Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-10-02, 02:41 PM   #1
Cronach

Send a message via ICQ to Cronach
Question GeForce 2 MX 400 and Debian 3

Hello all !
I've beeen using Microsoft OS's for about 9 yrs. Recently Ive desided to move to the Linux world, so I'm a newb in this area lol. I've read up on all the distros of Linux and I desided Debian 3 was the one i wanted (prolly not a good choice for a newb lol).

My computer
--------------------
Tyan - Tiger MPX motherboard
Dual Athlon MP 1800+
GeForce2 MX 400
.28 dot pitch 19 inch monitor

My problem
---------------
Even for a newb I got Debian installed after a weekend of study, I heard that X was the hardest part of Linux to configure but I was wondering if anyone could tell me the easiest way? Or does someone have the same type of system that i do so i could get a good idea of the of the propper file configuration?

I didnt copy the errors because I didnt know of the cat comand at that time. But I do remember that last line .....

(0)screens found, none configured

Sorry so long of a message
Cronach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-02, 03:04 PM   #2
misleb

X really isn't that hard anymore. It used to be quite the challenge before Xfree86 4.x. Now you can pretty much take a generic XF86Config-4 file and edit a single line for different video card.

Basically all you need to do is 'apt-get install x-window-system' and answer a few questions to get up and running with the open source "nv" driver. Did you do this? You'll probably need to get a better look at the output of 'startx' to get a better idea of what is going on.

-matthew
misleb is offline   Reply With Quote