Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Windows Graphics Drivers

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-05-05, 04:31 PM   #1
Rizla

Default Tv out black and white on 6600gt

I've had a geforce 4 ti4800 for years but recently bought a new xfx 6600gt.
Now, whenever i use the tv out connected to my tv the screen is black and white. When the computer boots the tv displays in colour but as soon as xp is booted the tv turns black and white. If i uninstall the driver the tv displays colour but thats no help. I am using the svideo connection not the composite. I have read the faq on the nvidia website and switched the video output format from auto select to svideo with no change and to composite which gives no signal as i am using svideo. I have tried every single signal format, (which should be l/pal for the UK) and changing to ntsc or any other varient of pal makes no change. I know my cables and tv are fine as it shows colour on boot. I think i have tried every single possability that a GUI can provide me with. My only thought is that the signal format is not correct as i am aware of this happeneing when ntsc is selected. Anyone have any ideas.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-05, 05:53 PM   #2
Subtestube
Anisymbolic

Default Re: Tv out black and white on 6600gt

I had that problem with my 6800 NU on composite for a while - it was fixed by a BIOS update. Have you tried contacting XFX?
Dr Possible: Core 2 Duo E6400 on Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4. Galaxy GeForce 7600GT. 2GB Corsair XMS 2 DDR2-6400 RAM (CL5). ATi Theatre 550 Pro. Windows XP MCE. All stored in Piano black Antec Sonata II, with a broken door.

Mobile: ASUS M2400N, Pentium M 1.5 GHz. 512 MB DDR RAM. Intel EXTREME graphics. Windows XP SP 2 / Ubuntu 5.10.

Ridiculous DOES not have an 'e' in it. It comes from "ridicule" and has less than nothing to do with the colour red.
Subtestube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-05, 07:03 PM   #3
myshkinbob

my tv-out does this in linux, check the hue and saturation levels in the tv-out properties page on the nvidia driver. My card seems to default to 0 saturation, which makes for black and white output whatever tv-out format is selected.
Core2Duo E6400 (3.0GHz@1.3v) | Gigabyte 965P-DS3 | 2x 1024MB Elixir PC6400 (Dual-Channel DDR2@1.8v) | 3x Spinpoint SATA 80GB | Gainward GeForce 8800GTS (@600/1900) | Mitsubishi DiamondPlus 93SB 19" (1600x1200@75Hz)
myshkinbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-05, 04:23 AM   #4
Rizla

Thanks for the swift reply, my HSI levels are fine but i wasn't aware you could contact XFX. I might just do that. BIOS update? I hadn't thought of that. I suppose it's worth a go considering i've exhausted the logical alternatives. Thanks people, will post back if i solve it.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-05, 11:02 AM   #5
kingmob

You don't solved it i suppose?
I'm having the EXACT same problem atm. I've looked into the bios, but it seems i can only find a bios that's older than mine . Anyone else maybe? since this is an old thread...
kingmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-05, 01:30 PM   #6
sharangad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla
I've had a geforce 4 ti4800 for years but recently bought a new xfx 6600gt.
Now, whenever i use the tv out connected to my tv the screen is black and white. When the computer boots the tv displays in colour but as soon as xp is booted the tv turns black and white. If i uninstall the driver the tv displays colour but thats no help. I am using the svideo connection not the composite. I have read the faq on the nvidia website and switched the video output format from auto select to svideo with no change and to composite which gives no signal as i am using svideo. I have tried every single signal format, (which should be l/pal for the UK) and changing to ntsc or any other varient of pal makes no change. I know my cables and tv are fine as it shows colour on boot. I think i have tried every single possability that a GUI can provide me with. My only thought is that the signal format is not correct as i am aware of this happeneing when ntsc is selected. Anyone have any ideas.

Are you connecting the S-Video output to a SCART adapter? If you are most el cheapo adapters don't tie the chrominance and luminance signals together.
sharangad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-05, 03:38 PM   #7
kingmob

Quote:
I know my cables and tv are fine as it shows colour on boot.
and
Quote:
and to composite which gives no signal as i am using svideo
There is a thread somewhere here that has as a last post that this problem was solved by a bios update. It doesn't specify any further though and noone has replied since. And i cannot find the topic anymore
Old 11-03-05, 04:17 PM   #8
gram_vaz
Cybersix

when i had this black and white problem i just ran the nvidia tv wizard in the driver panel again and it was fixed.
gram_vaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-05, 03:09 AM   #9
kingmob

It is all not so simple i'm afraid, the problem also occurs in linux for example...