Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-11-02, 06:30 PM   #1
Mod

Question What is Final Phantasy ?

What is Final Phantasy ?

I mean, in all other RPG series, we have things in common throught them, the world, the story itself, etc. For example Chrono Cross is in the future of Chrono Trigger (more or less this). But it seems that there's no link between Final Phantasy's stories.

Can someone tell what there is in common among Final Phantasy games, in terms of story ?
Mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-02, 07:10 PM   #2
The Baron

None whatsoever. Except FFX2 is actually the real-honest-to-God sequel to FFX.
Old 12-11-02, 08:03 PM   #3
St Lobus

Send a message via ICQ to St Lobus

I had read an interview with the creator of the Final Fantasy series somewhere a while back about why they have nothing to do with each other.

The name Final Fantasy has two meanings behind it. The first one is an interesting story. Squaresoft had released a bunch of mediocre games on the NES before making it big. Each of these games flopped big time in Japan and hadn't made it to the US at all. Then the creator had the idea to create an RPG. This was to be a huge project, and was a really desparate attempt on Square's part. They pulled all their resources together for this. Knowing that if it failed, they would be looking for jobs, the deemed the game Final Fantasy. The name being a pessimistic outlook for how the game would probably sell. But as everyone can see, it succeeded.

In following the Final Fantasy lineage, they decided to give the name a new meaning, now that Square was rolling in cash and smoking 100 dollar bills like mad. They had every game deal with a specific group of characters for a single game. The only consistancies being the Crystal (Except for FF7, 8 and 10) and Mogs (again, with a couple of exceptions). Each game was supposed to be the Final Fantasy for those characters.

But now, with Final Fantasy X-2, obviously they're leaving that naming convention, too.

But, that's the most I can remember of what was said in the interview. It was neat, but it was a while ago that I read it.
Old 12-11-02, 09:05 PM   #4
thcdru2k

Send a message via ICQ to thcdru2k Send a message via AIM to thcdru2k

i'd imagine name recognition plays into their decision.

11118 3DMarks
thcdru2k is offline   Reply With Quote