Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-01-06, 10:01 PM   #625
superklye

Default Re: *** Official Guild Wars Thread ***

It just feels like there isn't a point to play after I reach the maximum level in a game. 2/3 the fun (or more) of an RPG is leveling and once that's gone...

But that being said, I got my latest PCGamer finally and reading about Nightfall...I gotta get back into this game. It comes out on 10/27 or thereabouts and Factions is on asle for $30 this week at Circuit City. I think I'll pick that up (wish it was the CE, though) and get going on that I s'pose.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-06, 05:31 PM   #626
superklye

I picked up Factions last night and finally started playing. It's decent, but, from the beginning area, the graphics are that impressive and I actually think they look worse than Prophecies.
Old 10-07-06, 07:52 PM   #627
superklye

I take it back...it was just those intro graphics that sucked. Once I actually got into the monastery, things really ramped up. The game is amazing.
Old 10-07-06, 07:58 PM   #628
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Judging from the Nightfall preview.... it is going to look even better.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-06, 08:36 PM   #629
superklye

Yeah, I can't stop looking at the preview in PCGamer. The graphics look awesome.
Old 10-08-06, 07:18 PM   #630
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

superkyle, I also picked up factions at cc last week. I really like it, its actually a blast with my current level 20 because right from the start, you are fighting level 20 enemies. So now I have lots of mission infront of me that will/are all challenging. Also assasin is a wonderfull secondary for my monk, I barly did anything with my mez secondary. Only bad thing is when you run out of the noob island, your faced with mostly level 20's doing missions so your level 10ish and the mobs are all level 20. Most people, and probably me with my moob ritualist, are prolly heading over to prophecies to level up.

If theres anything negative about factions, its that the first 8 levels are pretty much handed to you. Rather then left to your own devices, it hands you a whole slew of quest that teach you all the basics and some advance stuff. Thats not bad, but there is such thing as leveling to fast and not learning about your just aquired skills before your handed the next set.

I played in the nightfall preview event, seems to be very impressive, though it also seems to devote one large zone to levels 1-8, and that zone lacked alot of mobs above 4 (6 was pretty much bosses or powerfull roamers not in packs) so the leveling speed droped real low at around level 5.
jeffmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-06, 08:03 PM   #631
superklye

Yeah, I know what you mean about leveling fast. I played for maybe 3 hours last night and I'm level 6.5. That's a bit...ridiculous. And that's also one of the reasons I hate this game only goes to level 20. When you get almost 7 levels in three hours, half of the point of playing the game is gone.
Old 10-08-06, 09:31 PM   #632
superklye

I played for a little over an hour and went from level 6.5 to level 9. Yeesh.

Old 10-10-06, 02:36 AM   #633
NiukNiuk
The one and only

This game is not about leveling AT ALL.
Getting to lvl 20 can be considered as THE TUTORIAL.
The real game begins at lvl 20, because you're considered as a player who knows the game mechanics.
That's why max dmg weapons and max armors can be available to everyone.
there's no "super über weapon" or armor in this game, everyone's got the same thing.

Remember that in guild wars time spend playing < the way you play.
Even if you have 1.000+ hours of play, you can be beaten by a (so called) noob, who uses his skills "better" than you.

This game is all about tactics, cooperation, and choosing well the 8 skills on your skill bar before fighting in pve/pvp.
If you can't understand that, and if can't past the "omg lvl 20 only lolz" thing, then sorry but go play another game. Guild wars is not for you.

EDIT: I agree that in factions you gain levels very fast...and to be honest the whole factions game is too short (yeah I was really disappointed by factions).
But I have some high hopes for nightfall :
I played a lot during the pve event, and I managed to get to lvl 19 in...36 hours !
And It was only the "noob island" !
If the rest of nightfall is as long, dense etc...it'll be great !
Ram: G.Skill Kit Extreme2 2 x 2 Go PC6400 PK
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 512 Mo
Sound Card: Asus Xonar D2 sound card
Monitor: Iiyama ProLite B2403WS -B1

Last edited by NiukNiuk; 10-10-06 at 04:20 AM.
NiukNiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-06, 04:51 PM   #634
superklye

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiukNiuk
This game is not about leveling AT ALL.
Getting to lvl 20 can be considered as THE TUTORIAL.
The real game begins at lvl 20, because you're considered as a player who knows the game mechanics.
That's why max dmg weapons and max armors can be available to everyone.
there's no "super über weapon" or armor in this game, everyone's got the same thing.

Remember that in guild wars time spend playing < the way you play.
Even if you have 1.000+ hours of play, you can be beaten by a (so called) noob, who uses his skills "better" than you.

