Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-26-05, 08:34 AM   #1
Darkness

Default nvidia driver inside a chroot environment

Hi all,

Is there anybody who uses the proprietary driver inside a chroot environment? I searched through the archives and googled for the info but I did not find anything on it.

Basically what I want is: I have a fully working system with 2.6.11 kernel and 71.74 driver plus glibc 2.3.2. I have a few apps, they use glibc 2.2/2.1, so I need a different distro to be able to run them. I decided to use a chroot environment rather than a dual boot system.

My primary X uses vt7, I would like to use the chrooted X on vt8, which works with the OS drivers (e.g. vesa). I my cases the chrooted X cannot load the glx module. Devices created, /proc and /tmp mounted.

Any idea/hints?

Darkness
Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-05, 02:54 PM   #2
Lithorus

Default Re: nvidia driver inside a chroot environment

Glx shouldn't be necessary for an X using vesa. Anyway about the glibc 2.2 perhaps, some kind of LD_PRELOAD might be better than chroot?
Lithorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-05, 04:47 PM   #3
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithorus
Glx shouldn't be necessary for an X using vesa. Anyway about the glibc 2.2 perhaps, some kind of LD_PRELOAD might be better than chroot?
Well, I figured out that even glibc2.2 does not seem to be OK. I need a 2.1/2.0, so you may be right.

Otherwise, I successfully set up the chroot, I just copied the kernel modules and the driver files into it and the second X is working.

Darkness
Old 04-27-05, 12:20 AM   #4
whig
550Ti

The main system here is 64 bit and I use my 32 bit apps/games in a chroot, goes pretty well. You also want to mount --bind /dev too. But I don't start a second X server, I let the 32 bit apps to talk to my 64 bit X server. If you want a second X server take a look here.

http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/...p?articleid=43
whig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-05, 07:08 AM   #5
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by whig
The main system here is 64 bit and I use my 32 bit apps/games in a chroot, goes pretty well. You also want to mount --bind /dev too. But I don't start a second X server, I let the 32 bit apps to talk to my 64 bit X server. If you want a second X server take a look here.

http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/...p?articleid=43
Now, both (real sarge and chrooted woody) system works. My only problem is that the application itself do not want to run on woody.