Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-11-05, 09:33 AM   #13
Nv40
Agent-Fx

Default Re: My Indepth Comparison of WoW verses EQ2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRay
Neither Wow or EQ 2 really suffer this problem. As a matter of fact. I'd say EQ 2 is "More" likely to suffer this problem than WoW. But that would be nitpicking and It's not something worth complaining about. EQ 2 and WoW offer very unique content around the world. Are textures sometimes reused? Of course both games have that happened. But the actual zone layouts are very well thought out. You cant think of its as a dynamically random generated world with small discrepencies between land masses. Each area is quite unique.
Nice to know that then..
TExtures ofcourse could be reused wood is wood, however when the graphics averall looks suspiciously similar , between diferent levels or worlds ,with smaller diferences ,then there might be some kind of copy/paste somewhere . This migh be dificult to observe ,but the best way to notice this is if the level1 you are playing now looks completely diferent place than level 2 and 3.. etc.. another way is if you notice "rushed levels" that are too empty. the opposite is complex levels with an insane amount variety and detail. something like Farcry outdoors Really looking for more MMORPG games comparison from you SIr.

Last edited by Nv40; 05-11-05 at 10:29 AM.
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-05, 10:20 AM   #14
|MaguS|

No, Its Not A Mmorpg!
Old 05-11-05, 10:21 AM   #15
pingu2

honestly EQ2 game does definitely change at some point in the levelling process - the whole feel of the game and what youre doing changes (well it did for me anyway).. you go from short groups or solo play to knowing the people you play with each time and you start doing much more involved (heritage and zone access) quests.. you enter great new zones like obelisk of lost souls, cazic-thule temple, lavastorm and solusek's eye (these are my 4 favourite zones).. you become more dependent on other players and your guild.. assuming you have good friends or a good guild in the game, it immeasurably improves as you proceed through the 30's and 40's

sorry to say, but in my eyes the version of EQ2 that I play doesn't start until 35+

oh and yeah I hate tradeskills too! I want to be out killing giants and dragons not making sandwiches back at the soup-kitchen!
pingu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-05, 10:48 AM   #16
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeero1978
is Guild Wars comparable to EQ2 or WOW?
Not at all, it's a completely different kind of game.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-05, 10:59 AM   #17
EciDemon

Send a message via ICQ to EciDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingu2
honestly EQ2 game does definitely change at some point in the levelling process - the whole feel of the game and what youre doing changes (well it did for me anyway).. you go from short groups or solo play to knowing the people you play with each time and you start doing much more involved (heritage and zone access) quests.. you enter great new zones like obelisk of lost souls, cazic-thule temple, lavastorm and solusek's eye (these are my 4 favourite zones).. you become more dependent on other players and your guild.. assuming you have good friends or a good guild in the game, it immeasurably improves as you proceed through the 30's and 40's

sorry to say, but in my eyes the version of EQ2 that I play doesn't start until 35+

oh and yeah I hate tradeskills too! I want to be out killing giants and dragons not making sandwiches back at the soup-kitchen!
I fully agree with this. at lvl 34 i began to pickup heretige quests with friends. Now my main character is lvl 40 and the fun really begins.
I agree, at lvl 32 you havent seen that much yet. And me at lvl 40, I havent seen it all yet. Can't wait til i get to everfrost and lavastorm!
EciDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-05, 11:47 AM   #18
Nv40
Agent-Fx

Quote:
is Guild Wars comparable to EQ2 or WOW?
Yes.. because Guildwars combines some of the best gameplay elements of those games without the montly fee.ANd the new game competes with them to steal some of their userbase. and ALready have seen a couple of reviews comparing them. Just because Madonna and britney spears look diferent doesnt mean you can't compare them .,ofcourse the people with very low observational skills will not be able to compare even two identical games.

Last edited by Nv40; 05-11-05 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-11-05, 11:50 AM   #19
|MaguS|

^ You show your lack of knowledge of a MMORPG. The only thing that GW has incommon with EQ2 and WoW is that its online only... other then that nothing else considering its NOT MASSIVE.
Old 05-11-05, 12:01 PM   #20
Nv40
Agent-Fx

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbtmagus
^ You show your lack of knowledge of a MMORPG. The only thing that GW has incommon with EQ2 and WoW is that its online only... other then that nothing else considering its NOT MASSIVE.

