Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-08-02, 10:50 AM   #1
dustpuppy

Unhappy Debian 3

hi all,
i've got Debian 3.0 installed with my own kernel 2.4.17. i installed the sources of the nvidia drivers
and it worked well. one day X crashed immediately and i couldn't restart it. it was a problem concerning the NVidia kernel driver. i had to set the X video driver to 'nv' to have it working again. but of course there's no opengl boost now. i tried to reinstall the drivers but the compilation fails because of the /lib/modules/2.4.17/video/NVdriver. i didn't understand this really. could anybody help me ?

thx
dustpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-02, 06:35 PM   #2
Noth

Gonna need a little bit more info, like maybe what errors you get that tell you the compilation fails?
Noth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-02, 09:55 AM   #3
dustpuppy

Exclamation infos

The Errormessage:
/NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123# make install

ld -r -o NVdriver Module-linux Module-nvkernel
size NVdriver
text data bss dec hex filename
893792 55476 52396 1001664 f48c0 NVdriver
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.17/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver
make: *** [package-install] Error 1
Old 12-09-02, 11:46 AM   #4
bwkaz

Unresolved symbols happen when your kernel-source (or in Debian, I think kernel-headers) package doesn't match the kernel that you're trying to insert the driver into. If you're running a custom kernel, compiled yourself, then there shouldn't be problems, though... does a manual modprobe NVdriver work (I wouldn't think so, but you never know...)? Also, what were the include directories in the part of the "make install" that you left out of that error? If needed, you can "make clean" and then "make install" again, to see them. Post one of the lines that starts with "cc" -- it might be that the Makefile is using the wrong kernel include directory (like /usr/include/linux, for example).
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-02, 05:28 PM   #5
Noth

bwkaz is right in that the kernel source installed needs to match the running kernel, I always compile a custom kernel so I'm not sure if any steps are necessary after installing the kernel-source-<version> package.

Post all the output from 'make' so we can have a better idea what's going wrong. Most like the source and config for the kernel source you have installed doesn't match the running kernel.

Also post the output of 'depmod -e'which should say which symbols it's having problems with.
Noth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-02, 01:44 PM   #6
dustpuppy

it's my custom 2.4.17....

depmod -e

depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.17/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver
depmod: _mmx_memcpy

this is all the output :

echo \#define NV_COMPILER \"`cc -v 2>&1 | tail -1`\" > nv_compiler.h
cc -c -Wall -Wimplicit -Wreturn-type -Wswitch -Wformat -Wchar-subscripts -Wparen theses -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-qual -Wno-multichar -O -MD -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -D_LOOSE_KERNEL_NAMES -DNTRM -D_GNU_SOURCE -DRM_HEAPMGR -D_LOOSE_KERNEL_NAMES -D __KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DNV_MAJOR_VERSION=1 -DNV_MINOR_VERSION=0 -DNV_PATCHLEVEL=3 123 -DNV_UNIX -DNV_LINUX -DNVCPU_X86 -I. -I/usr/src/linux/include -Wn o-cast-qual nv.c
cc -c -Wall -Wimplicit -Wreturn-type -Wswitch -Wformat -Wchar-subscripts -Wparen theses -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-qual -Wno-multichar -O -MD -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -D_LOOSE_KERNEL_NAMES -DNTRM -D_GNU_SOURCE -DRM_HEAPMGR -D_LOOSE_KERNEL_NAMES -D __KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DNV_MAJOR_VERSION=1 -DNV_MINOR_VERSION=0 -DNV_PATCHLEVEL=3 123 -DNV_UNIX -DNV_LINUX -DNVCPU_X86 -I. -I/usr/src/linux/include -Wn o-cast-qual os-interface.c
os-interface.c:958: warning: `wb_list' defined but not used
cc -c -Wall -Wimplicit -Wreturn-type -Wswitch -Wformat -Wchar-subscripts -Wparen theses -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-qual -Wno-multichar -O -MD -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -D_LOOSE_KERNEL_NAMES -DNTRM -D_GNU_SOURCE -DRM_HEAPMGR -D_LOOSE_KERNEL_NAMES -D __KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DNV_MAJOR_VERSION=1 -DNV_MINOR_VERSION=0 -DNV_PATCHLEVEL=3 123 -DNV_UNIX -DNV_LINUX -DNVCPU_X86 -I. -I/usr/src/linux/include -Wn o-cast-qual
os-registry.c
ld -r -o Module-linux nv.o os-interface.o os-registry.o
ld -r -o NVdriver Module-linux Module-nvkernel
size NVdriver
text data bss dec hex filename
893792 55476 52396 1001664 f48c0 NVdriver
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.17/kernel/drivers/video/NVdri ver
make: *** [package-install] Error 1
Old 12-10-02, 02:42 PM   #7
bwkaz

Quote:
-I/usr/src/linux/include
Are you absolutely sure that the kernel source in this directory (usually, /usr/src/linux is a symlink to the running kernel, at least I think that should be the case) is 2.4.17, and has been configured (with e.g. menuconfig, oldconfig, xconfig, etc.) the exact same way as the custom kernel you are running?

It sounds like the sources are configured for a processor that supports MMX, but the running kernel doesn't. Or something like that.

If you know where the 2.4.17 kernel sources will be staying, permanently (on my system, that's something like /usr/src/linux-2.4.17, but it depends on where you decide to put it), you can create a /lib/modules/2.4.17/build symlink that points to the root of that directory tree. As long as that symlink exists, the NVIDIA_kernel Makefile will use it for the include directory instead of /usr/src/linux/include (which can, once in a while, be wrong).

Fro example, if I still ran 2.4.17, I'd do an ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.4.17 /lib/modules/2.4.17/build, since /usr/src/linux-2.4.17 is the permanent home of that kernel.

Then do a make clean and make, from the NVIDIA_kernel directory.

Also, FYI, the _mmx_memcpy function is defined in one source file that I can see -- arch/i386/lib/mmx.c in the kernel source. The Makefile in arch/i386/lib specifies that mmx.c gets built whenever CONFIG_X86_USE_3DNOW is set in the .config file. So, it looks like the nVidia driver either sees CONFIG_X86_USE_3DNOW set now but it wasn't when you built the kernel you're running, or it just bypasses that check (which sounds like a bug that many, many people would have reported by now... still possible, but unlikely). So look in the .config file in /usr/src/linux for CONFIG_X86_USE_3DNOW, and disable it if it's enabled (set it to n if it's y). Then, hopefully, you won't need to be able to resolve that _mmx_memcpy symbol, because the drivers won't call it.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote