Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-17-05, 03:35 PM   #61
thecrazykevy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Southern Cali
Posts: 76
Default Re: Doom 3 quality mod (3rd party) for NV4x and NV3x

Wow it is awesome.
thecrazykevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-05, 03:50 PM   #62
vX
 
vX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 508
Default Re: Doom 3 quality mod (3rd party) for NV4x and NV3x

i'm going to give it a try right now, looks impressive, I apologize for my ignorant comments previously written, you took alot of time, hard work and dedication to make this and it is appreciated, thank you tertsi!
vX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-05, 05:04 PM   #63
tertsi
www.fornvidiots.net
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 340
Default Re: Doom 3 quality mod (3rd party) for NV4x and NV3x

More offset mapping screenshots from Doom 3 scene ....

http://www.skenegroup.net/tertsi/doo..._vs_mod11.html
http://www.skenegroup.net/tertsi/doo..._vs_mod12.html
tertsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-05, 05:35 PM   #64
Burnt_Ram
Registered User
 
Burnt_Ram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Kelowna, B.C.
Posts: 2,092
Default Re: Doom 3 quality mod (3rd party) for NV4x and NV3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by tertsi
looks GREAT Tertsi ! it's like you've turned on HDR ?
Burnt_Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-05, 05:47 PM   #65
|MaguS|
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Doom 3 quality mod (3rd party) for NV4x and NV3x

No its nothing like HDR...
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-05, 05:53 PM   #66
Burnt_Ram
Registered User
 
Burnt_Ram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Kelowna, B.C.
Posts: 2,092
Default Re: Doom 3 quality mod (3rd party) for NV4x and NV3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbtmagus
No its nothing like HDR...
care to explain ? it sure looks HDR'ish to me. using FarCry in HDR as a basis. (Brighter/Shinier)
Burnt_Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-05, 06:24 PM   #67
ninelven
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 132
Default Re: Doom 3 quality mod (3rd party) for NV4x and NV3x

Looks like it could use a bit more tweaking or AA but very impressive nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt_Ram
care to explain ? it sure looks HDR'ish to me. using FarCry in HDR as a basis.
My limited understanding of the subject is that OM simulates lighting as if the geometry actually existed (or rather gives that effect). I may be way off-base here. HDR primarily benefits range/accuracy. I'm sure someone else can give you a better answer though.
ninelven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-05, 06:55 PM   #68
tertsi
www.fornvidiots.net
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 340
Default Re: Doom 3 quality mod (3rd party) for NV4x and NV3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninelven
Looks like it could use a bit more tweaking or AA but very impressive nonetheless.

My limited understanding of the subject is that OM simulates lighting as if the geometry actually existed (or rather gives that effect). I may be way off-base here. HDR primarily benefits range/accuracy. I'm sure someone else can give you a better answer though.
Shortly...

Offset mapping (aka parallax mapping or per-pixel displacement mapping) is technique where height map is used to offset the texture coordinates used to fetch from the diffuse and normal maps to produce the illusion of more depth in the bumps.

Some performance numbers (6800u, 1280x1024 + AA 4x/AF 8x + HQ, All maxed in Doom 3 - timedemo demo1) ....

w/o mod = 63fps
w mod + ultra quality specular + offset mapping = 50fps
tertsi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-05, 10:08 PM   #69
Burnt_Ram
Registered User
 
Burnt_Ram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Kelowna, B.C.
Posts: 2,092
Default Re: Doom 3 quality mod (3rd party) for NV4x and NV3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by tertsi
Shortly...

Offset mapping (aka parallax mapping or per-pixel displacement mapping) is technique where height map is used to offset the texture coordinates used to fetch from the diffuse and normal maps to produce the illusion of more depth in the bumps.

Some performance numbers (6800u, 1280x1024 + AA 4x/AF 8x + HQ, All maxed in Doom 3 - timedemo demo1) ....

w/o mod = 63fps
w mod + ultra quality specular + offset mapping = 50fps
hmm, i never checked the fps, but it ran perfectly smooth before and still does ... might be i dont notice the fps drop because i have a high end machine ?
Burnt_Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-05, 11:07 PM   #70
Edge
3d animator for hire!
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 3,564
Default Re: Doom 3 quality mod (3rd party) for NV4x and NV3x

Very nice, it's like you've made the ultimate Doom 3 graphical enhancement mod! Is the Parallox/Offset mapping you're using going to be better than the Parallox mod that's already out there? I tried it a while ago but it caused some very bad graphic annomalies for me.

It's amazing how much better Doom 3 looks with only tweaks to the rendering engine...just think of how much better it could look with high-res textures and more detailed models!
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-05, 11:18 PM   #71
Burnt_Ram
Registered User
 
Burnt_Ram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Kelowna, B.C.
Posts: 2,092
Default Re: Doom 3 quality mod (3rd party) for NV4x and NV3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Very nice, it's like you've made the ultimate Doom 3 graphical enhancement mod! Is the Parallox/Offset mapping you're using going to be better than the Parallox mod that's already out there? I tried it a while ago but it caused some very bad graphic annomalies for me.

It's amazing how much better Doom 3 looks with only tweaks to the rendering engine...just think of how much better it could look with high-res textures and more detailed models!
sad thing is. why didnt the makers of doom3 implement this ? i don't have a performance impact ! so why didnt the creators make it look the best it could ! things that make you HMMM
Burnt_Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-05, 11:41 PM   #72
holmes
Registered User
 
holmes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 692
Default Re: Doom 3 quality mod (3rd party) for NV4x and NV3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt_Ram
sad thing is. why didnt the makers of doom3 implement this ? i don't have a performance impact ! so why didnt the creators make it look the best it could ! things that make you HMMM
To sell more games.. plain & simple. I don't blame them really. Although, at the time, Doom3 was the most amazing thing I'd seen on my monitor. It's nice to see that nearly a year later it continues to dazzle with RoE and this nice little mod...
__________________

The Rig
ASRock 970 Extreme3 AM3+
AMD Athlon II x2 260
DDR3-1600 (2x2GB) Kingston HyperX
Western Digital caviar 1TB
ECS GeForce GT 220 1GB
Cooler Master Storm Scout ATX case
Corsair 750W PSU
holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Valve to release its trailer-making tool: Source Filmmaker dikinher Gaming Central 2 06-28-12 01:28 PM
Doom 3 BFG Edition will feature entire Doom series, seven new Doom 3 levels News Archived News Items 0 05-31-12 06:40 AM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.