So lets see.. just because One is more massive.. means they can't be compared? Even thought the gameplay is similar in many ways.

I will not like to see a review from you the day FPS games use some elements of RTS and RPG games..and MORPG you will not be able even to play the game.less explain it to your audience.because thats the way future games will be done. mixing the best elements of others style of games.

Last edited by Nv40; 05-11-05 at 12:17 PM.

Old 05-11-05, 12:11 PM   #21
Tr1cK
not coming back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosthunter
To me I just dont see how you can review a game when you have not reached high enough level to experience most of the content. It like reviewing HL2, but only playing the first few levels and leaving out the rest. Were you in a guild? I noticed you dont talk about how the guilds work in EQ2. Being in a guild makes a huge difference in fun IMO.
I don't see how you can justify grinding through 30+ levels before the game gets "fun." In WoW, I have a blast even with low level new characters, especially if I haven't played that class or race before.

Guilds or clans or any cooperative play in any game will make it a much more enjoyable experience.

I think this is a to-each-their-own sorta thing. I enjoy WoW becuase I can level at a decent rate, play with a ton of real life friends who have it, and it runs with no problems on my system.
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-05, 12:17 PM   #22
Tr1cK
not coming back

Quote:
this is taken from their website...

"Is Guild Wars an MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game)?

Guild Wars has some similarities to existing MMORPGs, but it also has some key differences. Like existing MMOs, Guild Wars is played entirely online in a secure hosted environment. Thousands of players inhabit the same virtual world. Players can meet new friends in gathering places like towns and outposts where they form parties and go questing with them. Unlike many MMOs, when players form a party and embark upon a quest in Guild Wars, they get their own private copy of the area where the quest takes place. This design eliminates some of the frustrating gameplay elements commonly associated with MMOs, such as spawn camping, kill stealing, and lines to complete a quest.

Guild Wars takes place in a large virtual world made up of many different zones, and players can walk from one end of the world to the other. In Guild Wars much of the tedium of traveling through the world has been eliminated. Players can instantly return to any safe area (town or outpost) that they have previously visited just by clicking on it in the world overview map.

Rather than labeling Guild Wars an MMORPG, we prefer to call it a CORPG (Competitive Online Role-Playing Game). Guild Wars was designed from the ground up to create the best possible competitive role-playing experience. Success in Guild Wars is always the result of player skill, not time spent playing or the size of one's guild. As characters progress, they acquire a diverse set of skills and items, enabling them to use new strategies in combat. Players can do battle in open arenas or compete in guild-vs-guild warfare or the international tournament. Engaging in combat is always the player's choice, however; there is no player-killing in cooperative areas of the world.

Finally, unlike existing MMOs, all characters in Guild Wars inhabit the same virtual world -- they are not divided onto different servers or shards -- so players can always team up with or compete against any other player in the world."

http://www.guildwars.com/faq/default.html
Sounds kinda like a butchered version of WoW. You know, instances, battlegrounds, pvp and all. I think this game will bust before too long.
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-05, 12:24 PM   #23
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nv40
So lets see.. just because One is more massive.. means they can't be compared? Even thought the gameplay is similar in many ways.

I will not like to see a review from you the day FPS games use some elements of RTS and RPG games..and MORPG you will not be able even to play the game.less explain it to your audience.because thats the way future games will be done. mixing the best elements of others style of games.
No they still can't GW only allows you in the mission areas if you are part taking in a mission/quest. You can randomly walk around in one and kill monsters without having a quest/mission. You are limited severly also to amount of poeple onscreen at a single time. If you want to compare GW to anything compare it to Diablo and Sacred... they are literally identical in the gameplay aspect...
Old 05-11-05, 12:46 PM   #24
anzak

Quote:
a WoW without the monthly fees...
No its not. Guild Wars is not like anything I've played and personally, I didn't like it.

Very good compairson. The main thing that drove me away from EQ2 was the lack of interaction with other people early on and huge framerate drops at "balanced" settings. I didn't have either of these problems in WoW.

Getting a bit off topic, but do you have any horde characters Chris? If so, what realm are they on? I've got a 43 Undead Mage on Shadowsong (which seems to be down less than other servers).
anzak is offline   Reply With Quote