Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-11-05, 12:24 PM   #1
FraGTastiK
'

Default CoD2 info

Activision had a new announcement with some new info,in case you missed it:
Quote:
ACTIVISION'S INFINITY WARD IN DEVELOPMENT ON CALL OF DUTY 2

Santa Monica, CA - April 7, 2005 - Attention soldiers! Activision, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI) and acclaimed developer Infinity Ward are back in action with Call of Duty 2(tm), an all new epic title which delivers an unparalleled portrayal of the chaos and intensity that was World War II. The sequel to the award-winning Call of Duty(tm), Call of Duty 2 is powered by a proprietary new engine featuring striking new visuals, advanced A.I. technology, the most realistic squad combat and explosive action in new historic campaigns. The title is scheduled for release this fall and is not yet rated by the ESRB.

Call of Duty 2 lets players experience four individual soldier stories as they overcome insurmountable odds in multiple campaigns. Players have the freedom to follow each of the four storylines through for the ultimate character-driven experience, or they can engage in the historic battles chronologically for quick hitting action.

Infinity Ward, creator of the blockbuster, original Call of Duty, has also expanded the scope of combat to deliver a truly realistic battlefield experience. Squads now have the freedom to take on a variety of mission objectives, on expansive battlefields that allow for multiple paths and the ability to utilize actual combat tactics like outflanking and fire and maneuver capabilities.

Call of Duty 2's new engine and A.I. technology set the stage for authentic squad combat and astonishing action. Concealment can be key as battlefield smoke or even deployed smoke grenades cloud visibility. Weather effects such as the dusty sandstorms of North Africa and whiteout blizzard conditions of Russia, for example, will keep soldiers glued to their bunkers. The team has also employed a state-of-the-art Battle Chatter System that brings the action to life as squad-mates bark out context-sensitive updates in real-time to players through an advanced A.I. system.

"Our team at Infinity Ward is committed to thrusting gamers into the heat of battle like no other, taking players on a thrill-ride of adrenaline that leaves everyone gasping for air," states Grant Collier, president, Infinity Ward. "In Call of Duty 2, we are creating the most intense and realistic action game imaginable with a stunning visual atmosphere and an advanced technology that delivers an unprecedented level of authenticity."
some unofficial shots too(good to be true?).Not a WYSIWYG material I'd say considering them not being an official release:

Link
Link
Link

Link

It seems that the screenshots are getting disappeared from the websites I've visited yesterday.something to do with them being unofficial?Perhaps the same happens here,I have no idea.

Last edited by FraGTastiK; 04-11-05 at 02:05 PM. Reason: typo
FraGTastiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-05, 12:28 PM   #2
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Default Re: CoD2 info

Some of those shots were in the pcgamer preview... looking good
Old 04-11-05, 12:57 PM   #3
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

IS CoD2 using the same engine? It doesn't look improved at all to me.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-05, 01:11 PM   #4
jolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm
Sais its their own engine, so no its not the same..
Original CoD used Quake3 engine I think..
Old 04-11-05, 01:21 PM   #5
Mr_LoL
Bush's Doppleganger

cant wait.
Core i5 2500K@ 4.5, KFA2 GTX 570, Gigabyte Z68, 8GB Corsair XMS 1600MHZ, Antec Truepower New 650w, Coolermaster Storm Sniper, 1TB Samsung F1, Yamakasi Catleap 27", Samsung 245B, Asus Xonar DG...blah blah blah
Mr_LoL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-05, 01:29 PM   #6
|MaguS|

Please give it coop... Im dying for a coop WW2 game...
Old 04-11-05, 01:41 PM   #7
FraGTastiK
'

Quote:
action to life as squad-mates bark out context-sensitive updates in real-time to players through an advanced A.I. system
So theres no ordering around your squad.Just A.I squad mates giving out enemy locations,movements,sightings.

I was expecting controllable squad .

Last edited by FraGTastiK; 04-11-05 at 01:45 PM. Reason: tags
FraGTastiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-05, 02:01 PM   #8
vX

Looks like the same old, low res textures, but with more detailed/advanced lighting on all of it. =/
vX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-05, 02:31 PM   #10
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm
I see self-shadowing on the characters, specular mapping (on the helmets) and possibly bump-mapping too. Anyway, it was the game-play that made CoD not the graphics. For pretty graphics play Farcry, for a "AHHH SH*T THE GERMANS ARE ALL AROUND US, SWARMS OF THEM, AHHH ALL MY COMRADES ARE DYING BY THE THOUSANDS, ARTILLARY, TANKS, MACHINE GUN FIRE EVERYWHERE, PICK UP THAT GUN WE ARE RETAKING RED SQUARE! FOR MOTHER RUSSIA!!!!! CHAAARRRRRRGE!!!!" game, play CoD

Core2 Q9400 @ 3.0, eVGA GTX 260, 4G DDR 800, Vista64
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-05, 02:37 PM   #11
Vagrant Zero
I'm a Back Door Man

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant Zero

Meh, they should have used the D3 engine.
Vagrant Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-05, 02:56 PM   #12
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Zero
Meh, they should have used the D3 engine.
Honestly, Im glad they didn't. It would probably have lowered the amount of characters available on screen at once. Main draw about COD is being swarmed by Nazis... not fighting 5 or 6 like in BIA. Doom 3 engine in its current form with the current hardware can't create a playable game with that much going on at once...

Heck, They would have lower res'd textures if they were using the Doom 3 engine... I mean Doom 3 didn't have that good of textures... plus the models in thier engine look better then Doom 3's.