Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-11-05, 11:53 AM   #25
Ghosthunter

Default Re: My Indepth Comparison of WoW verses EQ2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr1cK
I don't see how you can justify grinding through 30+ levels before the game gets "fun." In WoW, I have a blast even with low level new characters, especially if I haven't played that class or race before.

Guilds or clans or any cooperative play in any game will make it a much more enjoyable experience.

I think this is a to-each-their-own sorta thing. I enjoy WoW becuase I can level at a decent rate, play with a ton of real life friends who have it, and it runs with no problems on my system.

I never said EQ2 was better then WoW or vice versa...was just saying there are different parts of the game just like it was in EQ1 at different levels. ..and people keep using the word grind...confusing it with EQ1...if you get into a guild and make friends...and do heritage quests and guild events..it not a grind....but some people prefer to play it that way. I guess each its own. me if i am just killing things without a reason I am bored I like the quest system in EQ2 and only do quests.
G.Skill 16 GB Ram DDR3-1600
EVGA GTX 680 SC
Crucial M4 128 GB SSD
2x Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint 7200 RPM SATA HD103SJ
WD SE16 7200 RPM SATA 640 GB
SAMSUNG 22X SATA DVD Burner
CORSAIR 750TX PSU
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B
Asus 25 inch VE258Q
Win7x64
Ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-05, 12:27 PM   #26
Tr1cK
not coming back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosthunter
I never said EQ2 was better then WoW or vice versa...was just saying there are different parts of the game just like it was in EQ1 at different levels. ..and people keep using the word grind...confusing it with EQ1...if you get into a guild and make friends...and do heritage quests and guild events..it not a grind....but some people prefer to play it that way. I guess each its own. me if i am just killing things without a reason I am bored I like the quest system in EQ2 and only do quests.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosthunter
unfortunately you have not seen any of the high level zones, so your review is kind of not fair IMO Your highest level is 32? 32 IMO is when the game really opens up and when I really started to enjoy my wizard. If you made it to 45+ you would see what I mean.
Well, I'm not saying one is better than the other either, but you did say that you didn't enjoy your wizard until 32. Personally, I have never played EQ2 and I wouldn't deal with it if I didn't enjoy myself for 32 levels. I do find WoW enjoyable from begining til end, especially doing quests with my guildmates or real life friends.

The games are so much alike in the general aspect of things and that's why I say to each their own.

slightly off topic: I wonder if we could make threads based solely on grouping in game? Like start a MMORPG section under games and post to see what servers we are on.
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-05, 01:04 PM   #27
nrdstrm

Great review Chris. I can not comment on WOW as much, because I only played the beta and didn't level very high. I can say that my 2 favorite (and most varied) zones are Everfrost and Lavastorm. I havn't been to Soulsek's Eye yet (spelling?), but I hear its amazing. I am currently a 45 zerker, and the content is seriously kicking ass...And PVP is coming
Nrdstrm
PS. I would love to have an MMORPG sub forum....Mods?
nrdstrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-05, 01:54 PM   #28
Sidric
Evil Clown Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrdstrm
PS. I would love to have an MMORPG sub forum....Mods?
I second . . .er third that.
[CPU]Intel Q6600 w/ TR Ultra-120 Extreme @ 3GHz
[Mobo]EVGA nForce 680i
[Memory]OCZ PC2-8500 4GB
[GPU] BFG GTX 260
[Sound] ASUS Sonar Dx
[HDD]
--WD Raptor 150GBx2(Raid 0 Striped)--
--Seagate Barrucuda 300GB--
[OS]Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
[Monitor]Gateway FPD2485W

Live/Xfire/PSN: SidRic SteamID: 3_gh05t_3
Sidric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-05, 06:18 PM   #29
Nv40
Agent-Fx

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbtmagus
No they still can't GW only allows you in the mission areas if you are part taking in a mission/quest. You can randomly walk around in one and kill monsters without having a quest/mission. You are limited severly also to amount of poeple onscreen at a single time. If you want to compare GW to anything compare it to Diablo and Sacred... they are literally identical in the gameplay aspect...

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrank...eviewid=548395

Quote:
Watch out Blizzard, Guild Wars is a worthy contender to WoW's throne......... An excellent MMORPG and one that easily sits alongside Blizzard’s World of Warcraft at the top of the genre. A streamlined experience and excellent blend between PvP and RPG are the largest strengths of Guild Wars; if you have any interest in the genre make sure to check it out...
As a matter is of fact IS an MMORPG game.. MASSIVE Multi Online ROLE PLAYING GAME .. its massive because can play with thousand of people in the same server and you can contact anyone or teamup with anyone at any time you want .. however the game limits for obvious reasons the quantity of people that can be physically in the same place..its have Multiplayer and "Single player" and only can be played Online . and its also an RPG game.. So yes its a MMORPG game.. but not a standar one , it doesnt play exactly like WOW or EQ2.. neither EQ2 plays exactly like WOW or viceversa... there are key diferences and thats because their developers want some originality in their games and have diferent goals, for example Guildwars was made as massive as possible for free online play. And the diferences in the gameplay are because they have diferent opinions about what is fun in a MMORPG game. Some people might call it CCORPG and even call it MSORPG (massive Single player online RPG) but that can be played also as a MMORPG game. Really there arent rules set in stone that says which is the correct way MMORpgs should be played. The fact that the game competes in the same WOW and EQ2 genre.. and its being compared already in many reviews not with the -sims online- but with the same World of Warcraft for nothing. thanks your help .

Last edited by Nv40; 05-11-05 at 09:01 PM.
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-05, 08:37 PM   #30
ChrisRay

You know guys.. I havent seen all of WoW either.. I havent experience the high end zones or any of the "Raid" Content which supposively what makes the better part of WoW. Honestly. I was just handing out my opinions of both games.I have played them both rather extensively. Alot more than most reviewers have to actually give a remotely objective comparison of the two. I was just mustering up my thoughts about the 2 games and I thought I'd share them with you all... I was never trying to promote my opinion as gospel here.

Oh and on a second note. I think EQ 2 has a better quest system than WoW. Unfortunately EQ 2's reward per quests makes alot of people not want to do them. As the rewards are poor experience and money/item wise.
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-05, 09:56 PM   #31
NrthnStar5

My First MMORPG was WoW. I bought into the hype, and wanted to try it for something different. It made me fall in love with the mmo genre. WoW opened the doors for a whole new computer gaming world. I loved WoW. I was following EQ2 mildly around the same time, it intrigued me quite a bit. I got wow first because of all the "praise" going around. I was captivated by it. Then i got EQ2 for christmas. I started it a bit, but didn't get into it right away because i was captivated by WoW. But then around level 18ish i got bored with WoW. I started to explore EQ2. I got really into it and now i love it. I'm only a level 17 Erudite summoner, but i've been loving the game. There is just something about it that i can't fully describe. The world and it's history, and just it's look and feel. However I've only grouped a couple of times, and I am not a member of a good guild. I'd love to find some good online friends to play with, but i've been having a blast soloing as well. WoW is a great game, but there is something about EQ2 that is special, that WoW doesn't have. Both games are really good, And I play both because they offer different experiences. I like to see good honest comparisons, and not bashes against one or the other.

Oh... and if anyone wants to invite little ole' me into their guild, i'm on the Everfrost server =-)
NrthnStar5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-05, 02:55 AM   #32
pingu2

some quests give good/great rewards - the 2 weapons i use at level 50.. quested, my belt, my boots, my earrings, my bow, 4 of my bags.. quested - still working on a few other quests for new gear (1 group quests still).. there are plenty of good quests out there - there are quests that just give a small %xp and a few gold sure, but they are of the kill 20 so and so kind (the sort you just happen to do without meaning to as you play)

oh and I appreciate your mini-review - not trying to bash that.. just giving my point of view too!
pingu2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-05, 07:53 AM   #33
Sgt_Pitt

lol chris you havent even seen half of EQ2 yet, you been to Sol eye in lavastorm, or feerott, or everfrost ? huge levels with so much high level content. sharks the size of whales, and in lavastorm the volcano is something to behold.
Old 05-12-05, 08:14 AM   #34
ChrisRay

Oh for pete sakes Pitt. I havent seen half of WoW yet either. Jeez. The whole idea that I havent experienced enough of EQ 2 to get a good idea of it plays/feels and the content layout in general is ridiculous. EQ 2 feels small compared to WoW and EQ 1. The way the world is designed has a compacting feel to it. There may be some large zones but the overall diversity and size of the world is small. Compared to EQ 1 and WoW.
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
Old 05-12-05, 08:21 AM   #35
|MaguS|

Chris is right, the zone in EQ2 compared to EQ1 are tiny feeling even though they are not sometimes. I think its due to every zone in EQ2 having mountains as barriers (atleast from what I have seen) and when the zones meet they don't meet as fluid as they did in EQ1. When traveling the Karana's in EQ1 it would feel endless since the only time you knew the current zone ended was either by a landmark or you got the "Please Wait, Loading" msg. EQ2 always has a door or a gate... the barriers are pretty defined making it feel closed in.
Old 05-12-05, 08:25 AM   #36
ChrisRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbtmagus
Chris is right, the zone in EQ2 compared to EQ1 are tiny feeling even though they are not sometimes. I think its due to every zone in EQ2 having mountains as barriers (atleast from what I have seen) and when the zones meet they don't meet as fluid as they did in EQ1. When traveling the Karana's in EQ1 it would feel endless since the only time you knew the current zone ended was either by a landmark or you got the "Please Wait, Loading" msg. EQ2 always has a door or a gate... the barriers are pretty defined making it feel closed in.
Yup. This is exactly what I mean. EQ 1 and WOW zones blend together well. EQ 2 zones do not. The way EQ 2 is designed is you could connect any zone to each other and it would fit because there really is no pattern. In EQ 1 and WoW, The zone connections have to make sense to what they are connecting too because of the way landscapes connect to each zone.

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator