Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-15-05, 05:27 AM   #1
midnightgamer

Default Jen-Hsun: PS3 GPU has more transistors than all CPUs and GPUs of current consoles

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....ventID=1060901

Nvidia CEO Jen-Hsun Huang said in the recent conference call:

"we are days away from the beginning of one of the most exciting eras in the videogame industry. the amount of technology we're developing is nothing short of astounding. The nvidia GPU driving the next generation Playstation will deploy more transistors, than all of the CPUs and GPUs, in all three current generation game consoles combined."

"The power of the Playstation GPU coupled with the Cell processor, will give the developers the ability to create unbelivable content. We are really excited to be working with Sony, on one of the most important computer entertainment, and digital consumer platforms, of the 21st century."

the current game consoles (PS2, Cube, Xbox) have about 200-214 million transistors when you add up Emotion Engine, Graphics Synthesizer, Gekko, Flipper, Intel Xcpu, Nvidia NV2A.

but if PS3 GPU is only slightly higher than this combined number, that's only about the same as NV40 - GeForce 6800 which has 222 million.
midnightgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-05, 07:44 AM   #2
MUYA

Send a message via MSN to MUYA
Default Re: Jen-Hsun: PS3 GPU has more transistors than all CPUs and GPUs of current consoles

but if?
U just registered to make this point?

ya u don't know, joe public doesn;t know....only some select NV and Sony personnel know.

In time we we all know...but I will hazard a guess in saying that the GPU used in PS3 will rival the ATI GPUs in xbox360..it's just logic
Corsair K90 - Corsair Venegance 2000 Headset - Razer Naga Epic
Corsair 600T Case
MUYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-05, 11:43 AM   #3
LiquidX
xxxxxxx

Default Re: Jen-Hsun: PS3 GPU has more transistors than all CPUs and GPUs of current consoles

It really doesnt matter how much more power it has over a PS2, Cube, and Xbox combined being that there all using outdated technology. Infact I would be shocked if it didnt. What matters is how it stacks up against the Revolution and XBox360.

Such a statement would have carried more weight if he said it would be more powerful than all next gen GPU's combined.
LiquidX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-05, 12:00 PM   #4
vX

jen hsun is good for over-hyping things, i'll never forget the 2003 article I read where he bragged about how great the fx series was going to be for gaming, and again in 04 with sm3.0, he over does everything in his interviews, but I guess he has to, the main man of the company needs to be the most optimistic.
vX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-05, 12:09 PM   #5
oldsk00l

You're right, you will NEVER see him going out there saying that there won't be honey this year.

One reason why it might not outweigh the 6800 in transistor count is because of limitations in the lithography tools. Intel was in this pickle for the longest time trying to release the Itanium. I'm sure nVidia has some ultra-super-duper-mega-monster transistor-count design/idea somewhere.
Old 05-15-05, 12:33 PM   #6
|MaguS|

Considering that IBM made cell with such a huge amout of transistors (234 Million) Im sure they will assist Nvidia with developing something for thier GPU.
Old 05-15-05, 04:08 PM   #7
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidX
It really doesnt matter how much more power it has over a PS2, Cube, and Xbox combined being that there all using outdated technology. Infact I would be shocked if it didnt. What matters is how it stacks up against the Revolution and XBox360.

Such a statement would have carried more weight if he said it would be more powerful than all next gen GPU's combined.
Yeah, when I first read it I thought he was talking about current PC processors and videocards put together, but current consoles it's kinda like "wait, are you saying that the card is better than 3 pieces of 3-4 year old hardware combined? Is that really saying much?".
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-05, 07:54 PM   #8
Nv40
Agent-Fx

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxgamer
jen hsun is good for over-hyping things, i'll never forget the 2003 article I read where he bragged about how great the fx series was going to be for gaming, and again in 04 with sm3.0, he over does everything in his interviews, but I guess he has to, the main man of the company needs to be the most optimistic.

Well with the FX the problems werent its features ,but its Dx9 performance. When it comes to the Nv40 they did it right .. ahardware with many features and excelent performance. so when it comes to SM3.0 hype.. he was completely RIght..

It can take games to the next level in graphics , or make then Faster ,or both of them , and Far more easier to work for developers..ALready there are a few games that benefits of this.. even games that only PS3.0 can do the job in high quality settings, and that default every other non Ps3.0 hardware for to PS1.1 only for compatibility reasons.
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-05, 08:39 PM   #9
midnightgamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidX

I was gonna say, the statement would've been much more impressive if he said PS3 GPU would have more transistors than all the GPUs and CPUs of all the current consoles PLUS Xbox360, combined
Old 05-15-05, 08:41 PM   #10
midnightgamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Yeah, when I first read it I thought he was talking about current PC processors and videocards put together, but current consoles it's kinda like "wait, are you saying that the card is better than 3 pieces of 3-4 year old hardware combined? Is that really saying much?".
more like 4 to 6 year old hardware.

PS2 hardware was completed by early 1999 if not before. Gamecube hardware was completed by 2000. Xbox by early 2001.