Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > Other Desktop Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-02, 01:51 AM   #13
StealthHawk

true, but i can usually discern the BS problems from the real problems(ie what seems to be isolated to one person, or in some cases, what people seem to make up )

Old 08-08-02, 02:06 AM   #14
netviper13
Treehugger

There is no possible way to get out of the fact that, at launch, the 8500 drivers were complete pieces of crap. They crashed most people's systems, and for the ones they worked on there were many features that didn't work.

Now today the 8500 drivers are very smooth and have most of the bugs worked out. I think the first few weeks will tell if R300 will be destined to sit on the back-burner because of drivers, or hold the crown at least until NV30 arrives.
Old 08-08-02, 09:20 AM   #15
Bigus Dickus
GF7 FX Ti 12800 SE Ultra

Quote:
Originally posted by netviper13
There is no possible way to get out of the fact that, at launch, the 8500 drivers were complete pieces of crap. They crashed most people's systems, and for the ones they worked on there were many features that didn't work.
Typical blowing things out of proportion. The fact is that Smoothvision was the only feature not working in its final form (AA was there, and working, just not refined yet).

Crashed most people's systems? Yeah, I love it when people read dozens of posts about people systems crashing, and assume that the thousands upon thousands that didn't have a problem and didn't take the time to write and say so must have crashing systems as well.

Look... the 8500's release drivers weren't the greatest, but system crashing and game bugs were still isolated incidences. The drivers out just one month later corrected nearly all remaining issues. Since then, the drivers have focused primarily on performance. You act as if it has taken a year to get good drivers for the 8500, and that is simply not the case. The release drivers were good (as bug free as the detonator version I installed here on my work compter... tell me about system crashes, sheesh), the first updated ones were better, and the new ones are faster.
Old 08-08-02, 09:34 AM   #16
SnakeEyes

Send a message via ICQ to SnakeEyes
Thumbs up

From everything I've been reading, it took quite a while to work most of the non-working feature and compatibility (for most games) problems for the 8500 out. As for performance issues, I'd say both of the major companies in question here usually take a few months after initial release of the hardware before the true performance potential starts to be realized in the drivers. But all of my nVidia cards so far seem to have all the promised features working out of the box, and practically every game works fine right away. Performance wise, there were usually increases later, allowing each card to finally stand out from its predecessor by a noticable margin (GF2Ultra - GF3, for example).

StealthHawk's point about the games that the preview card was tested with is a good one too. Most likely ATI concentrated on those titles first, and then works on other more obscure / less popular titles as time allows. Not an unreasonable strategy, but this means that until the card is in the hands of people that can try it out on more than just the favorite games and benchmarks, we just DON'T really know if they've finally had the big breakthrough in their driver development team that everyone's been crying for, which is that the drivers are basically fully functional and compatibility without problems is high, AT RELEASE. i expect performance to only improve, but I really want to see if the drivers are good all-around out of the box. Nothing worse than having some game that not many people play that I CAN'T because my card / drivers has issues, and that I'd have to wait months before I could..

------

BTW, I plan to use the same criteria with nV30, especially since it's an all-new architecture for nVidia, and I expect writing the drivers for it won't be quite as trivial as for past cards, which shared a large portion of their core designs (with additions for each generation for the new features).

Last edited by SnakeEyes; 08-08-02 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-08-02, 12:41 PM   #17
jbirney

Quote:
From everything I've been reading, it took quite a while to work most of the non-working feature and compatibility (for most games) problems for the 8500 out. As for performance issues, I'd say both of the major companies in question here usually take a few months after initial release of the hardware before the true performance potential starts to be realized in the drivers. But all of my nVidia cards so far seem to have all the promised features working out of the box, and practically every game works fine right away. Performance wise, there were usually increases later, allowing each card to finally stand out from its predecessor by a noticable margin (GF2Ultra - GF3, for example).

Hmmm
I got an 8500 the last year about 3/4 weeks after they came out. Right around Thanksgiving. I installed it fresh on a Win2k PC and since then I have not had one major issue with the card. Shure there were some bugs that got worked out (for example flashing texture in C&C Renagade). The very same day I got it, they had released their first beta drivers which fixes the Q3 issue and had working smoothvision. So for me, its been a very smooth ride. I realize that I might have gotten lucky.

For features that were not working, we had smoothvision only. And that was fixed with their first set of drivers. There was some talk about OpenGL and HperZ2 but at the time it was really hard to figure out if it was working or not. It was working fine in D3D.

If anything we can learn that ATI has vastly improved thier drivers and I doubt we will see the same thing again. Also not every NV card had good drivers. Do you remember the GF3 first reviews? Remember how nV ask to hold back the FPS numbers for a month? Also HOS support has been turned on/off in their drivers. At one time they had advertise that the GF3 can do it.

I hope ATI has learned its lesson as that will make better stuff for us all.....
Old 08-08-02, 08:28 PM   #18
StealthHawk

in the end, it all comes down to what games you play, doesn't it? many people who buy only very popular games(not indicating that you are one of those) will experience few problems in terms of crashing or performance.

Old 04-25-08, 10:17 PM   #19
gilly
*BANNED*

Default gillyfju41v

Quote:
Originally Posted by druga runda
Shipping on 19th of August

With all the specs and 325 MHZ clock!!! At least they will make those 399 USD a bit more worth.

Here is the link

http://mirror.ati.com/companyinfo/press/2002/4523.html
gillyfju41v@gmail.com
Old 04-25-08, 10:23 PM   #20
Lfctony

Default Re: R9700 Oficially Announced

WTF!!!!??? Damn spam bots...
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?

Old 04-25-08, 10:28 PM   #21
Viral
Registered User of Women

Default Re: R9700 Oficially Announced

I read R700 officially announced Not RV770, I know, but i still got exited.
Closed Thread