Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-29-05, 03:27 AM   #1
ChrisRay

Default Everquest 2. Some thoughts. I'm still left wondering.

Everquest 2 was an expensive game to make. It's obvious when you play the game that alot of time and effort went into the presentation of the game. Not including how they used real people to model the combat arts. The voice actors, ect.

The story, the background, and the whole world is beautiful and immersive ((albeit the game does struggle on modern hardware unfortunately)) But with all this. So I thought I'd list what I consider the games weakness and highlights. I'm also curious your thoughts.

Highlights

Graphics: The Graphics in this game are bar none beautiful. Some may question its artistic style but nothing compares to this game if you play it with settings above balanced. ((As far as MMORPGS go))

Combat: Combat is just so much more interesting than it is any other MMORPG I have played. I literally feel that battling in the game is the most interesting part. My only gripe is that battles take a bit too long to reach conclusion. I shouldnt be swinging at the same NPC for 2 + minutes per creature I fight

Presentation : The presentation in this game is great, From the voice overs to amazing and fluid charactor movements, and beautiful scenery.

Story: Everquest 2 has one of the better stories I have seen. The game "Does" tell you a story when you play it. The charactors are vocal and even at the beginning of the game you are left with an idea of your place in the world and what you are to set out to do.

Cons.

System Requirements: Lets face it. This game kills modern hardware.I havent tested it on 2 6800GTs yet but on both a 6800GT and 2 6600GTs with a fairly high end computer. The game still can be very demanding and choppy at times. This can kill immersion when your struggling to just make the game playable.

Downtime: EQ 2's downtime over EQ 1 has improved significantly. But theres still too much of it. There needs to be other ways of significantly improving the downtime. After spending 2 minutes on a fight. I dont want to spend another minute waiting to be ready for the next one. Even with the best food and water. Downtime is too much.

Locked Zones: This is the biggest and most upsetting issue about EQ 2 to me. When I first played EQ 1. I had a good deal of desires to level. I'd go and explore areas and travel the world and see new things. EQ 2's world is very very confined because of the fact that zones are locked. Even by level 20 you can only go to 4 real zones ((Commonlands, Antonica, Thundering Steppes, And Nektulos)) And you have to hunt these areas forever. And you cant explore. Cant see new enemies. So heres the question. When you have no idea what awaits you. What do you have to look forward too? This is In my honest opinion something that has killed Everquest 2. When I play EQ 2 I aspire towards nothing. I play for an hour or so then log. Getting usually no where. There is just nothing in game that makes me go "Wow. I need to be level such and such"

Player Trade: Hello Sony. Forcing us to stay online to trade is completely ridiculous. My computer uses enough power and generates enough heat as is for me to want to leave it running all the time so I can sell stuff. This kills the economy and makes trading amongst players difficult. It didnt work well in EQ 1 and it doesnt work well in EQ 2. Dont force us to stay online just so we can trade amongst other players!

Oy. I have alot of high hopes for EQ 2 as well. Its still an enjoyable game but I think some of its gameplay elements and trade elements are seriously hurting right now. I know sony will "eventually" get it right and have a wonderful game. My question is. When?
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members

Last edited by ChrisRay; 03-29-05 at 03:56 AM.
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 03:34 AM   #2
Hex
Oh smeg...

Default Re: Everquest 2. Some thoughts. I'm still left wondering.

Player Trade: Hello Sony. Forcing us to stay online to trade is completely ridiculous. My computer uses enough power and generates enough heat for me to want to leave it running all the time so I can sell stuff. This kills the economy and makes trading amongst players. It didnt work well in EQ 1 and it doesnt work well in EQ 2. Dont force us to stay online just so we can trade amongst other players!

That is actually being done away with in one of the next patches.
Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 05:08 AM   #3
|MaguS|

As for locked zones, only a few are locked, but you can go to Nektulos or Thundersteeps right away... nothing is stoping you except the big bad mobs. I know for a fact you can since I just started my Betrayel quest for my Shaman...
Old 03-29-05, 05:44 AM   #4
ChrisRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbtmagus
As for locked zones, only a few are locked, but you can go to Nektulos or Thundersteeps right away... nothing is stoping you except the big bad mobs. I know for a fact you can since I just started my Betrayel quest for my Shaman...

Those zones alone arent enough to keep someone interested. One of the best things about MMORPGs is exploring new zones. You cant really do that in EQ 2. By design it does not allow you to see what lies ahead of you.
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
Old 03-29-05, 05:50 AM   #5
|MaguS|

But EQ2 by design rewards players for thier accomplishments, get a certain level and do a certain quest can you gain access to a zone that no one else could have access to unless the do it aswell.

