Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-17-05, 11:00 PM   #13
OWA

Default Re: Doom 3 artifacting in a specific place only

Doesn't the free version of fraps let you make short videos? Maybe you could use that to capture the white dots although I think it's pretty clear from your description.

Also, I don't think it is a nforce2 thing. My current nforce3 board is a fairly recent addition for me. I originally played Doom 3 with a ASUS A7N8X nforce2 board (with a XP 3200+) and I might have been using a 6800 GT at the time as well. D3 is one of my favorite games and I've played it a lot just to look at the graphics. I'm pretty sure I never saw any white dots when playing even when I had the nforce2 board.

It does sound like a "hot memory" problem but since your systems aren't running hot and since you have the same issue with two systems, that doesn't seem likely. I do remember JC saying that D3 would stress the cards more than most games (i.e. use paths that hadn't previously been stressed much) so you might not be able to overclock when running D3 but it's still strange you're getting the same issue with two different cards. Have you tried underclocking them just for the heck of it to see how that goes?
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-05, 11:19 PM   #14
Acid Rain
What a sweet little...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWA
Have you tried underclocking them just for the heck of it to see how that goes?
Absolutely. I underclocked my FSB to 100 (from the default 166) and underclocked the already very cool running 5900 to 100 CORE (from the default 450 ) and 350 on the ram. Seriously low clocks, here. I then ran the game at "low quality/640x480" and still had the dots. Turned off all effects...no dots. Turned on shadows=DOTS. And only when the door is open, or I when am in the room with the swinging light. When in the room with the moving light, dots appear on the doors as it moves by.
RAM: 4GB KHX6400D2LLK2
3D Porkware: Radeon HD 4890
Aux Equipment: Phase-B Nanocycloptics
Acid Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-05, 11:39 PM   #15
OWA

Sorry for asking something you already answered. I was just re-reading your posts and see you already answered the underclocking question.

Are you using any Doom 3 tweaks? When I initially played D3, I didn't use many (if any) tweaks to the config files or whatever. I am currently using tertsi's D3 mod though. I guess that one's difference unless you're using that now also.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-05, 01:13 AM   #16
Acid Rain
What a sweet little...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWA
Sorry for asking something you already answered. I was just re-reading your posts and see you already answered the underclocking question.

Are you using any Doom 3 tweaks? When I initially played D3, I didn't use many (if any) tweaks to the config files or whatever. I am currently using tertsi's D3 mod though. I guess that one's difference unless you're using that now also.
No tweaks whatsoever. I made a movie, but even shorties are way to big for free hosting. Working on downsizing...
Old 04-18-05, 02:24 AM   #17
Kickus_assius
Defenestrator of the Weak

I get this from time to time in Doom3 as well and I have watercooling. I get the same thing in CSS and farcry occasionally, but it only seems to be with AA enabled in the 3 games. The artifacts always dissapear if you look anywhere else, there just seems to be a few problem areas. I think it's a driver issue. Since switching to the 71.89's I have noticed none of the white spots I was getting with the 66.93's.
Old 04-18-05, 05:32 AM   #18
Acid Rain
What a sweet little...

Thanks for the reply, Kickus. I was going to post a movie, but the free bandwidth will dissappear after 6 people view it, so, no go there. If I could get the size down to like, 500k or so, sure, but I can't seem to. But, I geuss there's really no need. I ran Doom 3 in a 1024x768 window while running my motherboard monitor and keeping the temperature monitor going for the graphics card. Artifacts were there, as always, but the system was remarkably stable and the voltage very consistent across all rails. The GT ran well under spec at 66c. Additionally, the cpu usage in this scene is only 56 to 70 percent. Hardly a heavy load.

Now to answer the display drivers question. In my case it is not the drivers at all, as I've installed the 61.77/66.93/67.03/67.66/and the 71.89s. All behaved the same, besides the markedly lower image quality of anything before the 67.66, and the crap performance/IQ combo of the 61.77. Interesting.

To top it all off, I ran the Prime95 Max heat test for 3 hours, and the Blend (almost all ram loaded) test for 3 hours as well, in addition to an hour of RTHDRIBL. All tests passed with flying colors as I monitored them closely.

Based on my extensive testing today, my systems are appear to be flawlessly stable. They never, ever crash outside of HL2, and even that's extremely rare.

Well, at the very least, I've ascertained that the top line in my sig is no joke.

Last edited by Shadowcast; 04-18-05 at 05:56 AM.