Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-01-02, 05:34 PM   #1
Tactics
Green Lantern

Question Did anyone try that Cyber tweak utility..

that was mentioned here yesterday? I'm just courious if anyone seen a big gain in speed.
Old 08-01-02, 05:57 PM   #2
Pakman

Yes,

It showed an increase over the CableNut settings which I had before. I have tried a lot of these types of proggies and reg hacks. This one really worked well, that's why I posted it. It is simple to use and does the job well. Cost $0, why not try it?
Old 08-01-02, 08:41 PM   #3
netviper13
Treehugger

Used it with WinXP, but didn't get any increase. Oh well, no decrease and no loss of stability so I'm keeping it installed.
netviper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-02, 09:25 PM   #4
Pakman

You have hacked your registry already haven't you? XP reserves (doesn't let you use it for internet connection) 20% of network bandwidth by default. You know about that, right?
Old 08-01-02, 09:37 PM   #5
netviper13
Treehugger

Yup, that's the first thing I get rid of after I install XP.
netviper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-02, 09:11 AM   #6
demonized
R420

How do i fix that?
demonized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-02, 10:18 AM   #7
volt

This is only affecting your performance (IF affecting at all, because I haven't noticed any difference, even if I ran 'perfmon' from run box) if you have Windows XP Pro.

Click the Start button -> Run -> type:
gpedit.msc Hit Enter or click OK. Go to Local Computer Policy -> Administrative Templates -> Network -> QOS Packet Scheduler.
In the right hand side double-click on the "Limit reservable bandwidth" setting. On the Setting tab check the Enabled box.
Change "Bandwidth limit %" to read 0. Click OK and close Gpedit.msc. Under Start -> My Computer -> My Network Connections -> View Network Connections -> right-click on your connection -> select Properties (where your protocols are listed) -> make sure QOS Packet Scheduler is enabled.

I've heard that it will reserve that 20% EVEN IF you have QOS disabled. So enable it and do those steps above.
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-02, 12:20 PM   #8
Matthyahuw

Send a message via ICQ to Matthyahuw Send a message via AIM to Matthyahuw Send a message via Yahoo to Matthyahuw

The QoS thing is a misunderstanding...
it only reservers 20% if the OTHER SIDE says to do it (server has QoS installed and running as well)
like in the corporate environment where it is necessary to reserve bandwidth for mission critical stuff.

Old 08-08-02, 10:42 PM   #9
styles-T
-========-

try going to www.speedguide.net

this is my favorite site for i-net tweaks.
styles-T is offline   Reply With Quote