I personally hate giving things away for free, I think EQ2 already holds you by the hand enough. Its too easy compared to other MMORPGs.
Old 03-29-05, 06:04 AM   #6
ChrisRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbtmagus
But EQ2 by design rewards players for thier accomplishments, get a certain level and do a certain quest can you gain access to a zone that no one else could have access to unless the do it aswell.

I personally hate giving things away for free, I think EQ2 already holds you by the hand enough. Its too easy compared to other MMORPGs.

Going to a standard outdoor hunting zone is not a reward. I completely disagree with this. If the game was engineered towards high end content being locked. I would agree. But 85% of EQ 2 is off limits to the player until they reach certain points. I think that is ridiculous. EQ 2 has nothing to aspire towards. Theres no exploration factor. The simple fact is. Not everyone wants to spend all there time grinding and leveling. And a game engineered that way will not be fun to people who seek the exploration factor of a game.

WoW for instance locks you from instances and areas. But you are not locked from exploring the World. Do you get slaughtered constantly for explorin well under your level? Yes. And that is more than enough. You see it as a reward. I see it as a timesink. Which is exactly what it is. Another timesink designed to slow progression and exploration down.

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

Old 03-29-05, 06:18 AM   #7
|MaguS|

85% of EQ2 is not locked, if anything I would say there is more unlocked then locked. There are many dungeons within other zones, like Wailing Caves or Blackburrow. These allow are also big in size and can house many different levels of adventurers.

While uber high zones are locked they do it so extremely low people don't go in and then bitch that the zone is hard to navigate or explore because of the high level mobs.

Ever play EQ1? So many people complained about having to travel through the Karanas and later Velious because of the wandering mobs that agroed all the time. Does this limit us because many other people are retards? Ya but eh, I can deal with it. The zones I do have access to are large enough for me to not get bored in, I have yet to see all of Nektulos and Thundersteps...

Downtime is needed, go play WoW if you want to power through everything without rest... I actually liked EQ1's more, I loved the feeling that I had to manage my mana insted of having to wait a min and it would be full again. EQ1 brought more danger that way aswell.

I guess im just to old fashioned, I miss the difficulties of EQ1. It was a game that required alot of skill to excel in your class. Im hoping EQ2 in the high end is more like EQ1, if not my last hope is Vanguards... Its created by old Verant members.
Old 03-29-05, 06:32 AM   #8
ChrisRay

Quote:
85% of EQ2 is not locked, if anything I would say there is more unlocked then locked. There are many dungeons within other zones, like Wailing Caves or Blackburrow. These allow are also big in size and can house many different levels of adventurers.
These are all pre 20 zones. Level 20 + areas are not what I'd call "uber" zones. Heck most classes have just recieved there final classes. At level 20 I feel I am punished because I cant go to permafrost. If I die trying to explore an area. Then thats the risk of doing so at a low level.

Quote:
Ever play EQ1? So many people complained about having to travel through the Karanas and later Velious because of the wandering mobs that agroed all the time. Does this limit us because many other people are retards? Ya but eh, I can deal with it. The zones I do have access to are large enough for me to not get bored in, I have yet to see all of Nektulos and Thundersteps...
The big difference is. Nothing forced them to do so. And it was entirely possible to travel through velious without aggroing a bunch of creatures even as a level 10. Everquest 1 did not make a habit of locking zones. Unless they were raid content or high level material. I dont consider Enchante Lands a high level area. I consider it a mid level area that is locked for no deserving reason other than to force players to reach a certain level or do a long and boring timesink quest.

The difference here is you have the option. What you described is not any different than other game out there really. Except EQ 2 locks you out. I just cant see a good reason for it. There was a risk to travel back in these days. But it was possible. Now it's not in EQ 2. And I think thats an ultimate shame because of how good the engine looks and alot of old players want to see whats happened to Shattered Norrath.

Quote:
guess im just to old fashioned, I miss the difficulties of EQ1. It was a game that required alot of skill to excel in your class. Im hoping EQ2 in the high end is more like EQ1, if not my last hope is Vanguards... Its created by old Verant members.

See, I think theres a fine line between difficulty and timesink/boredom unplayability. With the original EQ before expansions. Everquest 1 wasnt difficult. It was remarkably easy for alot of classes. Hunt guards/giants/lguk/SolB in groups. But there was not enough content to really play the game. and you'd usually find yourself "waiting" for spawns to just get experience. I very much remember these days rather unfondly I might add.

Kunark was an expansion that added alot of playability by actually providing players 1-50 the content they needed to level/play. Of course 50-60 had alot of the same problems during the Kunark. Bottlenecking players is not a way to make the game difficult. Sony learned this in EQ 1 with later expansion. I hope verant is smart enough to realise this. There are plenty of ways to keep the player base challenged and intrigued by not making things impossible.

