Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-06-05, 12:18 PM   #61
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick
Default Re: *** Official Guild Wars Thread ***

I havnet looked into this game untill last night. My Clan (witch plays alot of games not just one) suddenly got hooked on it. We never had so many people buy and like a single game before. It seems our hardcore FPS and MMO people are spending alot more time on it than other games.

In that case, I belive im gonna have to pick it up hopefully today (just an excuse to go to frys).

One thing i wonder is,

By them not charging a fee, they must not be useing much network resoruces, if anyone could clear it up id love it.

But from what i hear of the gameplay, im lead to belive that only in cities are you on a central server, but when you go out to do missions, you pritty much disconnect and are in a like single player mode OR with a group (witch im guessing its Peer To Peer to save money)

Only other thing is, i hope patches arnet like a bittorrent etc.
Old 05-06-05, 01:36 PM   #62
Clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by GigaShadow
Hahahaha he linked my previous posts not yours Ghost. I think he thought I said I wasn't into WoW.
Yeah I updated my post. Oops! Whew...it's definitely Friday.
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-05, 01:41 PM   #63
Clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlowStick
I havnet looked into this game untill last night. My Clan (witch plays alot of games not just one) suddenly got hooked on it. We never had so many people buy and like a single game before. It seems our hardcore FPS and MMO people are spending alot more time on it than other games.

In that case, I belive im gonna have to pick it up hopefully today (just an excuse to go to frys).

One thing i wonder is,

By them not charging a fee, they must not be useing much network resoruces, if anyone could clear it up id love it.

But from what i hear of the gameplay, im lead to belive that only in cities are you on a central server, but when you go out to do missions, you pritty much disconnect and are in a like single player mode OR with a group (witch im guessing its Peer To Peer to save money)

Only other thing is, i hope patches arnet like a bittorrent etc.
That's funny, today at lunch two other guys at work and I went out and bought it at the same time.

I've been reading about it so much to figure out if I'd like it or not that I finally decided to go for it. They're both going to blame me if it sucks.

As for patches, my understanding is that it would be a fairly seamless update from the server (there's only one...or just one server farm location, etc) that you would see automatically happen when you're in the game or when you logged on the next time.

UPDATE: Here is a blurb about how patches are applied...
From the last page of this review: http://www.insidegameronline.com/pc....reviews&id=419
Quote:
Guild Wars is a technical marvel, not just because its splintered gameplay makes it possible for everyone to play on a single server, but because its streaming technology makes installation and logging in a breeze. Entering the game world takes just a second or two, and patching is a seamless, brilliant process that allows you to remain logged in even after a patch is applied. Lag is almost non-existent, with only the occasional rubberbanding marring the most stable online launch in history. During our testing period, it has never been impossible to log in. This is what we should expect from online RPGs, and anything less is an excuse, given Guild Wars’ massive populace.
Old 05-06-05, 04:21 PM   #64
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

Ah good stuff, yes i have the feeling when they say lag is almost non-exsistant, it means its pritty much 'localhost' but occosionaly reports stats back to the server. However that is an intresting idea, cuz honestly it sounds better than the other options out there.

For example in SWG you feel the lag while trying to move ineventory around, aparnetly it checks everything with the server after you change it heh. etc.

However i wonder if this opens up the possibility of haX
Old 05-06-05, 07:40 PM   #65
Ghosthunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay
I'm confused.

UPDATE...very confused obviously. My bad guys.
np...lol...i was confused too all good
G.Skill 16 GB Ram DDR3-1600
EVGA GTX 680 SC
Crucial M4 128 GB SSD
2x Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint 7200 RPM SATA HD103SJ
WD SE16 7200 RPM SATA 640 GB
SAMSUNG 22X SATA DVD Burner
CORSAIR 750TX PSU
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B
Asus 25 inch VE258Q
Win7x64
Ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-05, 06:33 AM   #66
nrs421

i've played about 10 mins so far and i must say i am liking this a lot so far....
nrs421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-05, 04:19 PM   #67
superklye

I just picked up the CE. It's quite the package!
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-05, 02:19 PM   #68
Clay

Well, after putting in enough time to be at level 5 now...I am hooked (and I am VERY picky about gaming...my free time is limited so I have to be nuts about a game to play it on a regular basis). I was a big fan of Diablo, Dungeon Siege, etc. While Guild Wars has some similarities to those, there really is so much more.

Old 05-08-05, 04:28 PM   #69
superklye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay
Well, after putting in enough time to be at level 5 now...I am hooked (and I am VERY picky about gaming...my free time is limited so I have to be nuts about a game to play it on a regular basis). I was a big fan of Diablo, Dungeon Siege, etc. While Guild Wars has some similarities to those, there really is so much more.
I can't wait to finally get it installed and play it tonight.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-05, 07:00 PM   #70
Tyr-Sog
goS-ryT

Well with Wow boring(though it was fun since launch, just falling short longterm) the hell out of me with it's lack of highend content I'm gonna give this game a go.

I did play a early beta of GW and I remeber not caring for it to much but who knows. For $40 it's worth trying and if I like it I can cancel wows subscribtion and it pays off.
Old 05-08-05, 07:29 PM   #71
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

Talking Re: *** Official Guild Wars Thread ***

Finally reached lvl 20 Ascencion with one of my chars , alot of classes and different combos kept trying different ones could not play long enough with one now that i reached with one time to play with another , end of game is basicly massive PvP/Guild battles , with several teams with 8 people , Koreans pwning everyone though , they even have conspiracy going they don't attack each other just US and Europ if ya not into PvP doing raid in lands with monster with levels above 20+ is fun, highest Dragon i have seen so far was lvl 31 kicks ass we didn't manage to kill it though
Old 05-08-05, 10:25 PM   #72
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=DVS=-
Finally reached lvl 20 Ascencion with one of my chars , alot of classes and different combos kept trying different ones could not play long enough with one now that i reached with one time to play with another , end of game is basicly massive PvP/Guild battles , with several teams with 8 people , Koreans pwning everyone though , they even have conspiracy going they don't attack each other just US and Europ if ya not into PvP doing raid in lands with monster with levels above 20+ is fun, highest Dragon i have seen so far was lvl 31 kicks ass we didn't manage to kill it though

Awesome... I hit level 20 the other day and have been doing the ascension missions today... hopefully I will be done tomorrow and stuff.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote