Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-11-02, 04:53 PM   #1
HunterA3

Unhappy Anyone else have this problem?

I've installed the new drivers from the tar file on my mandrake 9.0 system and everything appeared to install correctly.

BUT...

Now when I try to boot into X, it just sits there at a black screen. I even went back to the older 3123 drivers and at first, root could boot into X, but, after rebooting, it just goes to a black screen and sits there again.

There were no errors reported when installing the kernel and glx files and my xf86config-4 file contains all the correct information.

Any ideas?
HunterA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-02, 05:05 PM   #2
bwkaz

Hmm... how long have you let it sit there?

It does take up to a minute or two on some systems, but ... hmm.

Is there anything in the log file? /var/log/XFree86.0.log -- or actually, check /var/log/messages as well.

:-/
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-02, 05:11 PM   #3
HunterA3

I'm at work now, so I'll have to check those location when I get off tonight, but to answer your first question, I've left it sit there for almost 5 minutes with no change in screen activity.
Old 12-12-02, 09:37 AM   #4
Gonzalo Aguilar

Send a message via Yahoo to Gonzalo Aguilar
Default I think that is similar to my problem.

When I use the nvidia drivers with X, after playing a video appears a box in the screen with the dimension of the avi played. Just like overlapped.

It persist after rebooting. I have to play another video or shut down the system to get all normal again.

May be you have the same problem but with a BIG black box. Don't know.
Gonzalo Aguilar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-02, 11:45 AM   #5
bwkaz

"after playing a video"

Using what?
Old 12-12-02, 01:06 PM   #6
Gonzalo Aguilar

Default Using what...

I'm using mplayer with sdl overlay.

My system is a Linux 2.4.20 and latest XFree.

But every overlay makes my X to show the box
Old 12-12-02, 02:01 PM   #7
bwkaz

You've tried the "xv" and "x11" -vo options, then, right?

Hmm... never mind, I don't know then.

Is this a public release of mplayer (is there such a thing? now that I think about it, I'm not sure...), or a CVS checkout?
Old 12-12-02, 03:01 PM   #8
Gonzalo Aguilar

Default mplayer

I'm using 0.90pre5-3.0.4 version of mplayer but this doesn't matter.

The box appears always. With any player. Don't know why but it appears.

Someone told me to remove vga video selection and framebuffer from the kernel. I have to test but I'm not sure to make it work correctly.

Old 12-12-02, 11:38 PM   #9
HunterA3

I fixed my problem. I just rebuilt my system and re-installed the older 3123 drivers and now I'm back in business. Unless I'm missing something with the newer 4191 drivers, there are some unresolved compatibility issues because I can not get the kernel module to load. I also get an error saying that no usable screens were found even though I followed the exact same steps for installing the new drivers as I did the old drivers and my XF86Config-4 file has all the correct entries.

For the curious:

tar zxpvf NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-xxxx.tar.gz
cd NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-xxxx
make clean
make install
cd ..
tar NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-xxxx.tar.gz
cd NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-xxxx
make install

then ofcourse I already made a new XF86Config-4 file and switched it out with the default version after installing the drivers. Then just reboot and it loads perfectly.
Just for some reason, I can't get the new 4191 drivers to behave the same with the same steps at all.

I may try the RPM versions next, but I'm not putting much faith in those considering all the previous RPMs did not properly install and I always had to rely on the tar files to get everything installed correctly.

Last edited by HunterA3; 12-12-02 at 11:41 PM.
Old 12-13-02, 11:58 AM   #10
bwkaz

Quote:
Originally posted by HunterA3
Just for some reason, I can't get the new 4191 drivers to behave the same with the same steps at all.
FYI, the name of the kernel module changed starting with release 4191. Where it used to be called NVdriver, it's now nvidia.o, so you have to change your modules.conf alias (if there is one) to read alias <whatever it is here> nvidia instead of alias <whatever> NVdriver. I have installed the drivers on a fair number of different installations and machines where this alias does not get added to modules.conf, and I think it's because those machines lack a mktemp utility, but I'm not sure. In any case, if you had to add the alias manually before, you probably have to change it manually now. Even if you didn't have to do anything to modules.conf before, you might want to check it now just to make sure that the right alias is there (delete the older one if it's also there).

If, when the 4191 drivers are installed, you do a modprobe nvidia, do you get any relevant messages either on the console, in /var/log/messages, or in the output of dmesg that may point to the problem?