Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-11-05, 10:06 AM   #109
superklye

Default Re: *** Official Guild Wars Thread ***

The skills and attributes system really doesn't bother me...I just want to see stats, damn it!
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-05, 06:41 PM   #110
Slybri

I don't know why people keep comparing this game to WoW or EQ2. It's not an MMO at all! It's 3d Diablo without a singleplayer campaign. A Co-op RPG.

I guess they figured they could sell it as an "MMO without monthly fees" but that's stretching it a bit. In fact, I'd say it's a lie.

An MMO feels like you're living in an active, changing world. It a place that you go, not just a game that you play. A world where players are running everywhere and doing unpredictable things (like training Stitches to Goldshire, or blowing up the Auction house with a pet bomb.) Sure there's no camping mobs or kill stealing or ninja looting in Guild Wars. Those things only happen in MMOs. Guild wars is a co-op RPG with chatroom lobbies scattered around the map and a seperate multiplayer game. That's the difference, and that's why the no monthly fees.

I'm not saying it's a bad game. (the graphics are gorgeous! Like the man said..It's like walking around in a painting) Just that it's not an MMO.

"Nice shot William Burroughs! You hold a gun like a guy who plays Riven!"
------ The Venture Bros.
Slybri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-05, 07:09 PM   #111
superklye

I have no quests right now...I'm kind of at a loss. I just got level 6 and I'm trying to find somethign to do. How the hell do I get out of Ascalon City?
Old 05-11-05, 07:31 PM   #112
Nv40
Agent-Fx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slybri
I don't know why people keep comparing this game to WoW or EQ2. It's not an MMO at all! It's 3d Diablo without a singleplayer campaign. A Co-op RPG.

I guess they figured they could sell it as an "MMO without monthly fees" but that's stretching it a bit. In fact, I'd say it's a lie.

An MMO feels like you're living in an active, changing world. It a place that you go, not just a game that you play. A world where players are running everywhere and doing unpredictable things (like training Stitches to Goldshire, or blowing up the Auction house with a pet bomb.) Sure there's no camping mobs or kill stealing or ninja looting in Guild Wars. Those things only happen in MMOs. Guild wars is a co-op RPG with chatroom lobbies scattered around the map and a seperate multiplayer game. That's the difference, and that's why the no monthly fees.

I'm not saying it's a bad game. (the graphics are gorgeous! Like the man said..It's like walking around in a painting) Just that it's not an MMO.

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrank...eviewid=548395

Quote:
Watch out Blizzard, Guild Wars is a worthy contender to WoW's throne......... An excellent MMORPG and one that easily sits alongside Blizzard’s World of Warcraft at the top of the genre. A streamlined experience and excellent blend between PvP and RPG are the largest strengths of Guild Wars; if you have any interest in the genre make sure to check it out...

Its is a MMORPG game..
MASSIVE-MULTI-ONLINE-ROLE PLAYING GAME.. just that it doesnt plays exactly like some traditional MMOs games.. When it comes to the definition..of the genre IT IS a MMORPG game.. The game genres are merely labels used to make it easier comparison between the games ..To allow people know more or less how they play. But there are no rules set in stone that limits the way MMORPG games needs to be played. In the Future once performance is good enough expect Hybrid games using elements of FPS/RPG and RTS and with online support in a single game together.

Last edited by Nv40; 05-11-05 at 08:07 PM.
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-05, 08:12 PM   #113
Clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
I have no quests right now...I'm kind of at a loss. I just got level 6 and I'm trying to find somethign to do. How the hell do I get out of Ascalon City?
Have you gone to other areas like the other fort out east or Foible (something) to the south? Been to Wizard's Folley? If so, then you're probably ready to talk to the main guy (sorry, I forget his name right now...but he's the one with everyone around him) in Ascalon City...accept his offer of "are you ready to go away for a long time?"...this will trigger "The Searing" to occur which is where Ascalon City is burned to the ground by the Charr. You'll go through two short missions with a group of others and then the really cool part of the game starts. Everything up until that point is basically a primer IMO.

I personally believe that us americans are unable to do so because osama.

People out there in our nation don't have that, And I believe that our education like such as south africa and such as the Iraq.

everywhere "such as". And I believe our education should help the US should help the south africa and the iraq and the asian countries so we can build up our future.
-- Miss Teen South Carolina

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-05, 08:36 PM   #114
superklye

I only just found Wizards Folley. I haven't been to Foible yet though. It kills me there is no town or whatever in the Regent Forest/Wizards Folley areas. It's such a pain in the ass walking there from Ascalon.
Old 05-11-05, 09:48 PM   #115
Clay

Quote:
I only just found Wizards Folley. I haven't been to Foible yet though. It kills me there is no town or whatever in the Regent Forest/Wizards Folley areas. It's such a pain in the ass walking there from Ascalon.
You can just use the map to go to Ashford Abbey...that makes it much faster to then go to Wizard's Folley (just follow the road up to the top of the hill, instead of going across the bridge to Regent Valley).

People out there in our nation don't have that, And I believe that our education like such as south africa and such as the Iraq.

everywhere "such as". And I believe our education should help the US should help the south africa and the iraq and the asian countries so we can build up our future.

Old 05-11-05, 11:28 PM   #116
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

Thumbs up Re: *** Official Guild Wars Thread ***

Wow once you reach top lvl 20 , game is not PvP only i was wrong , there is such a thing called UnderWorld there 4 different ones i believe , when Country wins battle in Hall of Heros in PvP battles , US > Europe > Korea , then that country gets access to UnderWorlds been there today scary place. Demons , shadows , high levels need uber group to survive , even to enter it cost 1000G , abit easier one cost only 200g though , bah we had team of 8 with 3 monks we got powned at the very start in 1 plat dungeon
Reminds me of hell levels in Diablo

Old 05-12-05, 12:06 AM   #117
superklye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay
You can just use the map to go to Ashford Abbey...that makes it much faster to then go to Wizard's Folley (just follow the road up to the top of the hill, instead of going across the bridge to Regent Valley).
Yeah, I realized that earlier, but I was getting really bored and annoyed with all the piddly low-level crap so I finally advanced the story.

I just died and now I've got -15% on my stats...how long does that last?!
Old 05-12-05, 12:13 AM   #118
Clay

Quote:
Yeah, I realized that earlier, but I was getting really bored and annoyed with all the piddly low-level crap so I finally advanced the story.

I just died and now I've got -15% on my stats...how long does that last?!
Once you die the death penalty remains (and compounds each subsequent death)...however...once you return to Ascalon the slate is wiped clean and you'll be back to 100%

Old 05-12-05, 12:22 AM   #119
Nv40
Agent-Fx

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=DVS=-
Wow once you reach top lvl 20 , game is not PvP only i was wrong , there is such a thing called UnderWorld there 4 different ones i believe , when Country wins battle in Hall of Heros in PvP battles , US > Europe > Korea , then that country gets access to UnderWorlds been there today scary place. Demons , shadows , high levels need uber group to survive , even to enter it cost 1000G , abit easier one cost only 200g though , bah we had team of 8 with 3 monks we got powned at the very start in 1 plat dungeon
Reminds me of hell levels in Diablo

Nice to know.. im more interested in the non-PVP side of the game.. But seem to quick the way so many people are reaching level 20.. for a game that have just 1 month in the market.. it is short the "single player" side of the game?

A side note.. RAge3d is also hooked with GW.. they have their own clan.. maybe we can fight againts them .

http://rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33814383
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-05, 12:29 AM   #120
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

Lightbulb Re: *** Official Guild Wars Thread ***

That purely depends how you play i even skiped few main plot missions , didn't do all of the sidequests , and this is not EQ your not suppose to be playing years to reach max level .

Clan im in got only 3 people we just chill and have fun no preasure from hundread people clan where nobody knows each other .