Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-22-05, 04:04 PM   #37
Riptide

Default Re: Official Windows XP64 Thread

It all depends on whether your hardware is supported. So far for me the switch has been nearly painless. Other than a few issues with the ATI drivers (WDM support specifically) it's been pretty much perfect for me. Games and benchmarks all work fine and don't appear to run any slower. I get errors in event viewer when I launch 3dmark01/03/05 but it runs fine. Minor stuff really.

The big hangup comes with printer and scanner support. If your vendor doesn't have a 64bit compliant driver out and if MS doesn't support it natively then well.. yer screwed.

BTW after installing right out of the box all my hardware was supported natively AND there were absolutely ZERO updates to install at windowsupdate.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-05, 06:14 PM   #38
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomy942
yeah!! i got my correct COA and now i have mine ordered! wohoo!!
Good luck. I have still yet to get mine!
jAkUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-05, 01:43 AM   #39
j0j081

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide
It all depends on whether your hardware is supported. So far for me the switch has been nearly painless. Other than a few issues with the ATI drivers (WDM support specifically) it's been pretty much perfect for me. Games and benchmarks all work fine and don't appear to run any slower. I get errors in event viewer when I launch 3dmark01/03/05 but it runs fine. Minor stuff really.

The big hangup comes with printer and scanner support. If your vendor doesn't have a 64bit compliant driver out and if MS doesn't support it natively then well.. yer screwed.

BTW after installing right out of the box all my hardware was supported natively AND there were absolutely ZERO updates to install at windowsupdate.
What errors do you get? I'm getting some while playing CS:S and wonder if they are related.
j0j081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-05, 08:18 AM   #40
Riptide

No errors while playing CS:S. The error comes up when you run ATI's installer for the driver.
Old 05-23-05, 05:02 PM   #41
OWA

Quote:

Thanks for the info. I think I'll try to order an OEM copy instead of trading my license and then dual-boot for now. I saw earlier that there is a beta driver that may work with my HP all-in-one but since it's not official, I'm a little leery of it.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-05, 12:51 AM   #42
Riptide

Does anyone who has XP64 loaded get Event ID 10016 showing up in event viewer under system? I get that showing up after a fresh install, even before installing a single program other than the OS. The troubleshooting info I've found on www.eventid.net hasn't been helpful. I've already called Microsoft and they gave me a hotfix but it won't install. I might call them back tomorrow but I'm curious to see if anyone else gets this showing up.
Old 05-25-05, 02:21 PM   #43
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

okay, i went ahead and reinstalled the trial version cause i want to get the feel for this os by the time my copy i bought from MS gets here.

so far, doom 3 works fine, and it even installed fine. guild wars works too. i cant use deamon tools, so i am using iso buster. the avast AV actually isnt too bad cause it uses less memory than symantec (17 meg vs 27 meg)while it is running. all my apps so far have had no troubles. and diskkeeper didnt work, but o&o defrag works great. as i lpay around with it more i'll keep updating here
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-05, 08:00 PM   #44
j0j081

Quote:
Does anyone who has XP64 loaded get Event ID 10016 showing up in event viewer under system? I get that showing up after a fresh install, even before installing a single program other than the OS. The troubleshooting info I've found on www.eventid.net hasn't been helpful. I've already called Microsoft and they gave me a hotfix but it won't install. I might call them back tomorrow but I'm curious to see if anyone else gets this showing up.
What is the error regarding? I don't have time to read up on it right now but had some kind of error a few days back and got rid of it by changing a certain driver.
j0j081 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-05, 01:10 PM   #45
intercede007
American

Send a message via ICQ to intercede007 Send a message via AIM to intercede007 Send a message via MSN to intercede007 Send a message via Yahoo to intercede007

Quote:
This worked for a friend of mine under XP. YMMV

1. Open the registry and go to “HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{<CLSID in the event message>} to find out friendly name of this component. In my case, this is "Machine Debug Manager” (CLSID: 0C0A3666-30C9-11D0-8F20-00805F2CD064).
2. Go to Component Services via Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Components Services. Expand the Component Services branch then expand “Computers”, “My Computer”, and “DCOM Config”. Right-click on "Machine Debug Manager" (or whatever your CLSID represents) and choose Properties. Click on the Security tab and under “Launch and Activation Permissions” select “Use Default”. Click OK, close the Component Services window. The error should disappear now
intercede007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-05, 03:36 PM   #46
Riptide

Thanks man, and I have followed those instructions already but to no avail. If I follow the CLSID that shows up it indicates Shell Hardware Detection. Well, that is not something that shows up under Component Services/DCOM config so there is no way to change launch and activation permissions.

Shell Hardware Detection is a service, however, but stopping and starting it makes no difference. If I try and have it use a local user account instead of the local system account (for instance change it to use administrator) it causes other problems and doesn't fix the original issue.

In the end I rebuilt my machine. And it started doing it again before I even loaded a single program. So I started over once more and it seems to have gone away, why I have no idea. I do know that if it comes back again I will call Microsoft because I have busted my rear looking for a fix on the web but can't find it.
Old 05-27-05, 09:06 AM   #47
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

well, so far everything has been working. i cant really tell a difference between the 2 versions of windows. all my games work and all that stuff.
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-05, 09:18 AM   #48
Riptide

Other than the few minor issues I've brought forth all my stuff has worked very well. I'm really rather impressed. If you think about it, maintaining such seamless compatibility between the two versions (xp32/xp64) is an accomplishment MS should be given some credit for.