Quote:
Downtime is needed, go play WoW if you want to power through everything without rest... I actually liked EQ1's more, I loved the feeling that I had to manage my mana insted of having to wait a min and it would be full again. EQ1 brought more danger that way aswell.
This is extremely exxagerated. World of Warcraft has a huge experience curve as you raise in levels. Downtime isnt needed "If" the game is properly configured to take downtime into account for the experience curve. To get 1 level in WoW in the post 30's can take 8-9 hours of grinding experience ((30's are comparable to EQ 2's 20)) And it only gets worse as you get higher level.. It's no different than EQ 2. But the difference being is you are constantly playing. And you have the ability to move from mob to mob without having to sit and twiddle your thumbs. Thats not fun. A game can be designed with with low downtime in mind for constant action and "Still" have a large experience curve.

Actually. Everquest 1 is similar as well. You can level the first 20 levels in about 15 hours in EQ 1. And the next 5 in about 10. And the experience curve goes up. You just have to hunt in the right places with the right experience bonus. The only difference in EQ 1 has extreme downtime.

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

Old 03-29-05, 11:27 AM   #9
EciDemon

Send a message via ICQ to EciDemon

I love this game.

Gfx looks good but it's a tad slow on my puter so ill have to buy a new mobo and a cpu.
Voice acting is very good i think. Much better then I expected.
There are still many issues with various things, There seem to be some memory leaks going on, after a few hours of play zoning gets much slower and running in town is terrible.
A few mobs are still broken, Like bats we tried to kill for a friends writ. I could not get agro on him with my taunts, he just flew around like nothing when i taunted and fired arrows on him.

To my big suprice giants can kill me in Thundering stepps. Im a lvl 32 guardian now with good equipment and every now and then there will be a lvl 26^^ who can kill me very fast (It's actually a spell casting giant but you cant tell them apart from the rest of them as they share the same looks and name as normal lvl 26^^'s whom of course can not hurt me at all). So there are issues with balance I think. In my mid 25's i never saw them, and ive been soloing them before too without problems, so this have appeard very recently to my knollage (else ive just been very lucky i guess)

The selling system i like the way it is now.
Its better then ive seen in many other games where your character enter "merchant" mode and sitts where ever he wants to sell his loot (so you still had to leave your puter on). Popular camping places for merchants would be town squares where there would be thousands of players generating an humongous amount of lag. So Eq2 is nice clean and easy. I love the broker feature. Thats smart i think.
It dosent make sense to be able to sell things when your not there selling it I think.

I love the fights, Heroic opertunities are the coolest thing ever and it really makes a difference if used correctly. This is not just some hack 'n slash, Taking on tough mobs takes time and requiers stratigies in the group and that makes it all so much more interesting.

Every day server downtime is terrible, here in sweden they bring down the server mid day time and that suxx. Tho I do like they frequent updates and fixes to the game but they do fail to list all things in the change log you see in your inlog screen
*ive noticed some of my buff's will not refresh when i cast them they will simply cansle the active one and the skill can not be used for what ever time it takes for it to cool, like the Allay skill for example, but others too*

We need more looks on armors i think, especially Tower shields (as a tank ive been looking at the same shield on my back forever!)

There are lots of things I like here and also things i think needs to be fixed, but this is just from the top of my head.
EciDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 02:16 PM   #10
TheTaz

As the Assistant Site Manager of EQ 2 Vault... I can address some of these for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRay
System Requirements: Lets face it. This game kills modern hardware.I havent tested it on 2 6800GTs yet but on both a 6800GT and 2 6600GTs with a fairly high end computer. The game still can be very demanding and choppy at times. This can kill immersion when your struggling to just make the game playable.
The engine was designed to last several years. No Machine can play with everything maxxed. That said, I agree that the game uses too much resources vs. the eye candy you get. EQ 2 is very CPU intensive, as well... so you will be running into a lot of "CPU bound issues", even with Dual 6800 Ultra's in SLI. Hopefully, between optimizations of the engine over time, and possible support for dual core CPU's, this will improve.
Quote:
Downtime: EQ 2's downtime over EQ 1 has improved significantly. But theres still too much of it. There needs to be other ways of significantly improving the downtime. After spending 2 minutes on a fight. I dont want to spend another minute waiting to be ready for the next one. Even with the best food and water. Downtime is too much.
Well, it's not an action game. With the best food an water the downtime is comparable to just about any other "Casual Friendly" MMORPG, except Guild Wars. But Guild Wars isn't a full MMORPG, either. Downtime, generally, is not a frequent complaint seen on the Official forums nor the forums of large fansites like the Vault. So I kind of doubt you'll see much improvement there.
Quote:
Locked Zones: This is the biggest and most upsetting issue about EQ 2 to me. When I first played EQ 1. I had a good deal of desires to level. I'd go and explore areas and travel the world and see new things. EQ 2's world is very very confined because of the fact that zones are locked. Even by level 20 you can only go to 4 real zones ((Commonlands, Antonica, Thundering Steppes, And Nektulos)) And you have to hunt these areas forever. And you cant explore. Cant see new enemies. So heres the question. When you have no idea what awaits you. What do you have to look forward too? This is In my honest opinion something that has killed Everquest 2. When I play EQ 2 I aspire towards nothing. I play for an hour or so then log. Getting usually no where. There is just nothing in game that makes me go "Wow. I need to be level such and such"
They are working on pretty much eliminating "locked zones" as you put it. At least, as far as grouping requirements go. I gather there will still be some zones that you still have to complete a quest for, before you are able to access them. They are also adding many instanced zones for both soloers and groupers. The game is becoming more solo / duo friendly almost every week.
Quote:
Player Trade: Hello Sony. Forcing us to stay online to trade is completely ridiculous. My computer uses enough power and generates enough heat as is for me to want to leave it running all the time so I can sell stuff. This kills the economy and makes trading amongst players difficult. It didnt work well in EQ 1 and it doesnt work well in EQ 2. Dont force us to stay online just so we can trade amongst other players!
This is also getting eliminated.
First they are making it so you don't have to stay in your house to sell.
Soon they will allow offline selling, as well.

