Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-17-05, 04:21 PM   #1
rdking

Default 7174 and Xorg cpu bug

Just a quick question to everyone out there in hinterland. I am running a GF4mx420 pci 64 meg card and linux. It is using Xorg 6.8.2 and the 7174 drivers. As everyone knows there has been a large number of problems with this, taking all cpu resources and causing a hard lock (unless you can enter remotely and shutdown X). My question is, has the bug been tracked down yet? Is it to do with the driver or Xorg? I have tried the workarounds but have been unsuccessfull at reaching anything close to stability, so it is back to the "nv" driver. Is this in active fix by nvidia or Xorg...a time frame would be nice. I like to support both Nvidia and Xorg as they offer excellent value and stability...at least in the past....And i know that although this isn't a breadwinner for them...We are customers. Just a word on progress or that they are actively collaborating to solve the problem would be appriciated.
rdking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-05, 05:16 PM   #2
kmare

Send a message via ICQ to kmare
Default Re: 7174 and Xorg cpu bug

yeah I believe that almost everyone here is waiting for a fix... today I had two hard locks!!! it was working for a few days.. now it's broken again... I really don't understand...

ps: everytime my system freezes i get: [kernel] NVRM: Xid: 17, Head=0 X=1280 Y=1024 Refresh=76
messages...

Last edited by kmare; 04-17-05 at 05:41 PM.
kmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-05, 03:07 PM   #3
rdking

rolled back to 6629 drivers for the mx440 card and so far no problems under ubuntu or arch linux, though there is a decrease in rendering speed by glxgears. For those that want stability and need 3d apps to work, all be it less efficiently, may want to try this method. On my older card it doesn't make a huge difference, but stability is there.
Old 04-19-05, 03:52 PM   #4
rdking

scratch that about stability....Though the occurance seems to be less, the random locks are still occuring with the old drivers under both linux distros. Any word about a fix or a tracking down of the problem?

cheers,

ryan king
BscFE/BscE (mechanical)
Old 04-19-05, 05:09 PM   #5
kraney

I believe I have completely worked around this problem by going all the way back to version 6111. To get that to build correctly against kernel 2.6.9, I actually had to use a patched version, 6111-jp1, which I downloaded from here: http://ngc891.blogdns.net/index.php?...nvidia-drivers
kraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-05, 07:58 PM   #6
rdking

Ok so I am contemplating replacing Xorg with XFree86on my arch box as pacman lets me do that very easily and will exhange all dependancies. Has anyone tried these drivers under xfree, and do they experience that same problems? I just really need a computer that has rendering ability and 3d graphics. Once the problem gets cleared up it is an easy switch back to Xorg. would appriciate advice before i go ahead and waste my time...if that is to be the case.

cheers,

ryan king
Old 04-20-05, 12:10 PM   #7
kraney

Based on my own experience I'd say the bug is in the driver, and changing to a different X windows is unlikely to help. If you don't want to use the nv drivers, your best bet is the nvidia driver version 6111.

I've been running on 6111 for 24 hours now withough hitting the hang (where I was getting a hang about every 5 minutes with 7174 - I have a dual display which seems to exacerbate the problem.)
kraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-05, 02:47 PM   #8
technikolor

I too am considering a move back to XFree86 and leaving Xorg alone for awhile. Its just too aggrivating.

FYI, if X freaks out I was unable to kill Xorg via a SIGTERM or HUP, so I was just rebooting the box to regain console control, however I've found that in almost all cases I could use SIGQUIT to shutdown X and restart. So if you have been unable to shutdown X even from a remote connection, try SIGQUIT (kill -SIGQUIT `pgrep X`).

If anyone goes back to XFree86 let us know what the result is. Because I have to turn off Composite to get any ammount of stability there is no point in running Xorg anyway.
XFX 6600GT AGP
TrueCombat: Q3A Mod - truecombat.com
technikolor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-05, 02:05 PM   #9
ogetbilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraney
Based on my own experience I'd say the bug is in the driver, and changing to a different X windows is unlikely to help. If you don't want to use the nv drivers, your best bet is the nvidia driver version 6111.

I've been running on 6111 for 24 hours now withough hitting the hang (where I was getting a hang about every 5 minutes with 7174 - I have a dual display which seems to exacerbate the problem.)
I don't think so

I use 7174 and I had the same freezing issue with xorg 6.8.2
Then I rolled back to 6.8.1 (keeping 7174) and the system had not a single freeze since then. Uptime is now about 17 days.

I suggest everybody to downgrade to xorg 6.8.1, any NVIDIA driver version works flawlessly with it.
ogetbilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-05, 02:22 PM   #10
LubosD

Send a message via ICQ to LubosD

I have xorg 6.8.1 and it crashes too (when using RenderAccel).
LubosD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-05, 03:29 PM   #11
ogetbilo

Hmm yes. I noticed that after trying a dozen combinations I noticed that I had to give up with RendelAccel.
However my system is quite fast and stable without it.
ogetbilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-05, 10:03 PM   #12
genanr

If this is the same problem I was having, I found a weird work around that indicates some initialization problems on nvidia's part. I found that when I ran mplayer, xfree would go in its 100% cpu sigalarm loop. Playing around, I discovered that if I ran glxinfo or glxgears before I ran mplayer, I had no problems. So now I just have glxinfo run automaticly when I load up xorg/xfree, it seems to have fixed the problem.

Andy
genanr is offline   Reply With Quote