OWA

Default Re: Official Windows XP64 Thread

No, but thanks, I'll give that a shot.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-05, 09:35 PM   #86
Gator
Unreal Tournament Gamer

I installed XP64 last night and it's working great so far. Took me a while to figure out why UT2K4 wouldn't work, because I never reinstall it I just use a REG file when I redo windows. And I wanna run it from me my XP32 partition to save space, but it turned out I needed to move the entires under the Wow6432Node key. UT2K4 is fine now and seems smooth, however UT99 is running kinda crappy so I'll have to figure that one out.

The drivers I did install worked fine so far... Nforce from Guru3d, Dets, Realtek audio, and I downloaded NOD32 Beta which claims to be x64 compatible so I have a working antivirus too. I've noticed a few bugs in the detonator drivers though, mostly with Nview. Hopefully those will get corrected.

The boot menu was easy. All I did was use PQ Magic to create a 15gig primary NTFS partition, boot with the XP64 cd, and it took care of the rest. I then set XP32 to the default OS after 5 seconds, and I'm good to go. And I'm not worried about the small partition, I have 11gigs free on it, and any programs I wanna run can be installed on the XP32 partition without concern. I may even make the XP64 partition a little smaller to conserve space for XP32. Only drivers really need to reside on the boot drive anyway.

I already know a few programs have trouble with XP64, I'll have to experiment some more, and so I'm not ready to make it my primary OS. But at least I finally get to play with the 64bit capability of the CPU I purchased back in June 2004.

One more thing, I'm not sure how many people bother with DOS programs, but I still use one... Random House Dictionary and Thesaurus for DOS. I know there are websites for this thing, but I still like this old program. Anyway for those who don't already know, try out DOS BOX for your DOS emulation needs.

And why MS doesn't have 16bit support in XP64 I don't understand. They gave DOS legacy support in XP32... so why not continue the trend?

Anyways, just thought I'd give my feedback. Interesting so far
Old 07-12-05, 01:29 AM   #87
j0j081

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator
I installed XP64 last night and it's working great so far. Took me a while to figure out why UT2K4 wouldn't work, because I never reinstall it I just use a REG file when I redo windows. And I wanna run it from me my XP32 partition to save space, but it turned out I needed to move the entires under the Wow6432Node key. UT2K4 is fine now and seems smooth, however UT99 is running kinda crappy so I'll have to figure that one out.

The drivers I did install worked fine so far... Nforce from Guru3d, Dets, Realtek audio, and I downloaded NOD32 Beta which claims to be x64 compatible so I have a working antivirus too. I've noticed a few bugs in the detonator drivers though, mostly with Nview. Hopefully those will get corrected.

The boot menu was easy. All I did was use PQ Magic to create a 15gig primary NTFS partition, boot with the XP64 cd, and it took care of the rest. I then set XP32 to the default OS after 5 seconds, and I'm good to go. And I'm not worried about the small partition, I have 11gigs free on it, and any programs I wanna run can be installed on the XP32 partition without concern. I may even make the XP64 partition a little smaller to conserve space for XP32. Only drivers really need to reside on the boot drive anyway.

I already know a few programs have trouble with XP64, I'll have to experiment some more, and so I'm not ready to make it my primary OS. But at least I finally get to play with the 64bit capability of the CPU I purchased back in June 2004.

One more thing, I'm not sure how many people bother with DOS programs, but I still use one... Random House Dictionary and Thesaurus for DOS. I know there are websites for this thing, but I still like this old program. Anyway for those who don't already know, try out DOS BOX for your DOS emulation needs.

And why MS doesn't have 16bit support in XP64 I don't understand. They gave DOS legacy support in XP32... so why not continue the trend?

Anyways, just thought I'd give my feedback. Interesting so far
I just upgraded to 77.72 Forceware tonight and they are much smoother than old version.
j0j081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-05, 09:49 AM   #88
Riptide

I for one am glad to see 16bit support go. At some point backwards compatibility just needs to go out the window. 16bit programs are history for 99% of us.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-05, 11:53 AM   #89
Gator
Unreal Tournament Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide
I for one am glad to see 16bit support go. At some point backwards compatibility just needs to go out the window. 16bit programs are history for 99% of us.
But what purpose does it serve to remove it? Does it really take that much effort to keep it in the software?
Old 07-12-05, 12:37 PM   #90
Riptide

It evidently served some purpose or they wouldn't have done it. There was some benefit from doing so. I don't know the ins/outs but it's a safe assumption that it just adds more overhead in some form or another that really isn't needed any more.

MS-DOS died a long time ago. It almost feels like a galaxy far far away now.
Time to bury it.
Old 07-12-05, 01:32 PM   #91
Gator
Unreal Tournament Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide
It evidently served some purpose or they wouldn't have done it. There was some benefit from doing so. I don't know the ins/outs but it's a safe assumption that it just adds more overhead in some form or another that really isn't needed any more.

MS-DOS died a long time ago. It almost feels like a galaxy far far away now.
Time to bury it.

Well... at least I have DOSBOX, which is not only good for DOS apps, but also allows you to install Win3.1 for 16bit apps. DOSBOX is blessedly free, and unlike Virtual PC it works perfectly fine with XP64.

EDIT: DOSBOX won't run Win3.1 for me I don't know why yet.
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...916#post651916

EDIT 2: Got it working

Last edited by Gator; 07-13-05 at 02:06 PM.
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-05, 01:45 PM   #92
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

And.. 4 months later, my order is STILL not fufilled. My god MS, this is ridiculous. All I want is a legit copy! Seems like they want me to pirate..

Old 07-12-05, 01:54 PM   #93
Gator
Unreal Tournament Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAkUp
And.. 4 months later, my order is STILL not fufilled. My god MS, this is ridiculous. All I want is a legit copy! Seems like they want me to pirate..
If they don't wanna play ball, come talk to me for... advice.
Old 07-12-05, 03:30 PM   #94
jolle

Quote:
But what purpose does it serve to remove it? Does it really take that much effort to keep it in the software?
Not really sure, but I think they did some serious spring cleaning with x64.
tore out all the legacy stuff thats just been sitting there since NT and that has sort of been forgotten.. and with that, the 16bit support.
I guess it might have been needed a complete rewrite perhaps?
anyhow, I think the result is a somewhat more stable and secure OS.
Just a vague memory of reading that somewhere..

You can look at like this.
XP : 32bit with Legacy 16bit support
XP x64 : 64bit with "Legacy" 32bit Support (WoW)

hehe, still good DOSBOX is around tho.
Ive usually stayed with ScummVM, since all dos apps I want to run are games compatible with it..
Old 07-12-05, 04:01 PM   #95
Riptide

Look at it this way. This is not a perfect example, but worth noting.

When Apple releases OSX for Intel they are not going to have any Mac classic compatibility in there any longer. They could do it if they wanted, but it would cost time/money to maintain that sort of compatibility. The situation is the same with XP. Whenever MS continues to press forward with new versions of their OS maintaining this backwards compatibility, which is of questionable value at this point, it costs resources and increases cost of development and also to the consumer. If they can get rid of it then they will and it does make sense to bury MS-DOS at this point.
Old 07-12-05, 05:44 PM   #96
j0j081

Quote:
It serves the purpose of bringing forward newer technology which of course leads to better things but also MORE MONEY!
j0j081 is offline   Reply With Quote