Ask SOE #33

Read the last question.
Quote:
Oy. I have alot of high hopes for EQ 2 as well. Its still an enjoyable game but I think some of its gameplay elements and trade elements are seriously hurting right now. I know sony will "eventually" get it right and have a wonderful game. My question is. When?
They are working on it. They realize that "forced grouping" and some of the restrictions they imposed, was a mistake. I will venture to guess that most of this will be addressed before the first full expansion is released.

This, by far, is not the same attitude that the EQ 1 devs had. Of course, EQ 1 didn't have much competition, when it was launched, and those devs could afford to be tyrants. EQ 2 Devs, basically can't afford that luxury.

Regards,

Taz

Last edited by TheTaz; 03-29-05 at 02:29 PM.
TheTaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 02:18 PM   #11
Ghosthunter

I have been playing since day one of release and I am still highly addicted. Though I can say I dont have that urge to play way past my bedtime like I use to with EQ1, and I think that is because EQ1 sometimes it took forever to get a group going and you dont want to log only after an hour.

In EQ2 I can find a group fairly easily and if not solo is the option though it really is slowing down 30+ but at leat I got the option.

For me I dont think downtime is too bad at all. Especially with the right tier player crafted food. Maybe because I am a wizard and can convert health to mana...I have literally no downtime when I solo.

In groups have a lot less downtime as well as long as everyone is using player crafted quality food.

I dont want the game to be that easy if it was I would probably be bored within a month or two.

Though I have to agree about locked zones. I truly hate them. I hated them in EQ1 with PoP. I see why they do it in EQ2...but it gets real annoying after a while.

As far as tradeskills go, for a while they truly mucked up the entire system, and I still disagree with how they made changes instead of using a hammer they used a bulldozer. But with the new mail system, and the new imbues and special items, tradeskills is coming back alive. There is now a T5 market...though the bad thing as a 50 alchemist...there are way too many of us, because we were needed so bad before.
G.Skill 16 GB Ram DDR3-1600
EVGA GTX 680 SC
Crucial M4 128 GB SSD
2x Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint 7200 RPM SATA HD103SJ
WD SE16 7200 RPM SATA 640 GB
SAMSUNG 22X SATA DVD Burner
CORSAIR 750TX PSU
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B
Asus 25 inch VE258Q
Win7x64
Ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 03:34 PM   #12
nrdstrm

For me...I don't know what it is...But I am completely sucked in. Yes there are little faults I find from time to time, but none are gamebreakers for me. There has never been a game where I play 3-6 hours EVERY DAY. I do in EQ2. I happened to have found a great guild, and the core players in my guild are very near my level (34-41...I am 36 ATM).
As for the locked zone, I kind of like it. You get the zones at a certain level, but I wanted to see them so badly, I did the access quests instead. I can't tell you the feeling of accomplishment i had when I finally finished Zek Boat Ride and stepped on to the docks in Zek. Started running around picking up all the quests and was able to do some of them at my level. I was amazed at the loot/quest items/coin given out! I have Zek, EL, and Feerrott done. About to start Everfrost and Lavastorm. Another thing I find VERY fun is grouping with guild members and doing Heritage quests. We usually do these on Sunday's and one can take 4-8 hours depending on how much "prequest" work we've done. Anyway, sorry for rambling...

Nrdstrm
nrdstrm is offline   Reply With Quote