Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-17-05, 08:32 AM   #1
stepia

Default GeForce 6600 GT nv_vm_malloc problem freezes startx

I spent the weekend trying to install the nvidia drivers for a GeForce 6600 GT graphic card on a PIV with no luck.
The 7174 driver install successfully but as soon as I try to run startx the system hangs and I can only reboot it by pressing cntrl-alt-canc.
The older driver 6629 also install without any problem but startx fails with a lot of warning about unresolved symbols.
I tried with a CRT and a LCD screen. I tried to recompile the kernel with no DRI support and not integrated agpgart. I have tried both the kernel AGP driver and the NVIDIA AGP driver and no AGP driver at all but nothing changes. The only error which is consistently reported by the system is:
kernel: NVRM: nv_vm_malloc failed to lookup physical address

Which I do not know exactely what it means...
My linux version is Redhat enterprise 3. The kernel version is 2.4.21. Th XFree version is 4.3.
The PC is a PIV 3.2 Ghz with a gygabyte 8I848P motherboard, 1 GB RAM, a sparkle AGP graphic card with an Nvidia 6600 GT processor.

From what I see around I start to suspect that the nvidia drivers are not working very well for the 6600 family, in particular with redhat-fedora linux.

I attach the one of the many nvidia-bug-report log. Any help is very much appreciated.

Stefano
stepia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-05, 08:59 AM   #2
stepia

Default Re: GeForce 6600 GT nv_vm_malloc problem freezes startx

here is the nvidia bug log.

Stefano
Attached Files
File Type: txt bug-report.txt (61.2 KB, 182 views)
Old 04-18-05, 02:12 AM   #3
stepia

After fiddling around with the various options I solved the problem by downgrading to the 6629 driver and recompiling the kernel with the "kernel debug" option turned off.
the x server now starts, seems to be stable and the 3D hardware acceleration works. Hope this will help somebody with the same problem.

Stefano
Old 04-18-05, 03:10 AM   #4
hamsta

What a bummer. 6629 does not work with newer kernels :-(

Thanks a lot for the hint anyway.

Still hoping, nvidia will fix this damn problem very fast...

CU

hamsta
hamsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-05, 07:46 PM   #5
stepia

Well, maybe disabling the "kernel debug" option works for the newer driver too. Simply I haven't tried because I am happy that everything works with the 6629 and I do not want to mess things around.
A few more things: before recompiling the kernel I disabled the "DRI support" and "clustered ACPI" options too, moreover I set the assignment of the PCI interrupts from the default "Any" to "Bios". However, with these configurations, startx was still hanging up the system; although now the error had changed to: "kernel BUG error in header file line 56" or something similar. At this stage I turned the "kernel debug" to off and everything started working fine. The machine is stable since 30 hours now...Don't ask me why...

Stefano
Old 04-19-05, 03:24 AM   #6
stepia

Tested the new kernel with 7174. startx works fine.

Stefano