Default SUSE won't install on AMD64 with SATA HDD

Hi,

Well, just as I feared... Just bought a new comp with

AMD64 3200+ S939
Asus A8N-SLI
Asus EN6600GT-TD128
Seagate SATA 250GB
Pioneer DVR-109

Windows installs perfectly, so all hardware is obviously OK.

Put a Suse DVD in, it showed the first menu / installation screen, I chose install - and then there was silence... and a black screen...

OK, 64-bit is stuffed, then I put a Suse CD in, it asked me if I really want to install a 32-bit version on a 64-bit comp, I said yes, it installed everything, I chose a root password, then it rebooted...and then there was silence... and a black screen...

I've downloaded the patch CD, put it in, booted, it asked me to make sure the CD1 is in the drive so I put the DVD in, pressed install, it started doing something, got to loading YAST and that was IT! Black screen! S**T! What the h*** is the matter with it?

Then I thought to h*** with 64-bit and started installing 32-bit again from the CDs. I went through the whole installation process without a problem, then when it finally rebooted - black screen! What the h*** doesn't it like? My SATA HDD? but the 32-bit got installed. My Pioneer DVR? But again the 32-bit got installed. It didn't load YAST though.

Has anyone installed it on a Seagate SATA HDD, Pioneer DVR-109 and Asus A8N-SLI with AMD64-3200+ S939? I read that this may be either nVidia SATA driver problem or video card problem.

Help anyone, I'm about to pull my hair out! I only have a dialup connection so downloading the DVD image is out of the question.
linuxoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-05, 01:36 AM   #2
Thoreau

Default Re: SUSE won't install on AMD64 with SATA HDD

Which version of Suse are you using? Nforce 4 is a very new chipset, which doesn't load on Xfree86, and partially on X.org. You will need the nvidia drivers for it, but first, OS details please.

Assuming you are using 9.2, I'll make some suggestions. To let you know 9.3 Pro is now out in the wild. Search linuxquestions.org for an idea.

You have a silicon image NVRaid SATA chipset. Which is software based and the drivers are closed source. If you want it to work with any linux distro, or any OS for that matter, you should get a 3ware card. It is hardware based and open sourced. Check pricewatch or pricegrabber for the lowest price.

If you just want two SATA RAID ports, get this:
8006-2LP $135.00

If you want 4 SATA RAID ports, you could get these:
9500S-4LP $320.00
8506-4LP $275.00

The part that confuses me is that you said it installs. If it's able to partition and install, then it should be able to read the drives- although getting RAID proper is another matter.

The black video screen thing... Does that mean your OS doesn't boot, or that it does boot and when video initializes it goes black. Do you see the grub menu? Anyhow, lemme know.

Last edited by Thoreau; 04-18-05 at 01:49 AM.
Thoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-05, 02:36 AM   #3
linuxoid

Thoreau,

32-bit installs, then reboots and dies with a black screen. The 64-bit won't even start installing, it goes black right after I click Install. I'm trying to install Suse 9.2 Pro (boxed) from the DVD.

I don't need RAID, I just want my SATA HDD to work. I've also got ASUS EN6600GT-TD128. You may be right that there may be a problem with this card, but text install detects it corectly.

Anyway, I'd say the system doesn't boot.
Old 04-18-05, 05:14 AM   #4
Thoreau

OK, to let you know the 64-bit version of Suse 9.2 doesn't work well by all accounts. It's sluggish and slower than the 32-bit when working.

It sounds like your SATA driver is detected, or else you wouldn't have installed anything at all.

The video seems to be the issue. Assuming you configured your video with the proper sync ranges(you need to set them) and resolution, try to do an install/upgrade and choose a init 3, not init 5 user login. That is text mode. Then you will be able to install the driver and change it back to init 5.

If that doesn't work, you may need to test something else.

If you can burn DVD's, try to run the suse 9.3 live DVD.

ftp://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/pub/suse/i386/live-dvd-9.3/

If that works, then you may need to wait a week for the newer 9.3 version to ship.
Old 04-18-05, 06:25 PM   #5
linuxoid

Default Help install Suse 9.2 Pro 64-bit - Part I

OK, I think I've finally got to the bottom of the problem.

PART I

Hardware:
AMD64 3200+ S939
Asus A8N-SLI (standard)
Asus EN6600GT-TD128
Seagate SATA 250GB
Pioneer DVR-109

Problem:
When installing 64-bit Suse 9.2 Pro from DVD installation freezes when trying to load YAST, all hardware seems to be detected correctly incl. SATA HDD.

My steps:
I've installed the 64-bit version using text mode. Everything installed without a problem. The system booted OK, I can see all the drives and everything. I've installed all the development software incl. kernel sources.

Then I've installed the latest NFORCE-Linux-x86_64-1.0-0301-pkg1.run and NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-7174-pkg2.run Linux drivers. The nVidia installer complained that my kernel is only 2.6.8 and may be unstable and that I need at least 2.6.11. But I've installed it anyway. So, after the system boots:

#> login: root
#> password: root_password
#> init 3
#> cd /drivers_folder (folder where the nforce and nvidia drivers are)
#> sh NFORCE-Linux-x86_64-1.0-0301-pkg1.run (and follow the prompts)
#> sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-7174-pkg2.run (and follow the prompts)
#> modprobe nvidia
#> sax2 -m 0=nvidia

Here's the problem: now the sax2 starts, shows the nVidia screen, goes to the monitor setup screen for a few seconds and drops out back to the prompt.

