Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-05, 04:02 PM   #193
deadhamster

Default Re: Trying to make headway into finding the Xid crashes source...

From everything I have read, I really don't think we can get to the bottom of it. There is no consistency to the problem. Some people fix it by messing with AGP. Some by messing with gpu/mem clocks. Some by shutting off options in xorg. Some are just plain screwed. Personally, I don't think anyone has *fixed* it with any of those things. Just somehow got around it is all. With none of them working on any consistent basis, it's hard to believe any one of them is the real problem. Have the xorg people looked into this? If ATI owners have similar problems maybe its time to examine xorg/xfree. Is there a compatible alternative to those two that doesn't share a code base with them?

-DH
Old 05-26-05, 04:58 PM   #194
sir_tez

My AGPGART isn't functionally properly. I'll try to get it setup with udev later on tonight or tomorrow.
Old 05-27-05, 09:42 AM   #195
sir_tez

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_tez
My AGPGART isn't functionally properly. I'll try to get it setup with udev later on tonight or tomorrow.
Switched to AGPGART last night (it was loaded in the kernel but /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status said Disabled). Even so I was able to play a strong game of ut2004 for about 15 minutes before a hardlock.

Got udev working properly this morning and now AGPGART shows up in /proc... correctly. Shall do a few test runs before I resort back to disabling AGP.
Old 05-27-05, 12:46 PM   #196
kmare

Send a message via ICQ to kmare

I totally disabled agp support (option under Section "Device": Option "NvAGP" "0") and things seems to be pretty stable now.. not a single freeze... I've ran the following for a few mins and my system is still happily running: glxgears, glest, doom3-demo, foobillard and many opengl screensavers. So it could just be a problem with the agp.. I don't know... I'll report if I get a Xid error with the agp disabled..
(now running for 4 hours without problems.. a new record! )

edit: I have composite and render accell enabled...

Last edited by kmare; 05-27-05 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-27-05, 02:34 PM   #197
sir_tez

I can easily do the same thing but I don't get the full performance of my video card. This sucks for things like ut2004 and doom3 at full quality levels
Old 05-27-05, 04:49 PM   #198
Koradji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironi
It looks like it, yes! Has someone told zander about this important discovery?

Well, zander was reading the thread about when i posted it.
I doubt marketting can use the info effectively. While vegetarian option is good to have, no matter how you look at it the menu is full of bugs.

Tried xorg 6.8.99.8, with glxgears. It seemed to crash a lot faster, (under 10 seconds instead of about 30) get a higher framerate before doing so, and raise the temp faster. 13C in ~5 seconds.
Nice to see the card running closer to what i thought it's potential should be...

I forgot to ssh first, so while i could still ping, i couldn't shut down cleanly.

I also noted that nvidia setting's temperature polling takes a rather large amount of cpu. strange. ~25% set to 100ms, about 3% set to 1000ms. both are huge.

Last edited by Koradji; 05-27-05 at 04:51 PM. Reason: typos
Old 05-27-05, 05:00 PM   #199
Koradji

kmare:
seems like, higher performance --> much more crashes
if you use X's nv driver, you can get even more stability, perhaps as good as any driver can give.
if you remove the card it doesn't crash at all.
maybe marketing could use that one: "Dangerously fast performance, Ulimate nvidia stability" or something.

Last edited by Koradji; 05-27-05 at 05:01 PM. Reason: always i find typos
Old 05-28-05, 08:29 AM   #200
kmare

Send a message via ICQ to kmare

aaaaaaaaargh... after 20 hours of uptime in normal 2D operation, the system freezed again randomly even without agp support ... but at least I've been able to play 3d apps/games for hours without freezes... with agp support (nvagp or agpgart) running a 3d app would mean freeze after a few mins..

Old 05-28-05, 09:45 AM   #201
gilboa
Linux addict...

Hello all,

I just lost my test case.
The machine in question crashed over night, burning 2 of the 4 DIMMs. I did manage to get it going again but one can't really use it for stability tests.
Anyways, just for the heck of it I installed Windows XP (12 reboots, I couted.) on what's left of the machine and tried running 3DMark 2005. While it didn't crash (or BSOD) I had severe artifacts problem. (It didn't even manage to run dxdiag with artifacts.)
When I switched the device back to my old GF4Ti, the machine managed to loop 3D Mark 2003 for hours without a problem.

In short, due to the burn-out, I can't be sure that it was indeed a hardware configuration problem that caused my grief (AMD 762MP + FX6600GT), but it is the only logical assumption.

P.S. The card in question is working just fine now on a single CPU machine running FC3/XP.

Hopefully my new dual Opteron will work out of the box
LAP: ASUS N56VJ, i7-3630QM, 16GB, 1TB, 635M, F19/x86_64.
Old 05-28-05, 01:32 PM   #202
LubosD

Send a message via ICQ to LubosD

gilboa: Get some Half Life 2 and play it. I had severe crashes in some missions (driver in infinite loop). Maybe you'll get the same problems.

I don't think that your nvidia instability was caused by faulty RAM modules. I have permanent 97% memory usage (disk caching) and it crashes only in games.
Mem failure would AFAIK cause Kernel Panic and not a Xid.
Old 05-28-05, 04:58 PM   #203
xenofon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilboa
Anyways, just for the heck of it I installed Windows XP (12 reboots, I couted.) on what's left of the machine and tried running 3DMark 2005. While it didn't crash (or BSOD) I had severe artifacts problem. (It didn't even manage to run dxdiag with artifacts.)

Hopefully my new dual Opteron will work out of the box
Hello,
As I mentioned in a previous post in this thread, I had experienced artifacts too untill I switched my stock heatsink for a Zalman VF700-Cu. Apparently, it is really easy to upset the balance of the heatsink on 6600 AGPś due to the way they are mounted; hence, the heat problems which result in artifacts. At the very least, check your heatsink makes proper contact, or replace it as I have done.
By the way, I seem to be running without so many crashes any more after changing the heatsink. I experience most of the crashes when I am running mozilla. I still get Xid errors when running UT2004, Racer etc, but no crashes so far from these games.

Good luck with the Opteron system!
Old 05-29-05, 02:54 AM   #204
gilboa
Linux addict...

Quote:
Hello,
As I mentioned in a previous post in this thread, I had experienced artifacts too untill I switched my stock heatsink for a Zalman VF700-Cu. Apparently, it is really easy to upset the balance of the heatsink on 6600 AGPś due to the way they are mounted; hence, the heat problems which result in artifacts. At the very least, check your heatsink makes proper contact, or replace it as I have done.
By the way, I seem to be running without so many crashes any more after changing the heatsink. I experience most of the crashes when I am running mozilla. I still get Xid errors when running UT2004, Racer etc, but no crashes so far from these games.
I doubt it.
I moved the card to a second, newer (nForce2/400) single CPU machine (that runs Windows XP and FC3) and the card worked just fine.
No artifacts (Windows). no Xids (Linux.)

Cheers,
LAP: ASUS N56VJ, i7-3630QM, 16GB, 1TB, 635M, F19/x86_64.
Closed Thread