Elderblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-05, 07:30 PM   #26
mczern

When I played EQ2 it ran fine on my machine, I could run it with 4xaa and 8xaf no problem even at release. The only time I ever saw my FPS drop was near the fighter/caster guild in FP the first week of release when there was easily 100+ people standing around, but once you turn down the ammount of high quality models there were it ran really great.
mczern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-05, 07:35 PM   #27
ChrisRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elderblaze
Server overhead, and whatnot should not be anymore CPU demanding then any other MMO guys, they all (MMO's) have heavy overhead when it comes to all the stuff egbtmagus mentioned. It's more likely that EQ2 has a ****ty T&L implementation and far to much geometry is being procesed on the CPU rather then GPU as it should be, they may have done this so it scales "Better" with slower video cards, but they dident do us high end folks any favors, thats for sure. And EQ1 ALWAYS ran better then EQ2. Im not expecting to run the game at max details and settings, never was. I can't get what I consider exceptable performance out of "Balenced" with water set to fast update and shadows off. For a long time in EQ1 I was forced to use the old models. But the game still ran well enough. When I first got EQ1 in 99 I was on a Celeron 300a @464 with a TNT1. The game performed great in comparison to EQ2 at the time. I dident start having problems until Kunark, at which point I got a Celeron 566@935 and a Voodoo 2. This also ran the game quite well up until Luclin when I got a 1.4 Ghz Thunderbird and Geforce 2. etc etc.. Your comparison is invalid, EQ'2s not doing somthing right, obviously when it comes to Geometry, it should not require the CPU load it does, somthing's not being offloaded like it should be.

Regards,
Mike
You really have no understanding of how MMORPGs are programmed do you?? WoW does the exact same thing that EQ 2 does when it comes to rendering polygons. For the longest time WoW engine synced its texturing with the CPU as well. Everquest 1 did the exact same thing until last year as well. They finally implemented true geometry assist with the DX 9.0 update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09
Only for powergamers. Casual players enjoy the fact that they are rewarded for their time investment. I can't imagine how anyone could enjoy a game that they put over a hundred hours into and have only reached level 10, but maybe that's just me.

This is not how EQ 2 is at all. There are level 50's in EQ 2 as well as level 60's in WoW. There are actually plenty of them as well. EQ 2's level 20's are comparable to WoW higher level 30's and the 40's are comparable to low 30's high 20's on EQ 2.

I have been playing EQ 2 a whole week and I started over a new server. I am a already a level 21 monk and I only have played 3-4 hours a day. Thats also including a a reroll of a charactor at level 13 because I was un satisfied with the charactor customization. As a matter of fact. Everquest 2 vitality system is far more forgiving than WoW's rest system. 9 hours offline will give you 50% level vitality. This is because EQ 2's vitality system just gives you double experience to a certain point in your level. WoW's rest system gives you a percentage of rest experience based upon your current level. So It actually makes sense to play different toons and build up vitality in EQ 2 verses WoW.

Neither of these games are problem free. And they both have some problems which can really hinder your enjoyment of the game.
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members

Last edited by ChrisRay; 04-07-05 at 07:50 PM.
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-05, 08:14 PM   #28
Elderblaze

Chris, please don't insult my inteligence, im sure you sir, have a degree in computer science eh? This is the end of my response to this thread. We will have to respectfully agree to disagree. But keep this in mind, when Vanguard comes out with 2x the performance looking better, i'll grin and say "Told you so". Unreal> EQ2 crap tech.

Regards,
Mike
Elderblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-05, 08:24 PM   #29
ChrisRay

I dont need a technical degree in science to understand what I am talking about. You havent offered any rebuttal other than. "OMG EQ IS TEH SUCK" which really doesnt leave you a leg to walk on. Half the comments you utter are issues which "I" discovered and posted here and over at the EQ 2 forums. Then you twists those discoveries around to a completely false and inaccurate portrayal of the situation. I have gone out of my way to help people with the EQ 2 engine in the past. I have been in contact with some key elements regarding the game and I have a pretty good understanding of when and how this game is limited.
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
Old 04-08-05, 05:16 AM   #30
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elderblaze
Chris, please don't insult my inteligence, im sure you sir, have a degree in computer science eh? This is the end of my response to this thread. We will have to respectfully agree to disagree. But keep this in mind, when Vanguard comes out with 2x the performance looking better, i'll grin and say "Told you so". Unreal> EQ2 crap tech.