OK then, this means that the problem is with the video card and monitor. The video card is detected by YAST correctly but when I click setup it spits out rainbow garbage on the screen and freezes. Does anyone know how to twick the video card?

If I reboot in graphical mode it shows a warning that the monitor is out of frequency:
HF: 74.5 kHz
VF: 60.0 kHz

HF: 30-70 kHz
VF: 50-160 kHz

Does anyone know how to change the monitor frequency? If I use YAST it again spits out rainbow garbage on the screen and freezes.

Hope this can help someone to get this far. I would really appreciate if someone helps me to nail this SOB and configure it properly.

To be continued...
Old 04-19-05, 07:40 AM   #6
va3rcc
The Ancient One

If you have not done so yet I would suggest you upgrade your Xorg packages to 6.8.2. You can find them in the supplementary directory on most SuSE ftp mirrors. Here is a list of what you will need. You will also need to re-install the nVidia driver as well as it compiles against these libraries. Also be sure you have the kernel sources installed along with any updates. Be sure to reboot your system before doing the video driver installation for any new kernel version to take affect.
xorg-x11
xorg-x11-Mesa
xorg-x11-Mesa-devel
xorg-x11-devel
xorg-x11-fonts-75dpi
xorg-x11-fonts-scalable
xorg-x11-libs
xorg-x11-server
xorg-x11-server-glx
these are optional depending on your needs
xorg-x11-Xprt
xorg-x11-Xvfb
xorg-x11-Xvnc
xorg-x11-doc
xorg-x11-fonts-100dpi
xorg-x11-man
These are not located in the x86_64 tree as expected but in the i386 tree. This should solve your support problems for the 6600GT.
I found myself that x86_64 gave poor performance due to poor memory management in the kernel. I would recommend myself that you run the 32 bit version until 64 bit matures more.
Old 04-19-05, 11:04 AM   #7
SuLinUX

You can edit your H/V sync range in /etc/X11/xorg.config , just add your monitor H/V range where it says and it should work fine. Cannot remember if you can do that in Sax2.

By the way, If you do a manual install of SuSE you can install the SATA module you want.
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0
SuLinUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-05, 07:03 PM   #8
Thoreau

OK, just one thing-

#> login: root
#> password: root_password
#> init 3
#> cd /drivers_folder (folder where the nforce and nvidia drivers are)
#> sh NFORCE-Linux-x86_64-1.0-0301-pkg1.run (and follow the prompts)
#> sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-7174-pkg2.run (and follow the prompts)
#> modprobe nvidia
#> sax2 -m 0=nvidia

after init 3, you have to do a:

cd /usr/src/linux
make cloneconfig
make prepare-all

before the driver install- or else it won't install.

Perhaps you just didn't show that part, but it's important on the suse os.

Old 04-19-05, 08:27 PM   #9
linuxoid

Apparently, the driver did install. Then I've uninstalled it and installed an older 6111 driver - no problem. Then did make cloneconfig and make-all - no errors. BUT it didn't do anything! The monitor still shows a lot of color garbage no mater what setting I pass to sax2, I tried many:
-m 0=nvidia
-m 0=nvidia 0:1024x768@85
-l -r
--vesa

Nothing worked! Then I've installed new sax2-4.8.142 and now sax won't even start. Is there any way I can uninstall it? Can it be because I've installed it on top of the existing Suse version?
Old 04-20-05, 12:29 AM   #10
Thoreau

When you do a make clone-config and a make prepare-all(not make-all), you should get about 4 pages of kernel crap flashing by your screen. gcc/make/kernel-source should be installed. And if you didn't do this before, no the driver didn't compile because the suse kernel don't work that way with it's tools.

If you did follow the instructions then try a test run of this live DVD.

ftp://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/pub/suse/i3...eDVD-amd64.iso

If you notice it magically working now, you may want to opt for 9.3. It's out now. You have bleeding edge hardware, and they don't call it that for nothing. Good luck.
Old 04-20-05, 07:30 AM   #11
va3rcc
The Ancient One

Only driver versions 6629 and 7174 have support for the 6600GT for starters. Secondly only Xorg 6.8.2 has proper support for the 6600GT. If you installed sax2 rpms from the i386 tree on top of your x86_64 install they will not work. You can use Yast to uninstall them and re-install the oruginal x86_64 versions. As far as the video driver it would be best to uninstall it with the --uninstall suffix to clear things out and then start fresh with it. I found that in the
case of the 7174 driver that not using YOU to install a driver but simply running the nVidia installer without a sufix then running sax2 works best.

I also notice Thoreau is refraining from commenting on whether the sluggishness he reported in SuSE 9.2 x86_64 has disappeared in 9.3.

Last edited by va3rcc; 04-20-05 at 07:44 AM.
va3rcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-05, 08:01 AM   #12
siersmak

I have not seen any sluggishness whatsoever in Suse 9.2 on 64 bit. It's rock solid -> installed on my Tyan S2884 mobo w/dual Opteron 250s w/ 4 GB of RAM and a Quadro FX 1100 without a problem.

Installing it on an NForce4 chipset was extremely difficult. Everything works now except the nvidia driver for the Quadro FX 3400. But that's hardly SuSE's fault...

Given all the issues with the nvidia drivers on their newest hardware, I'd stick with the nv driver for now, until nvidia works out all their driver bugs.
siersmak is offline   Reply With Quote