Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-01-05, 06:06 PM   #1
zorinlynx

Default Three heads; xinerama on just two?

Okay, here's the story. My machine has two Nvidia cards in it; an FX5900 for the main display and TVout, and a PCI FX5200 for the second flat panel.

I want to set it up so that the two flat panels use xinerama, but the TVout is :0.1 -- this makes it easier to watch video, because you can just do mplayer -fs -display :0.1 whatever.avi It also keeps desktop elements and windows from ending up lost over on the TVout head when the TV is off.

Is there a way to do this? I couldn't find any tweaking for xinerama; no matter what I do, if I enable xinerama with all heads working, a single :0.0 spans across the three heads.

-Z
zorinlynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-05, 02:39 AM   #2
Thunderbird

Default Re: Three heads; xinerama on just two?

I can't think of a way to do this with plain xinerama. The issue is that some tricks are done by the driver to allow xinerama on a single card. If that wasn't the case you could create for instance a seperate config file for just tvout but that can't be done right now. (the screens won't all be enabled then) Doesn't the pci card have tvout?
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-05, 09:26 AM   #3
zorinlynx

Default Re: Three heads; xinerama on just two?

Trouble is, I want to feed the two flat panels with DVI, and each card only has one DVI output.

Also, the TV-out on the PCI card isn't as high quality as on the AGP card. I'm not sure why; I tweaked the settings and couldn't get the nice bright vibrant image I get on the AGP card.

I have until next weekend to return the PCI card, so hopefully someone knows how to exclude a head from xinerama!

-Z
zorinlynx is offline   Reply With Quote