Regards,
Mike
I have a BA in CS...
Old 04-08-05, 12:35 PM   #31
pingu2

I have a PhD in EQ!
pingu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-05, 01:45 PM   #32
Sgt_Pitt

im actually glad 1.5 million people are over at WoW, thats 1.5 million less tards to deal with in Eq2

Old 04-11-05, 07:58 AM   #33
Tyr-Sog
goS-ryT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Pitt
im actually glad 1.5 million people are over at WoW, thats 1.5 million less tards to deal with in Eq2

oh and trust me, "tards" is actually a complement.
Old 04-11-05, 09:25 AM   #34
ChrisRay

It just depends the servers you play on IMO. I played on a role play server in WoW and now am playing on a RP server in EQ 2 again. IMO it vastly improves the quality of players. I am actually moving my SK and Defiler over to a RP server on EQ 2 very soon.

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

Old 07-17-05, 10:36 PM   #35
Severian126
Y SO SRS?

I'm currently playing both WoW and EQ2 and both games are pretty good. I've been on WoW since it's release and have a few high lvled characters to sate my pvp cravings. I just picked up EQ 2 days ago and am trying it out. Currently I'm a lvl 4 High Elven mage who has repeatedly gotten his ass kicked in the Isle of Refuge a few gazillion times. Anyway, I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents on this whole WoW vs. EQ 2 frome a *technical standpoint*. Understand I have very little knowledge of computer programming and the intricacies of the technicale workings of MMORPGs. I love both games, but from what I see, EQ 2's graphics, while good, does not justify the insane system specs required to enjoy this game in all its glory. I love the game, but I find it amusing when I looked in my box again and pulled out an ad sheet saying how the game is better played with NVIDIA cards. From what I read in this thread, this seems like an outright lie as the performance I'm getting off my 6800 Ultra (on a P4 3.4 with 2 Ghz of ram) is pretty dismal at best and comparable to my older PC running a 9800 pro.

I see some of you defending this game from a gameplay standpoint, and that's cool, because I'm in that boat as well. I like the game (for all 2 days I've been playing it off and on), but it's pretty annoying that I have to work really hard to adjust the game's graphic to have a decent frame-rate. So far, the game is a walking slide-show and it's a shame, because the game does have some beautiful graphics. From what I see, I think Sony did a pretty poor job when designing this game (and that's an opinion of someone who has a Masters in the field of Finance rather rather than a computer science degree, so it probably doesn't account for much...). Sure, the game is very CPU bound, but like I mentioned before, it's a shame that the graphics, although pretty, does not justify the amount of money required in the future to get some decent performance. And to top it off, Sony should not advertise that the game will run better on NVIDIA based card. It sure doesn't for me If this seems like a rag on EQ 2 as a whole, it's not - I'm just griping on how the developers went about creating the game's graphic engine, because all things considered, it isn't very inefficient. At least make the game much prettier and more colorful if the system requirement is going to be *that* steep. I know some of you have the advantage over others in terms of PC prowess, but understand that many who playes these games do not. WoW ay not be as graphically intensive (though it does look better overall, in my opinion, because of the insance art style and use of color), but it "clicks" with many people I guess. It's just sad that a few people might be turned off by EQ due to its technical demands, and it's not fair as EQ is a very good game (case in point: I've already tried getting some of my buddies on, but they don't have the rig for it, and even if they do get the game, the settings they will have to play at will make the game FAR worse than any other MMORPG out there). EQ just demands way too much from a technical standpoint - and buying said company's video card doesn't sate that demand.

OK, I just wanted to vent some frustration I'm having with this game's performance. I'm going back to playing the game in the setting below the defualt "Balanced" (forgot the name, heh) and try to turn my mage into something respectable. :P

Hopefully Sony will implement a patch to fix all this. *crosses fingers* I'm tired of playing with no shadows and no foliage.
Severian126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-05, 05:59 AM   #36
gameangel91

From the following site and statistic showed,you may tell which game is popular among players.
http://www.alexa.com/data/details/tr...ww.mmosite.com
gameangel91 is offline   Reply With Quote