This game is all about tactics, cooperation, and choosing well the 8 skills on your skill bar before fighting in pve/pvp.
If you can't understand that, and if can't past the "omg lvl 20 only lolz" thing, then sorry but go play another game. Guild wars is not for you.

EDIT: I agree that in factions you gain levels very fast...and to be honest the whole factions game is too short (yeah I was really disappointed by factions).
But I have some high hopes for nightfall :
I played a lot during the pve event, and I managed to get to lvl 19 in...36 hours !
And It was only the "noob island" !
If the rest of nightfall is as long, dense etc...it'll be great !
If the game wasn't about leveling, then every character would start at level 20 and that would be it. The game isn't JUST about PvP. There's a story aspect as well, and part of the story is growing as a character (shown by gaining levels) and taking on larger and larger monsters to finally vanquish the ultimate foe and save the world.

Again, if levels weren't important, every character should just start at the highest and be done with it. Or, even better, not have levels at all.

Gaining levels is a way of rewarding players for time spent playing. It gives a sense of accomplishment, and once you reach the highest level, that sense of accomplishment is HIGHLY diminished since all the XP you continue to receive is only giving you more skill points, and after you’ve got 200 skills to choose from, again: the sense of accomplishment is gone. Yippee, I get to buy another skill I’ll probably never use.

Plus, levels beyond 20 would give additional stat points which would further make characters stronger. The addition of higher levels would mean harder enemies, better weapons/armor, etc…I don’t expect them to just up the levels and leave everything else the same.

It’d be nice if the “Diablo’d” the game up a little more…higher level cap (and make the levels past 20 “epic” levels like DnD or something, so you have a “prestige” class or some such thing), add unique weapons (and just all-around better drops on boss characters) and item sets that have additional bonuses the more pieces you have. None of those things would detract from the game. It’d make it a hell of a lot more fun, I think, since there are more things to strive for and try to attain.

Meh, whatever. It’s still a fun game, but I feel it has all this potential and just ignores it.
Old 10-10-06, 04:57 PM   #635
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
If the game wasn't about leveling, then every character would start at level 20 and that would be it. The game isn't JUST about PvP. There's a story aspect as well, and part of the story is growing as a character (shown by gaining levels) and taking on larger and larger monsters to finally vanquish the ultimate foe and save the world.

Again, if levels weren't important, every character should just start at the highest and be done with it. Or, even better, not have levels at all.

Gaining levels is a way of rewarding players for time spent playing. It gives a sense of accomplishment, and once you reach the highest level, that sense of accomplishment is HIGHLY diminished since all the XP you continue to receive is only giving you more skill points, and after you’ve got 200 skills to choose from, again: the sense of accomplishment is gone. Yippee, I get to buy another skill I’ll probably never use.

Plus, levels beyond 20 would give additional stat points which would further make characters stronger. The addition of higher levels would mean harder enemies, better weapons/armor, etc…I don’t expect them to just up the levels and leave everything else the same.

It’d be nice if the “Diablo’d” the game up a little more…higher level cap (and make the levels past 20 “epic” levels like DnD or something, so you have a “prestige” class or some such thing), add unique weapons (and just all-around better drops on boss characters) and item sets that have additional bonuses the more pieces you have. None of those things would detract from the game. It’d make it a hell of a lot more fun, I think, since there are more things to strive for and try to attain.

Meh, whatever. It’s still a fun game, but I feel it has all this potential and just ignores it.

i totally agree

after reaching level 20, the game was dead for me
Old 10-11-06, 02:42 AM   #636
NiukNiuk
The one and only

What you said is true, but GW's creators always said that the main focus of their game wasn't the time spend playing it.
That's why there's no super weapon/armor in this game, that's why everyone has the same chances to win/loose, everything in this game is about balance.

Of course they can change the lvl cap to, for example, lvl 40...but the result will be the same, because the health/power or current ennemies will only be doubled, and the power of the weapons/armors too.
Of course they can change the number of skills on the skill bar, allow two elites, raise the number of stat points etc...but if they do that they need to modify a lot of things in the game to make it balanced again.
This game is not only about pvp, true (and to be honest I don't play pvp except AvA), but it's not the pve aspect of GW that "guides" the game development.
Balance, accessibility to the casual player, ability for him to beat even the more experienced player, that's what this game is.

But I agree that a version of guild wars, without pvp, with a more "diablo'd" aspect will be great.

ps: and hey, I have five lvl20 characters and I still enjoy playing pve a lot...and I play gw since it came out. But I hope that nightfall will give us, pve players, more to do...and by judging of the pve event it seems good ^^
Ram: G.Skill Kit Extreme2 2 x 2 Go PC6400 PK
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 512 Mo
Sound Card: Asus Xonar D2 sound card
Monitor: Iiyama ProLite B2403WS -B1
NiukNiuk is offline   Reply With Quote